Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 21 Road Glide S. It did not come with a heel shifter and I would like one. HD seems to be out of stock. I did notice that there is a smaller spacer to replace the larger spacer that is currently on the bike. Does anyone know a good source for the proper spacer for a heel shifter? If anyone has taken their heel sifter off and has the shifter & spacer, HMU.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
114 Posts
Presumably, you came from a bike with one. How many miles do you have without one? I was in the same position, but now have over a thousand miles without it and don’t miss it as much as I thought I might. Initially, it was tricky finding neutral, but it loosened up, or I got used to it.

that’s what I’d recommend. Try it for a while and then see if you feel the same. If you already have, then you can disregard ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had bikes with them and without them. I just put on a pair of Ciro frame mounted pegs & I have steel toe boots which makes the toe shifter a little awkward for upshifting without adjusting it. Therefore, I want to try a heel shifter before adjusting the pegs and toe shifter.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,811 Posts
I've had bikes with them and without them. I just put on a pair of Ciro frame mounted pegs & I have steel toe boots which makes the toe shifter a little awkward for upshifting without adjusting it. Therefore, I want to try a heel shifter before adjusting the pegs and toe shifter.
I use the Ness hidden heal shifter and I quite like it - it would probably work quite well with you wearing steel toe boots as they tend to take up good real estate on the floorboard.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Here you go. Powder coat it if your bike is blacked out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the Ness hidden heal shifter and I quite like it - it would probably work quite well with you wearing steel toe boots as they tend to take up good real estate on the floorboard.
I'm not finding the "Ness hidden heel shifter" by searching. Do you have a link to it? this sounds interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I've got a DM into @NCPiper about this. I don't have privileges to post on that forum yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
No worries, hopefully you get a response.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
114 Posts
Yeh, I had to adjust mine up a bit (from the classifieds post above, ten bucks is worth it).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Correct..... not between the two. But there is a huge spacer between the Toe Shifter on the 2021 RG and the shift mechanism. With a heel and toe shifter, that spacer is about the half the size but still present.
Anyways, he will need a new spacer to go between the shifters and the shift mechanism doo-dad.

Some of us replaced the spacer with this:
1988 – Present SoftBrakes’ Spring Loaded Spacer | Softbrake.com

They also make the longer one for those with only the Toe Shifter.

Unless something has changed on the newer models there is no spacer between the heel and toe shifter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct..... not between the two. But there is a huge spacer between the Toe Shifter on the 2021 RG and the shift mechanism. With a heel and toe shifter, that spacer is about the half the size but still present.
Anyways, he will need a new spacer to go between the shifters and the shift mechanism doo-dad.

Some of us replaced the spacer with this:
1988 – Present SoftBrakes’ Spring Loaded Spacer | Softbrake.com

They also make the longer one for those with only the Toe Shifter.

@NCPiper Thanks for the info. I DM'd you back.

·
Administrator
4,811 Posts
I'm not finding the "Ness hidden heel shifter" by searching. Do you have a link to it? this sounds interesting.
Sorry, it is the Yaffe Hidden Heel Shifter. I never had a heel shifter prior, but I sure like this one now. Stays away from the boards and there if you want it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That is a cool design. (pictured from Dennis Kirk website)

It looks like it mounts below the floorboard, yes?

I am wondering how much that scrapes when cornering?

I scrape my floorboards quite often when cornering.

Sorry, it is the Yaffe Hidden Heel Shifter. I never had a heel shifter prior, but I sure like this one now. Stays away from the boards and there if you want it.

·
Administrator
4,811 Posts
That is a cool design. (pictured from Dennis Kirk website)

It looks like it mounts below the floorboard, yes?

I am wondering how much that scrapes when cornering?

I scrape my floorboards quite often when cornering.
You don't even get close to scraping this shifter - you'd have to rip your floorboard off to get to it - and then you'd really be having bigger issues.

Here's a pic of the shifter on mine - I do have floorboard spacers on my bike (had them on prior to the shifter), but I would have to run the spacers on my older 2008 frame in order to clear this shifter, which works from 2009+

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ahhh, I see. I thought it ran under the floorboard.
Cool design indeed.

Thanks for the pics

You don't even get close to scraping this shifter - you'd have to rip your floorboard off to get to it - and then you'd really be having bigger issues.

Here's a pic of the shifter on mine - I do have floorboard spacers on my bike (had them on prior to the shifter), but I would have to run the spacers on my older 2008 frame in order to clear this shifter, which works from 2009+

1 - 20 of 43 Posts