Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if anyone sells heavy duty hinges for the tour pack? Mine are starting to bend from the excess weight ive put on them and years of abuse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone sells heavy duty hinges for the tour pack? Mine are starting to bend from the excess weight ive put on them and years of abuse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I just picked up a set of the heavy duty latches and hinges in black, I think they look great and work great, they were a pain in the ass putting them together along with the lock mech but I think they will be worth it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
999 Posts
Aaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Am I the only person here who thinks the Mo.Co. shouldnt cheap out on things like tour pak hinges and screw you over by selling you "the good stuff" as an accessory?!?!
How about making the hinges that don't break under normal wear the standard, stock equipment!!!!
OK, sorry, rant complete.

HSP

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Am I the only person here who thinks the Mo.Co. shouldnt cheap out on things like tour pak hinges and screw you over by selling you "the good stuff" as an accessory?!?!
How about making the hinges that don't break under normal wear the standard, stock equipment!!!!

HSP
+1....I've ranted about this repeatedly!

For whatever reason, there are many who actually crow about the top-quality replacement parts that are available for our bikes, either from MoCo or aftermarket.

From my perspective, this is not only true, it's an UNDERSTATEMENT. In most cases, you can't buy a LOWER quality replacement part than what came on our bikes! This should be a source of deep shame for MoCo, not pride.:mad:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

HSP
The remarkable thing is that up until the 2014 model year, the CVO bikes had those crappy stock metal latches!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How about the $30 RGU tour pack lid retractable tether. Don't ya think MOCO can have this as a standard option rather than the insulated cable? Nope... because they know your going to buy one or get one as a present.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well.......

HD not making the retractable teather a stock part is understandable, I guess. Isn't that more of a convenience than a replacement for a necessary part that sucks right out of the crate? But installing crappy hinges and latches that don't stand up to the test of time is complete BS!
Don't we spend enough of our hard earned money on these motorcycles, American Icons, that we should expect and demand that the better quality parts automatically come standard?!?!
Oh god, here I go again! Sorry :(

HSP

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm with you on this one. As long as we keep buying the upgrades as accessory's nothing will change. I am not loyal to brand when shopping for mods. I always look for quality and if that comes in a brand other than Harley, that's where my money goes.
This may be a bit spiteful but I enjoy stopping at the dealership and letting them see the aftermarket things on my bike, and the sales the Moco lose to greed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HD not making the retractable teather a stock part is understandable, I guess. Isn't that more of a convenience than a replacement for a necessary part that sucks right out of the crate? But installing crappy hinges and latches that don't stand up to the test of time is complete BS!
Don't we spend enough of our hard earned money on these motorcycles, American Icons, that we should expect and demand that the better quality parts automatically come standard?!?!
Oh god, here I go again! Sorry :(

HSP
I would love to see a HUGE Harley rally in York, PA, where all the riders brought all the junk parts they don't want, and can't GIVE away, to place in a long row of dumpsters for the HD execs/engineers/marketers to view. Nothing short of a national spectacle will change their minds.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You can stick with the sheet metal stock hinges or buy the "upgrade" potmetal cast hinges. Nothing but the best.... :eek:

I just put the Kuryakyn hinge covers over the uglyazz OEM hinges. The many corners H-D seems to cut on these premium priced bikes is astounding. The Victory and Indian Bikes are looking good and H-D seems more worried about their dealers being fashion shops than sellers of quality engineered bikes. I am hoping mine lasts without too much "unscheduled" maintenance.

Maybe General Motors should offer upgraded ignition switches as an option?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
How about the $30 RGU tour pack lid retractable tether. Don't ya think MOCO can have this as a standard option rather than the insulated cable? Nope... because they know your going to buy one or get one as a present.
HD not making the retractable teather a stock part is understandable, I guess. Isn't that more of a convenience than a replacement for a necessary part that sucks right out of the crate?

You don't want the restractable one anyway, numerous reports of it falling apart.

My stock tether never wanted to go in the right direction, till I folded it over and pinched it with a pliers so that it bends in the right direction as soon as there's slack in it. OL' lady thought I had pinched it somewhere by accident.
Works fine now.

Hinges, seats, lighting, storage pouches, wheels, pegs, windshields, gauges, tires, shocks, forks, bars, hand grips, radios, speakers, transmission, primary drive/clutch, cams, engine, etc etc could all be lots better from the factory, but then what would be left for the stealers to hose you over with?? they gotta make a living too.......

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Hinges, seats, lighting, storage pouches, wheels, pegs, windshields, gauges, tires, shocks, forks, bars, hand grips, radios, speakers, transmission, primary drive/clutch, cams, engine, etc etc could all be lots better from the factory, but then what would be left for the stealers to hose you over with?? they gotta make a living too.......
Sounds right charitable of ya! And I applaud that attitude....long as we're talking about YOUR money!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts