Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lower fairings. I want to put a heavy breather and also put speakers in the lower fairings. Harley-Davidson says that the breather will rub against the speakers (Boom! Audio speakers) even with the short breather tube. Has anyone put a heavy breather on their bike and made it work with an aftermarket speaker?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks tight to get the door open on the lowers with the heavy breather.
I just got the Hiflow so I could get into the lowers then realized they were a PITA. So I ordered 7" woofers. Take a look at some heavy breathers they sit very close to the lowers.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Not sure why you posted this in the Carisma Audio subforum. I'll move it to the correct spot.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Why not go with the short heavy breather, get a set of CVO lower speaker boxes, and put the Hawg Wired speakers in them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you've never riden a bike with a heavy breather, all I will say is save your money, I had one for about 6 months and had a permanent bruise where the freakin thing sat against the inside of my knee. They look awesome, but if you plan on doing more than bar hoping, beware!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If you've never riden a bike with a heavy breather, all I will say is save your money, I had one for about 6 months and had a permanent bruise where the freakin thing sat against the inside of my knee. They look awesome, but if you plan on doing more than bar hoping, beware!!
True, unless you are like me and ride like a frog on a dissection table...then doesn't matter what breather is on there

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've put a Heavy Breather on my RGU over 11,000 miles ago. I don't have any trouble with it hitting any part of my leg. I've had no problem with riding 500+ miles in a day either. It just doesn't bother me to have the HB on the bike.

Maybe it's because I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam. Maybe my legs are longer and bend in a different place when referenced to the bike.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

I've put a Heavy Breather on my RGU over 11,000 miles ago. I don't have any trouble with it hitting any part of my leg. I've had no problem with riding 500+ miles in a day either. It just doesn't bother me to have the HB on the bike.

Maybe it's because I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam. Maybe my legs are longer and bend in a different place when referenced to the bike.
I've got no issues with the heavy breather either. I have also extended my floorboards out 3/4" so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Helps a lot. I ordered the compact heavy breather today. I sat on a street glide the other day that had one and it was more out of the way than any other air cleaner i've used. I was going to give up on the idea of having the speakers in the lower fairing, but thanks to y'alls input, i'll probably go for it. I have 1" floorboard extenders from harley goodies. I think those help keep my knee off the breather.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
If you put something right in front of the speaker it will interfere with the sound. You will get the best sound quality if the speaker is un-obstructed. I agree that the heavy breather looks really great but if you are going to have to comprimise and put the short filter on there it might be better to go with something like the ventilator breather or a custom round breather (there are numerous variations) so that you get maximum sound quality from you speakers. If it is more important to have the Heavy Breather then put speakers in the saddle bags and leave them out of the lowers. That way you get the best of both worlds. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
519 Posts
These work for me I just angled the HB slightly and it all fits no muss no fuss
Just installed my lowers 2tone to match paint this weekend did 333 mile mountain ride all groovy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
i really liked the heavy breather that came stock on my bike. until i put lowers on. then even with the compact filter, even though i still had room to get into the doors, i felt like it was just too much jammed all up there.

sold the heavy breather, put on a black ventilator and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Was just trying a different route had the standard types of air cleaners on my bikes in the past was trying heavy breather for the look also for the extra 1% performance seen that already paid for it I'm just gonna milk it and till I get tired of it then probably sell it like you ...Or not lol
I think I'll look for a shorter air filter carthridge though maybe k& n might have something shorter

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Having the speaker right in front of the air filter is a performance mod. Every time a bass note hits the speaker moves and forces more air into the filter. It’s like having a free supercharger. Hang on tight if you listen to a lot of rap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts