Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumped on the RG before the tornado gets here to run down to post office to mail a package and a local cop pulls me over and writes a citation for non DOT helmet (yeah I have a skid lid). Have a court day May 19th. I hate helmet laws, personally believe it should be a choice for 18 years and older. Ok, done my rant. Will let ya'll know what my penalty is after court. (anyone ever get a ticket in TN for non DOT helmet? What was punishment?

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
i see naples, dover and ramstein. are you still active duty? if so, watch out, they can make life miserable for you over that skid lid. no, they can't deny your sgli if that happens, but they can make you pay for your own medical care if you just get in a wreck, or toss in an article 15 for good measure.

for $100 you can get an akoury that, while larger than your skid lid, is going to be the best fitting dot helmet. bet your court costs/ticket is gonna be more than that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skratch, no, am reserve now. Was active duty 1980-1995. Already searching for the smallest DOT available, appreciate the recommendations.

I've heard the horror stories of "recent" military regs. Had Honda 350 at Ramstein in early 80's, no requirements other than local laws. No vest, no boots, no long sleeves etc.. I had to get a new reserve card last year and rode over to a local post and was really surprised when they let me ride on post without all the safety crap.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I kinda understand why some states adopt helmet laws... Not much different than seat belt laws... With that said, I don't always ride with one...

But it looks like Tennessee has a few exceptions... Add an extra wheel and an Enclosed cab, you'll be good to go.... Lol

In Tennessee, the driver of a motorcycle and any riders must wear either a crash helmet meeting federal standards, or, if the driver or passenger is 21 or older, a helmet that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards, has ventilation airways that exceed one and one half inches in diameter, and has a label on it that says the helmet complies with the requirements of the American Society for Testing Materials, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Southern Impact Research Center, or the Snell Foundation.

The exceptions to Tennessee's mandatory helmet law are for those riding motorcycles with an enclosed cab, that have three wheels in contact with the ground, that weigh less than 1,500 pounds, and that have a capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Is this scenario the same as getting a speeding ticket? Hope you find a legal helmet you like.

I agree about the choice on wearing a lid. I don't when we're in states that don't require it unless we're passing through to a state that does. And when I do wear a helmet, it's a legal one.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
So they pulled you over for the helmet ? Usually they tack that on after pulling you over for something else.

Heck they just need to park at the begining of the Dragon and give tickets. The could pull in a couple hundred grand on an average weekend.

I'd just mail in the payment if thats an option. Why show up to court ?

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I got a warning ticket in PA. about a year before they repealed the law for the same non dot hat .

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Skratch, no, am reserve now. Was active duty 1980-1995. Already searching for the smallest DOT available, appreciate the recommendations.

I've heard the horror stories of "recent" military regs. Had Honda 350 at Ramstein in early 80's, no requirements other than local laws. No vest, no boots, no long sleeves etc.. I had to get a new reserve card last year and rode over to a local post and was really surprised when they let me ride on post without all the safety crap.
I got a Outlaw hat that has the dot sticker now . Its not a lot bigger than my skid and really don't weigh much more.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'll preface my comments by saying that I don't necessarily agree with mandating helmet wearing for folks over 18.

I live in a state that doesn't require a lid if the rider is over 18, but the "hidden" part of the law is that if you are injured, and it can be reasonably proven that the injuries (or their extent) could have been avoided or minimized, your insurance can (and most likely will) deny all medical claims.
For that reason I usually wear one.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Fortunately there isn't a helmet law in CT yet. My skid lid came with a DOT sticker on it. If memory serve me correctly I thought they advertise the skid lids as the "smallest DOT helmet".

·
Registered
337 Posts
My Rant

At 18 years of age you can join the military, be trained to use some of the most sophisticated weaponry known to man and sent oversea to use it. But the "I need to watch over you cause you are not capable of doing it yourself" crowd over here wont let you have a beer in a bar or ride without a helmet. Make a lot of sense to me.

Now that I have that off my chest...

The rules say you have to wear a DOT approved helmet. But you will notice that no one will list the approve helmets ok for you to wear while riding. I say get a DOT sticker off the internet, go to court with it on your helmet and force them to tell you your helmet is not approved. They (the government) wont approve a list of helmets because they (the government) may be liable if that helmet failed and caused serious injury or death.

I like several others on hear were a minimal lid as my state has a helmet law. But when I ride in states the helmets are optional, I tend to let the wind blow through what hair I have left.

Good luck,

Hawkman:cool:

Reactions: sdjiggs

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
The rules say you have to wear a DOT approved helmet. But you will notice that no one will list the approve helmets ok for you to wear while riding. I say get a DOT sticker off the internet, go to court with it on your helmet and force them to tell you your helmet is not approved. They (the government) wont approve a list of helmets because they (the government) may be liable if that helmet failed and caused serious injury or death.
sorry, but this is bad info. true there is no 'list' of approved helmets, but thats because there are so many helmets out there, and compliance is done on the honor system. the government does not test the helmet. the mfr does. and part of the dot approval means that not only is there a dot sticker on the helmet (now with model of helmet) but there is also a dot compliance label sewn into the fabric lining of the helmet. go to court with a dot sticker and show that to the judge, and i wouldn't be surprised if he hit you with a contempt of court charge as well.

i'm pro choice as well. if you want to wear a helmet, wear one. if you don't you should be allowed to make that choice.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you wear a non DOT helmet in a Helmet law state and get hurt in an accident you will be liable at least partially for your injuries as you contributed to your injuries. There are court cases and every time the person hurt while riding lost their case. Medical bills, permanate injuries have bankrupt and ruined many.
I also don't want my tax dollars paying for anyone's care because "they have to live free" and ride without an approved helmet.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Helmet laws suck !

Reactions: sdjiggs

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you wear a non DOT helmet in a Helmet law state and get hurt in an accident you will be liable at least partially for your injuries as you contributed to your injuries. There are court cases and every time the person hurt while riding lost their case. Medical bills, permanate injuries have bankrupt and ruined many.
I also don't want my tax dollars paying for anyone's care because "they have to live free" and ride without an approved helmet.
hey Jim, you just earned the big FU for the day! So you don't your "tax" dollars paying for someone else's care because they chose to "ride free?" well guess what, THEY DON"T asshat! your INSURANCE dollars do! They also pay for dipshits that run red lights, drive drunk, and kill people while texting and driving. That's how insurance works. You pay and pay and pay, until you need to collect, usually because you or someone else caused an accident. Your tax dollars on the other hand go to pay for the illegal alien that is now collecting governmental welfare, to support the indigent and lazy who don't want to work, and the corrupt politician that sucks your pockets dry so that he can give tax breaks to the giant corporations that pay for his beemer and mistresses. Give me a break and stop the bullshit rhetoric. Put down the kool-aid and let those who ride decide!

Sorry folks, rant over (for now)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So they pulled you over for the helmet ? Usually they tack that on after pulling you over for something else.

Heck they just need to park at the begining of the Dragon and give tickets. The could pull in a couple hundred grand on an average weekend.

I'd just mail in the payment if thats an option. Why show up to court ?
I was pulling into a parking lot and he (cop) was pulling out, I turned left across his nose so he got a good look at helmet. Wish I could just mail payment, he said something along the lines that TN doesn't have set fines for helmet violation and the judge has to decide.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I've gotten 3 tickets for non DOT helmets. Each time it's been a fix-it ticket. I have to go to the CHP office and show them my DOT helmet and pay a $10 processing fee. Each state has different laws. (I think) In California the Cop can choose how to write the ticket. BTW, the same thing happened with my non CA emissions pipes... Just a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hey Jim, you just earned the big FU for the day! So you don't your "tax" dollars paying for someone else's care because they chose to "ride free?" well guess what, THEY DON"T asshat! your INSURANCE dollars do! They also pay for dipshits that run red lights, drive drunk, and kill people while texting and driving. That's how insurance works. You pay and pay and pay, until you need to collect, usually because you or someone else caused an accident. Your tax dollars on the other hand go to pay for the illegal alien that is now collecting governmental welfare, to support the indigent and lazy who don't want to work, and the corrupt politician that sucks your pockets dry so that he can give tax breaks to the giant corporations that pay for his beemer and mistresses. Give me a break and stop the bullshit rhetoric. Put down the kool-aid and let those who ride decide!

I don't want to get in a pissing contest over this, but I think you misread his comments. What he said is "IF" your insurance company, or the other parties insurance company, refuses to pay your bill because they ruled you are fully or partially responsible for your injuries by not wearing a DOT approved helmet then you will be responsible for your medical bills; as has been affirmed by the courts. That being said many people can't afford to pay their bills and just walk away from their bills, or declare bankruptcy, leaving the hospital holding the bag. In that case, sometimes the State and or Federal Government steps in and covers the bill depending on the type of hospital, just like they do with the Illegal aliens; using your tax dollars. In other cases the hospital is left holding the bag and over the years many have closed their doors because of this; mainly for treating welfare recipients and illegal aliens who walked away from their bills; not bikers who didn't wear a DOT approved helmet. BTW, I fully agree with the rest of your rant regarding illegals, welfare recipients and corrupt politicians. I believe we should send the illegals back, including the children of illegals born here; that the welfare recipients should have to pass a piss test and prove they are incapable of working and that all the politicians should be fired and we should start with a clean slate and term limits.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Actually it depends on the state. Some states have a system where the state pays when insurance benefits run out. tax dollars at work.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My apologies to any I may have offended with my earlier rant, but to to be clear, I was taken aback by my perception of the phrase "I don't want my tax dollars paying for anyone's care because" they have to live free" and ride without an approved helmet." This one statement, coming from a fellow motorcyclist, so pisses me off that I see purple! This is the most arbitrary and uninformed law on the books. Tell me please, exactly how an "approved helmet" vs an "unapproved helmet" is contributing you your injuries when the old lady in the Buick pulls a left in front of you as you are riding down the highway at 55 miles an hour? How is the "approved helmet" vs the "unapproved helmet" going to contribute to your injuries when the drunk driver pulls into your lane on the back road doing 80 miles an hour? Who gets to decide what type of helmet (if any) we have to wear when we decide to ride a motorcycle AND why do we let them? The very fact that insurance companies have the ears (and pockets) of our ELECTED officials infuriates me beyond words, and a fellow enthusiast parroting THEIR rhetoric is disgusting to me. Are you willing to give up your ability to ride a motorcycle because some bureaucrat believes it is too dangerous? Keep following their logic and see where that gets ya! Instead of agreeing with them, why not band together to CHANGE THE LAWS AS THEY APPLY TO MOTORCYCLES VS AUTO ACCIDENTS? It's bad enough that getting killed on a bike can be written off as a traffic violation instead of vehicular manslaughter, but to throw in the fact that "well, he wasn't wearing an approved helmet, so he is partially at fault." Is simply disgusting and criminally negligent.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.