Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious which everyone prefers. I ride with a couple guys who have heated grips and they swear by them, but I would think a heated glove would be better at keeping the top of your hand warm. That's where I think my hands get the coldest. Which method do you guys use?

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
483 Posts
Grips

I'm curious which everyone prefers. I ride with a couple guys who have heated grips and they swear by them, but I would think a heated glove would be better at keeping the top of your hand warm. That's where I think my hands get the coldest. Which method do you guys use?
I like the heated grips since they are ALWAYS there. I don't always have gloves with me. Actually I do since I live in Montana, but only towards the end of the riding season. I've had the backs of my hands get cold but not to the point that I couldn't ride on. If you rock the grips on high you'll be fine unless you have a problem with circulation. Just my 2 cents.:grin:

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
When I lived in a state that one would like heated gear, I used gloves. I like the idea of having my whole hand covered. I still have them and the rest of my heated gear in case I ride to the North during colder weather.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
heated grips are always there at the ready. Climb in elevation, rain, early morning, the heated grips can make a huge difference in comfort.

When I know I am going to ride all day below 40degrees, I will sometimes add heated gloves to the mix, but if you keep your core warm enough, the heated grips are all most will need.

I own heated soles, heated vest, and heated gloves. I have heated grips and heated seat on the Road Glide. With the heated gear I don't have to bulk up on layers to where I can barely move.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Great question, I was just pondering this earlier in the week. I was checking out a product called Heat Demons, which is an internal heater for any grips. I tend to forget or temporarily misplace my gloves so I was thinking a grip heater would be the better choice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For me when my hands get cold I lose dexterity in my fingers. I have heated grips on my RG and they keep my fingers and palms warm. That allows me to grab the bars and levers effectively. The backs of my hands getting cold don't really bother me or affect my dexterity too much.

I have a pair of heated gloves for when I ride my Hayabusa. They work great and keep my entire hands warm. The only drawback to them is they will not keep your hands warm sitting on a shelf in your house..... The heated grips will always be there on your bike but the gloves are a tad bulky so unless I plan on going for an extended winter ride I prefer a regular pair of gloves. So when your out riding in the day and the temps are comfortable but drop 30 degrees @ night your screwed

·
Registered
454 Posts
Great question, I was just pondering this earlier in the week. I was checking out a product called Heat Demons, which is an internal heater for any grips. I tend to forget or temporarily misplace my gloves so I was thinking a grip heater would be the better choice.
Heat Demons 1+

Great product!:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live up north so I have both. I find the gloves better when it's downright cold, because they do keep the whole hand warm. A bit of a hassle but so is getting ready for a cold ride period. But the grips are great when the unexpected happens or when you have a ride early morning or late night and temp is lower. I'm glad I have both. Warm hands make riding safer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had heated grips on both motorcycles and smowmobiles.......I would go with heated gloves as they provide heat to your whole hand.....the grips only get the inside of your hands and don't always help that much with the fingers......my two cents worth......

·
Registered
197 Posts
I never ride without gloves so I would go with heated gloves. Less stuff on the bike to break and I dont know if the grips I like come heated. One less wire to pass thru the bars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heated grips that work well, but the tops of my hands are getting cold from the wind, so this is what I made out out alumni
Those are awesome.

I have a few other irons in the fire right now, but I have been debating on which I want to get ahold of. My fingers hurt when I ride in colder temp so I was thinking gloves, but honestly I think doing both would be the best course. Just one more thing I have to save for.

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went with the gloves last month. They keep me warm pretty well except for the coldest rides. Now to deal with the ankles.. LOL

Reactions: Tourhog

·
Registered
612 Posts
Those are awesome.

I have a few other irons in the fire right now, but I have been debating on which I want to get ahold of. My fingers hurt when I ride in colder temp so I was thinking gloves, but honestly I think doing both would be the best course. Just one more thing I have to save for.

I have both !!!! The grips are only good for mild weather but the gloves totally kick @$$ in cold weather. I never turn my heated grips on anymore. I am not one for gloves but they really save your behind in the 40 and below temps.

I took them off my 16 rgs i wouldnt even waste my time running the wires internally as i never used them once i got the heated gloves

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I have worn gloves when riding since I was a kid so riding without them would just be "off" if you know what I mean - That said, I love the heated Grips on my sled - I wear a very thin leather glove (better feel and response) and cannot put my heat past 2 on a 1-5 setting - I could wear a thicker glove to keep the tops warm but I seldom ride when it is under 40 and the heated, always ready grips are worth every penny - Turn a dial, wait about 3 mins and PRESTO......warm hands

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just rode from Cleveland to Chattanooga last weekend. Temps between 28-40. I had heated gloves the other 3 had heated grips. Guess who didn't have to warm his hands on the engine. When bone chilling cold gotta go with gloves. I'd still like to have grips for reasonable cool temps though

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I turn on my gloves, that glorious heat just covers the entire back of my hand. I can believe everyone who says that grips are so handy, you never have to worry about not having them with you, but...not for really cold weather.

Having warm palms while the stinging cold wind freezes the entire back of your hand, fingers, and thumb, I'll stick with the gloves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are the grips from HD just the plain black? Or can you add the cushon grips like we mostly have replaced once we bought the bike? or would that be defeating the purpose?
Are they comfortable?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have never used heated grips, but I love my heated gloves. I can easily ride in the low 20's for hours on end with no problems.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I live in New England, and have ridden throughout the winter in temps as cold as 9 degrees above zero, and have used just heated gloves, and the combination of heated grips with heated gloves. They work well together when the temps really drop! If you have and either/or situation, I would purchase good quality heated gear; i.e. gloves, jacket liner and possible boot liners. For the hard-core cold weather rider, those are the essentials. It all hooks into your bikes electrical system, and as long as your charging system can handle the extra load, it's the best way to stay warm. My winter rides are with the Polar Bear Grand Tour of New Jersey. We ride from CT to NJ or PA, some rides 300 to 400 miles round trip, so we know how to keep warm! If it's just the "occasional" ride that may turn cold on you, get heated grips, as everyone else has been saying, they are always there, ready to warm your hands, BUT, they are not as good as heated gloves for a long, cold, ride.

Scoop

1 - 20 of 25 Posts