Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to remove the heel shifter but didn't want to spend 20 to 30 bucks on the little chrome spline cover. If you remove the shaft and insert it backwards so the double spline is on the inside, you will not have to buy a cover. THe open splines are on the inside and no protruding shaft. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I hate the heel shifter and will be removing mine as well. Paying the $$ for a part that looks better than anything else I could codger up.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I just remove the damn lever and I'm done, I dont give a rats butt about the shaft, etc.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Just lower the rear lever and get use to using it. You'll love it. The heel toe shifter is like fine Scotch, it takes time to aquire a taste, but once you do.....

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I removed my heel shifter long ago and I just put the chrome cap on the shaft.
I like the extra room my foot has on the floorboards especially on long road trips.
Using or removing the heel shifter is a matter of personal choice, some people like the heel shifter and some don't.

·
Registered
296 Posts
. The heel toe shifter is like fine Scotch, it takes time to aquire a taste, but once you do.....
Scotch is good! In fact, ANY fine whiskey is good ;-)
Heal shifters are a nice convenience, just don't be like those Gold Wing riders and wear sandals with black socks. :eek:

Scoop.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
At first I thought about removing mine but then started using it. Heal for up shifting and toe for down shifting. Now I love it.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,449 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that removing the heel shifter is one of the few things I intended to do over the winter months but had forgotten to do it. Extra room for my size 14s will be welcome.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Not a true NW'ner , no socks with my sandals. Take the heel shift off and try air shifting, have always side booted or sandal side toe when not stomp shifting

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just lower the rear lever and get use to using it. You'll love it. The heel toe shifter is like fine Scotch, it takes time to aquire a taste, but once you do.....
Yep.....Just lower the rear lever a bit....works great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
shift spline cover

Almost every town has a bike shop of some sorts that deals with crashed and scrapped bikes... I got one of thos little chrome plastic spline covers at a place called Bent bike in Surrey BC...cost me two bucks... a far cry from teh HD price

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Heal shifters are a nice convenience, just don't be like those Gold Wing riders and wear sandals with black socks. :eek:

Scoop.
Hater LOL:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ditto, what he said............

·
Registered
491 Posts
Agreed, I'm lost for the first few miles when I jump off my RGU and get on my Wide Glide.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
i don't like the heel shifter. so that's the first thing that i remove on a new bike. the second thing i do is to install a spacer on the shaft that will move the toe shifter out to the outer position which makes it more in line with my foot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts