Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed it. And damn does it sound fucking killer. I'm amazed at the difference and I dont have it flashed yet. I'm a musician so I can discern good from bad. I hear things, parts if songs the have certain sounds. Listening to Molly Hatchets Creeper really kicked ass. Ill.put it back together tomorrow. I did split the pods and seal them. Actually installed the left speaker with the pod on the bench. Made it easy. But that's a once only now that I siliconed them shut.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats, when you get all put together, turn it all the way up, and blast Molly Hatchets Creeper. I'll let you know how clear the sound is from house.:grin:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Very nice. I knew when you posted a few weeks back when you said you had ordered that set up, I knew you would like it!!! I can’t say enough about the Biketronics stuff, yes there is always some one that says there’s sound better, but I really like the sound I get from my set up. That’s just me I guess. If you decide to go with lowers with speaker pods I know you would love it. Great to hear you like it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Am I bad!!!! You have lowers already. What you waiting for!!! Get your self some pods and another set of Biketronics 6.5’s and rock that Road Glide. You won’t be sorry.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I bad!!!! You have lowers already. What you waiting for!!! Get your self some pods and another set of Biketronics 6.5’s and rock that Road Glide. You won’t be sorry.
Haha. I want to. Abes sooner than later I will. I have the GTOs I took out of my fairing that would suffice for now. What pods are you using? Harley ones are crazy expensive.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I scored some Harley ones brand new on eBay a few years back, unpainted. A hundred bucks. I was doing some work for a body shop guy and we traded up. So he painted them for me. The grills on the other hand where expensive. They even charged extra for the screws. All in all I love it and happy I did it.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I scored some Harley ones brand new on eBay a few years back, unpainted. A hundred bucks. I was doing some work for a body shop guy and we traded up. So he painted them for me. The grills on the other hand where expensive. They even charged extra for the screws. All in all I love it and happy I did it.
Have the hogtunes in my cart. Vivid black. 149.99. I have the speakers. For now. Do I daisy chain them off the fairing speakers? OS split it further up theline?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just installed it. And damn does it sound fucking killer. I'm amazed at the difference and I dont have it flashed yet. I'm a musician so I can discern good from bad. I hear things, parts if songs the have certain sounds. Listening to Molly Hatchets Creeper really kicked ass. Ill.put it back together tomorrow. I did split the pods and seal them. Actually installed the left speaker with the pod on the bench. Made it easy. But that's a once only now that I siliconed them shut.
I was also pleasantly surprised with my 4180. I had a Rockford-Fosgate amp and 170 watt Alpine speakers in my Victory Cross Country that I used to own. I installed that myself and was very happy with it.

In my current RG I only have the 2 speakers in the fairing but I got the 4180, just in case I ever decided to upgrade to 4. While on FM, and inside, the stations weren't coming in super clear, so I was actually a little disappointed at first. Then I connected to the GTS via bluetooth and the system rocked hard and was pretty damn clear! I pretty freakin happy with it now.

I'm glad you really enjoy it too. I can't imagine any plug-and-play kit beating it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I ran mine from a Biketronics 4180 amp. From what I understand is to run four speakers from the 2180 is run them in parallel. Not sure how that’s done. Maybe some one else can chime in. I don’t what to give bad advice here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I ran mine from a Biketronics 4180 amp. From what I understand is to run four speakers from the 2180 is run them in parallel. Not sure how that’s done. Maybe some one else can chime in. I don’t what to give bad advice here.

The 2180 is setup to run 4 speakers in parallel out of the box. Simply connect the other 2 speakers to the terminals on the amp and the 2180 will sense the load and take care of everything internally. With four 4 ohm speakers in parallel you’ll get about 120W to each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm running the same setup in my 2017 RGU. A great setup. I ran the speaker cables for the lowers when I installed the amp and fairing speakers. I now have the hogtunes housing for the wet lowers which I intend to install in the spring. I didn't purchase the hogtune speakers as BT advised me to stay with 8 ohm speakers. I found a set that fits and should work wellI. I didn't need to have my radio flashed as I used the BT line leveler.
I'll post when I get them installed. Good luck with your install.
Bill

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was also pleasantly surprised with my 4180. I had a Rockford-Fosgate amp and 170 watt Alpine speakers in my Victory Cross Country that I used to own. I installed that myself and was very happy with it.

In my current RG I only have the 2 speakers in the fairing but I got the 4180, just in case I ever decided to upgrade to 4. While on FM, and inside, the stations weren't coming in super clear, so I was actually a little disappointed at first. Then I connected to the GTS via bluetooth and the system rocked hard and was pretty damn clear! I pretty freakin happy with it now.

I'm glad you really enjoy it too. I can't imagine any plug-and-play kit beating it.
I had originally ordered the 4180. But the lady from the Harley shop.sent me the quote for the 2180.15 kit and I went with it. I'm really trying to spend less money and pay off everything so I dont work the hours this year that I did last year. 800 hours OT was a lot. And it was only so I could just spend whatever on whatever whenever I could. Lol. I figured I'd save myself about 800 bucks. Which I have so far. But. Seems I'm going to buy the lower pods lol. I do have the set of GTO 6.5" 3 way speakers.

What's funny. I took my antenna off to put the tourpak on. When I first turned it on I had great FM signal to the station it had been on. I've only used the FM the first ride home fro. The dealer. Lol.

No matter. I'm super happy.

Will adding speakers and dropping the output to them make me less happy? Or will 2 more speakers with a little less wattage be better?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have the bt2180.15 in my '15. Two things, you don't need to get a radio flash. It will more than likely ruin your experience, it ruined mine until I got it flashed back to stock and Biketronics even paid for it. And the second thing is, stop dickin around already and get some speakers in those lowers. When you are done and set up you should have a grin so big they won't be able to fit your head in a picture. I'm running Hogworkz lowers with pods and the quality is really top notch. Not sure if the pods are available separately though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Will adding speakers and dropping the output to them make me less happy? Or will 2 more speakers with a little less wattage be better?
You nailed it on the head and a lot of guys automatically assume 4 is better than 2, but that's not always the case. What speakers are you running in the fairing and what would you add to the lowers? Of course it's very subjective and a lot will boil down to your riding style and speaker choice.

Up to around 45-50 you'll likely see an improvement and be happy. If you spend a lot of time in that range it's probably a good choice. Depending on speaker, most will wash out in the lowers above 55-60 and are toast at 65 or highway speed. Add the wash out of the lowers together with less power to the speakers in your face and you may not be happy at all if you spend a lot of time over 60 mph.

A specific example is hertz speakers - they like power. Put 150W or 180W to them and they like it and would be great in upper and lower around town. At 120W you're leaving a lot on the table and likely won't be impressed with the volume at highway speed. The bad part is the only way to know is to try it and this experimenting crap gets expensive quick.

Another solution is pro audio type speakers (for purposes of this discussion something with a high sensitivity and not necessarily a very full sound) in the lowers. The hertz SV 165 is a common choice for the lowers. They don't have a lot of depth to the sound compared to other speakers, but they get loud as hell and don't wash out as early as most speakers so they add some fill at highway speed without a ton of power going to them.

Guys can debate the value of lowers and rears all day long. I've always believed in making the front stage as strong as possible because of my riding style. Everything else is icing on the cake, it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for a limited amount of improvement.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the bt2180.15 in my '15. Two things, you don't need to get a radio flash. It will more than likely ruin your experience, it ruined mine until I got it flashed back to stock and Biketronics even paid for it.

Just curious what flash you had in the bike to start with and what you had it flashed to that you didn't like. I've done installs on multiple bikes and without fail the ultra flash has been better than a stock special or stock CVO flash. The only ones I leave alone are ultras because they of course come with the ultra flash to begin with unless someone had boom crap installed by dealer. Did you adjust line leveler settings or leave them at default?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You nailed it on the head and a lot of guys automatically assume 4 is better than 2, but that's not always the case. What speakers are you running in the fairing and what would you add to the lowers? Of course it's very subjective and a lot will boil down to your riding style and speaker choice.

Up to around 45-50 you'll likely see an improvement and be happy. If you spend a lot of time in that range it's probably a good choice. Depending on speaker, most will wash out in the lowers above 55-60 and are toast at 65 or highway speed. Add the wash out of the lowers together with less power to the speakers in your face and you may not be happy at all if you spend a lot of time over 60 mph.

A specific example is hertz speakers - they like power. Put 150W or 180W to them and they like it and would be great in upper and lower around town. At 120W you're leaving a lot on the table and likely won't be impressed with the volume at highway speed. The bad part is the only way to know is to try it and this experimenting crap gets expensive quick.

Another solution is pro audio type speakers (for purposes of this discussion something with a high sensitivity and not necessarily a very full sound) in the lowers. The hertz SV 165 is a common choice for the lowers. They don't have a lot of depth to the sound compared to other speakers, but they get loud as hell and don't wash out as early as most speakers so they add some fill at highway speed without a ton of power going to them.

Guys can debate the value of lowers and rears all day long. I've always believed in making the front stage as strong as possible because of my riding style. Everything else is icing on the cake, it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for a limited amount of improvement.
I have the Biketronics Titan 2 6.5s. They made by H.A.T. I was planning on the Hertz SV 165 because its rated more as a Mid sounding of PA type that will help more in the middle lower spectrum. The highs from the BTs I have are there. I dont need more tweeter.

I'm usually up at 55+ mph. I do week long trips where I'm at 75 on the highway. My riding varies a lot. But around town I'm just putting not a speed freak.

Just curious what flash you had in the bike to start with and what you had it flashed to that you didn't like. I've done installs on multiple bikes and without fail the ultra flash has been better than a stock special or stock CVO flash. The only ones I leave alone are ultras because they of course come with the ultra flash to begin with unless someone had boom crap installed by dealer. Did you adjust line leveler settings or leave them at default?
Honestly. I dont see how the sound I'm getting can get much better. I. Seeing what he is saying. Only reason I mentioned I was a musician was that I've been on the board side and have a fairly discerning ear. I'm no smarter than an audiophile that works with audio equipment. But I have experience with sound set ups. Be it 10,000+ watts for a band. Lol.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
When I installed the 2180.15 my bike had the stock or factory flash in it. If I dig through some old emails I still may have the specifics of what stock is and what they flashed it to. So this was before the line leveler from BT came out, but after discussing my setup with BT they suggested to get the bike flashed by the dealer. So I did and the bike sounded horrible. I contacted BT and they offered to pay the dealer cost to flash it back to stock and offered me one of their early model BT355's. Got the radio flashed back, BT paid for it and I installed the line leveler and everything was much better. I have left the line leveler settings alone and am quite pleased with the sound I am getting. If you have any recommendations on making it sound better I would definitely appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have. I am running the BT speakers from the kit in the fairing and Hertz MPX 165.3's in the lower fairings.

Is the Ultra flash better due to utilizing the fader or is there more to it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had originally ordered the 4180. But the lady from the Harley shop.sent me the quote for the 2180.15 kit and I went with it. I'm really trying to spend less money and pay off everything so I dont work the hours this year that I did last year. 800 hours OT was a lot. And it was only so I could just spend whatever on whatever whenever I could. Lol. I figured I'd save myself about 800 bucks. Which I have so far. But. Seems I'm going to buy the lower pods lol. I do have the set of GTO 6.5" 3 way speakers.

What's funny. I took my antenna off to put the tourpak on. When I first turned it on I had great FM signal to the station it had been on. I've only used the FM the first ride home fro. The dealer. Lol.

No matter. I'm super happy.
All that matters is that you're super happy. :grin:

I hear ya about the OT... I'm going to have to work a bit of that this year to cover all my goodies. Hopefully I still have enough time to put on some hard miles. Buying a new touring bike but not having enough time to actually ride it, would be a travesty. :surprise:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts