Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,772 Posts
Ahhh, I see. I thought it ran under the floorboard.
Cool design indeed.

Thanks for the pics
It does a little, it's just hard to see from the pic. From the shifter shaft it drops down, a little below the floorboard, then slowly swoops up to stick above the board height.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Would a heel shifter help in finding neutral?
I personally found it easier to use the heel shifter when going from 1st gear into neutral. Using only the toe shifter I was often hunting....toe over, toe under....repeat until neutral happened. Full disclosure: my previous ride was a '17 Ultra Limited and for some reason that sumb**** was hard to get in neutral the first 3k miles. The RGL I'm on now shifts like a cupcake.

Another benefit of heel shifting for me: I can adjust the toe shifter lower, as I don't need to get my boot toe under it. I just barely raise my boot and I'm on the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
5,986 Posts
I personally found it easier to use the heel shifter when going from 1st gear into neutral. Using only the toe shifter I was often hunting....toe over, toe under....repeat until neutral happened. Full disclosure: my previous ride was a '17 Ultra Limited and for some reason that sumb**** was hard to get in neutral the first 3k miles. The RGL I'm on now shifts like a cupcake.

Another benefit of heel shifting for me: I can adjust the toe shifter lower, as I don't need to get my boot toe under it. I just barely raise my boot and I'm on the shifter.
Great explanation. Extended levers work great for anyone want more foot room.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

The best thing I ever did was go with extended H&T levers. I wear size 13 boots and wanted the entire footboard available and unencumbered. My boards are extended forward and outboard, so different levers were needed. These are both extended units from Softbrake. The picture doesn't illustrate it, but both shifter pegs are only barely above the top of the board.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I do find it a bit amusing. For along time They had both and post after post of how to get rid of it and what you use to cover the gap up. there must be 1,000 of these things laying a round.. As a cost cutter HD gets rid of them. Now they are in demand.
At one time I used mine all of the time . It was habit. Wore my boots to post and no way I was marking them up on the shifter. Latter in life that all changed. Some how over time I stopped using it and then it became normal not to. I know there a couple around here some where but No idea where they are stuffed now.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce00

·
Registered
460 Posts
Never had one until I got the RGS...I kinda liked it for awhile but it just took up too much room for my size 12's so I took it off. Don't miss it. I think mine's kickin around somewhere (black). I took the rubber sleeve of the end of it and cut it to fit as a spacer to fill in the gap it left between toe shifter and primary.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I know I got a few hanging on the garage wall with probably a 1/4" of dust on them😂
My "other bike" has the heel shifter on it, as I always start the bike before putting my gloves and helmet on, and 50% of the time I kick it in gear climbing on😂😂😂
I grab a handful of front brake when climbing on now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just a follow-up on the heel shifter. I had it on for three all day rides. It felt "wrong" having to lift my heel with my feet forward to shift and it took up too much space on the floorboard. Now it is taking up space in my garage.

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
12,540 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts