Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is probably a long shot and that helmets are one of those things with a ton of personal preference, but I was hoping to find some folks with experience in a few helmets. I have had my eye on a Shoei RF-1200 for a few months. I went in to my local cycle shop and was chatting with one of the sales guys, and he said that the 1200 was a more aggressive helmet that is really meant for people who are leaned forward on a bike. He pointed me at the RF-SR, and then at the Arai Defiant-X and Regent-X because he mentioned that they were designed for someone who sits more upright. I have the Harley equivalent of the Scorpion Covert (I think Scorpion made these for H-D and allowed them to put their name on it....then mark it up 25%), but it’s far louder than I would like. So these are the questions that I have: 1)was this guy correct that the 1200 wouldn’t be ideal because of the design, 2) even if that’s true does it make that much of a difference, and 3) what has been everyone’s experience of noise levels between those helmets? Thanks All!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the 1200, it’s awesome in my opinion.
I got my girlfriend the rfsr and it’s ok but not as nice as the 1200.
I’m sure Arai makes nice stuff too but I haven’t had one to compare.

Reactions: Zfleck

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'm biased. Since I have an odd head, the Aria fit, most others don't. I've heard that there are quieter helmets than the Aria, but I've had no experience.

Reactions: Zfleck

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If your head's oval, Arai is your helmet. They don't do modulars though. Shoei makes great lids that don't work for my head. I'd rank Schuberth as the best out there, and they fit my head.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You should try them both on. As mentioned, Shoei and Arai fit different heads. The reason they mentioned one helmet is better for leaning forward is probably for proper operation of the vents. With a fairing and windshield there’s not a lot of air flow anyway so it shouldn’t matter but if you want air in the vents get one designed for upright riding. I can recommend the Shoei Neotec but it depends on fit and the style you want.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the Arai Defiant X (with the 2015 Snell rating) for ~$200 less than the 2020 snell model. No real difference other than that I’m pretty sure. I’ll update everyone once I get it and have a chance to ride a bit. Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As mentioned. Round head, oval head. They both fit differently.
Back in the day I would go into the shop and where the helmet for 30 minutes.. I have a Shoei Mellon. That different pressure point will want it off your head after few of its fitted correctly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts