Road Glide banner

Heated grips

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  outlawrench 
#1 ·
Went to the local shop yesterday and bought the new kahuna chrome heated grips for my 19. I also bought the “required electrical connection update kit.” Came home from the store opened everything up and started reading directions. I decided to get the grips on first then worry about wiring after. I got the wires ran through the handlebars hooked up all the connectors under the gauges and put the front end back together. It was almost 10 getting that much done so I decided to leave the rest for today.

This morning I went out and installed my mustang solo seat so I could make sure the controls were in the right spots. I flipped on accessory power to listen to the radio. I had turned the heated grip switch on last night and it was still on this morning. All of a sudden while looking at my bars/controls/mirrors I realized my hands were getting warmer. The power connector under the gauges is hot....why then is the 40 dollar bag of electrical connectors necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Good question. I just got new bars put on my bike and was thinking of adding the heated grips myself at a later time, but was under the impression there was a kit I had to get to run wires back under the tank to the battery. So yours worked simply by plugging in the connectors already there?

#3 ·
Yes on my 19 there was a switched power wire with the correct connectors installed for the heated grips. But the Harley site and catalog claim you need an extra kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
On models other than Road Glides, you need the electrical connections kit to connect the heated grip power pigtail up in the fairing. On the Road Glides, there is a connector in the nacelle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.