Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the grips say a wiring harness is required for the install but under my spedo it had both the hook ups and I didn’t use the harness. Has anyone else 18 or newer done heated grips, chime in with experience from their install or did I do the grips wrong without the harness.

I have installed the kahuna grips, and they are meant to be Interally installed rather than outside the bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ve done a set on a 18 and on a 19 rgs with using the plug under the instrument panel. Think it has a purple and black wire. I think the extra harness thing is only for the ultras or whatnot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve done a set on a 18 and on a 19 rgs with using the plug under the instrument panel. Think it has a purple and black wire. I think the extra harness thing is only for the ultras or whatnot.
Thanks glad to know I wasn’t going crazy, they give you so many wires in the packaging making you think you need it all ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Going to install Harley davidson kahuna heated grips on my 2018 roadglide special.
Wondering from what i read here the connection from the grips Is located under the instrument panel? And if so all i have to do connect the plug from the grips to these to connectors ? Also putting on some Factory 47 Rivera 12 . Just wanted to know do i have to get another wiring kit to hook up to battery ? Thanks for help guys in advance

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Going to install Harley davidson kahuna heated grips on my 2018 roadglide special.
Wondering from what i read here the connection from the grips Is located under the instrument panel? And if so all i have to do connect the plug from the grips to these to connectors ? Also putting on some Factory 47 Rivera 12 . Just wanted to know do i have to get another wiring kit to hook up to battery ? Thanks for help guys in advance
I did the same install last winter, big kahuna grips, 14" f47 bars, and RGS. No extra kit, everything is plug and play. The connector is located under the cluster, I think it is the only loose connector left there.

You will love them, good luck with the install.

PM me if you have a question

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got the dealer to install during 5000 mile service a few weeks back. Despite what the P&A catalog says, the extra bit of harness is NOT needed on our Road Glides.

They are a great accessory, though with the temps at around 70-75 in the next couple of days, I won't be using them now for another 7-8 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just installed Fat Bagger EZ bars and heated grips on my 18 road glide ultra, I found no power lead under cluster. Had to use supplied jumper from air flow heated grips and spliced into the cigarette lighter for power.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Just installed Fat Bagger EZ bars and heated grips on my 18 road glide ultra, I found no power lead under cluster. Had to use supplied jumper from air flow heated grips and spliced into the cigarette lighter for power.
Yes, the RGS and RGU are wired differently.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes, the RGS and RGU are wired differently.
Correct. For some reason the Ultra doesn't have the accessory lead in the nacelle, you have to run it from an adapter that plugs in under the left side cover. Total PITA.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Correct. For some reason the Ultra doesn't have the accessory lead in the nacelle, you have to run it from an adapter that plugs in under the left side cover. Total PITA.

Train, I saw your post yesterday. I went to the garage 3 times yesterday to look for the install instructions for the grips but I could not find them. I thought there was a note in the instructions about running the harness on and ultra and where/how to run the wires. Again I apologize I can't find it, I think it's what you're looking for.

Maybe anybody else who has done a recent install would jump in.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Train, I saw your post yesterday. I went to the garage 3 times yesterday to look for the install instructions for the grips but I could not find them. I thought there was a note in the instructions about running the harness on and ultra and where/how to run the wires. Again I apologize I can't find it, I think it's what you're looking for.

Maybe anybody else who has done a recent install would jump in.

Yeah, it's in the instructions, but they've vague.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Guys I have a FLTRX MY18 so not the special.. My dealer also said that I need KITHARN HD69201599A, is this true for the Road Glide Custom? If anyone know it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Guys I have a FLTRX MY18 so not the special.. My dealer also said that I need KITHARN HD69201599A, is this true for the Road Glide Custom? If anyone know it would be much appreciated.

I was just getting ready to ask this...

What say the Forum?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I was just getting ready to ask this...

What say the Forum?

Not sure on the standard but I suspect it is the same as the special. If you remove the nacelle, there should be one loose connector on the right side under the tach-that is your connection.

If it is there, you don't need the "xtra cable" the parts dept would like to sell you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
These are the wires I have behind my nacelle one is Purple and Black the other is black and white .. The black & white wire is part of the TBW or TGS harness and I assume the purple and black is the power wire
Yes. The white and black wires come from the TGS for the internal heating element. The purple and black and switched 12v. A heated right side grip just slides on like a normal grip and you just plug the end into the of the TGS. The heated left grip will have 2 sets of wires; one will go to the white and black wires and the other one will go to the purple and black.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yes. The white and black wires come from the TGS for the internal heating element. The purple and black and switched 12v. A heated right side grip just slides on like a normal grip and you just plug the end into the of the TGS. The heated left grip will have 2 sets of wires; one will go to the white and black wires and the other one will go to the purple and black.
TY for the clarification, I put the wrong pic up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this post, I can now return the extra wiring harness. On 2019 FLTRX the black/purple is definitely under the nacelle and easy plug and play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found the Black/Purple for power, but where does the other set of wires connect from the left-side (black/Black-White)? I do not see a 2-pin connector housing in the sensor harness to plug into. Please help.
2018 RG Grip wiring.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts