Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here guys.
After going back and forth on what handlebars to put on my 2010 RG, I have narrowed it down to 1 bar, but cant decide which height. i need to order them today. im 5'6" and want the Santee apes. Cant decide 11" or 14".
Slowglide has the 14s and they look awesome. I wouldnt push them straight up like his though, I would set them more in line with the fork angle.
So 14s or 11s?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
14's!

Im 5'9 and have 14's. Wish I woulda went with the 16's. I did however get longer cables so I can do the 16's.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Go big

I am running the Yaffee 10's, and am seriously consdering going to something taller. The Yaffee's are sweet bars, but I could use more height.
If you are going to run these pulled back a little farther, you shouldn't have a problem.:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not for nothing...but if you are going to have Apes and not push them forward...(which i still don't understand, but to each there own) then i would stay shorter. Get too tall and you will be riding with your hands by your ears... :confused:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not for nothing...but if you are going to have Apes and not push them forward...(which i still don't understand, but to each there own) then i would stay shorter. Get too tall and you will be riding with your hands by your ears... :confused:
I understand your point, and understand you dont like the real tall apes look on RG. Thanks for your honesty! :)
No matter what size of apes 10"-14", if i had them straight up and down, I would have a hard time reaching them.
i have my stock bars rolled as far down as they can go (as close the me as possible tho) and still am stretched( no bending of the elbow) and slightly hunched, with a reach seat. i have super short arms, so if having the bars at my ears is more comfortable, im game.
I wouldnt roll them down too far( at least not farther than the fork angle, probably just up a little more) as I realize that is not aesthetically pleasing.
What I want is the height of the bars so Im about at shoulder height, but have them close to me so I can reach them without having to lean forward to reach them. I have a bulged disc in my lower back, so prefer to ride with my back straight and not kicked back or slumped ,like most Harleys.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
14's!

Im 5'9 and have 14's. Wish I woulda went with the 16's. I did however get longer cables so I can do the 16's.
thanks Tracy! i always hear most people wish they would have gone taller.
I will have to check out the pix of your bike? where are they?
I am running the Yaffee 10's, and am seriously consdering going to something taller. The Yaffee's are sweet bars, but I could use more height.
If you are going to run these pulled back a little farther, you shouldn't have a problem.:D
Thanks Rowdy. As I hear from most people," i wish I would have gone taller"
i dont want that to be the case with me.
Im gonna order the 14"s and sit with them on the bike, check out where the most comfortable position is, and if i decide, it looks funny, or doesnt fit me, i will pay the 15% re-stocking fee and order the 11"s. ( would only be out about $20)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I understand your point, and understand you dont like the real tall apes look on RG. Thanks for your honesty! :)
No matter what size of apes 10"-14", if i had them straight up and down, I would have a hard time reaching them.
i have my stock bars rolled as far down as they can go (as close the me as possible tho) and still am stretched( no bending of the elbow) and slightly hunched, with a reach seat. i have super short arms, so if having the bars at my ears is more comfortable, im game.
I wouldnt roll them down too far( at least not farther than the fork angle, probably just up a little more) as I realize that is not aesthetically pleasing.
What I want is the height of the bars so Im about at shoulder height, but have them close to me so I can reach them without having to lean forward to reach them. I have a bulged disc in my lower back, so prefer to ride with my back straight and not kicked back or slumped ,like most Harleys.

It's all good man! 2 wheels is what's important. I maybe should have stated my opinion on the looks of the apes on a seperate thread as it was not directed at you just more so my opinion. With that being said i hope you get what you like and when you do get your set up we need some pics. RG's are RG's and i like to look at then all in all their various forms!

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
thanks Tracy! i always hear most people wish they would have gone taller.
I will have to check out the pix of your bike? where are they?
Actually the only pic Ive uploaded so far on here is in my album from when I bought it...I'll get one on here tonight of it currently. Ive added a few goodies, have more in the garage to put on it. My husband is painting it this winter so I hate to put it all just for a few months of riding just to take it all off.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all good man! 2 wheels is what's important. I maybe should have stated my opinion on the looks of the apes on a seperate thread as it was not directed at you just more so my opinion. With that being said i hope you get what you like and when you do get your set up we need some pics. RG's are RG's and i like to look at then all in all their various forms!
No offense taken at all J -man! I welcome any and all opinions and appreciate it!:)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK... so i checked out your links. Really a great looking bike. Matter of fact i feel as if i am ripping you off without even knowing it :). I have a set of Black upper and lower forks due to arrive any day. Getting vented HD lowers for Christmas and i honestly have to say i wish i had your shield instead of mine. I hear it is much much better protection. Wonder how it would be fo the wife when she rides on the back instead of her own.

Anyway.. dig your bike. Very similar taste as mine obviously. Thanks for putting up with my stupid write before i look posts!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea... sorry :S Totally my fault. I found your pics. What would be the chance that you have pictures of you sitting on it? (going to look at the links you sent right now). I am getting a headache trying to make this decision! Being Christmas coming time with 3 kids every dime counts and i don't want to get a set of bars and have to send them back and get the restocking fee. Not sure i want the height of the 14" bars. Was looking at 10" and 12" Outlaws myself.
You will find a pic of me sitting on it in the Road Glide Pictures Thread, 2nd link i put in. im really short,5'6", and with these 14" having them set at exactly the fork angle would be perfect for me. i have them up just a little for now.
If you look at Slowglides pics, he has them set past straight up and down, an he is much taller than me. I always hear people saying I wish I would've gone taller, so i did not hesitate to get the 14s. With the 12's i was thinking I would still be reaching forward to grab the bars. The extra height of the 14s allowed the bars to be closer to me when placed at the fork angle. If you are taller than me, and not really wanting to go as high, get some 12's and you will be fine. otherwise, these 14s will work for many different sized people and are designed to roll back or forward for comfort wherever you set them.
they do make an 11" high bar with all the exact dimensions of these, if you dont want em very high, but everyone I talks to wishes they wouldve gone taller.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man!
Dont worry about stealing ideas from me. im happy to share!
Just dont be a copycat. Its up to each individual to make their bike their own. Now, if you go and start getting Grateful Dead stuff for your bike, then I'll be pissed! :D
Windshields are cheap. but the stock chopped windscreen looks best. . Ive been riding with the stock one on all week,and damn is it a windy SOB! Feel like im getting blown around everywhere! Sunglasses barely hangin on. The Windvest works so much better!
But you know, Im happy to trade you my windshield for your lowers!
im saving up for a real exhaust.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks man!
Dont worry about stealing ideas from me. im happy to share!
Just dont be a copycat. Its up to each individual to make their bike their own. Now, if you go and start getting Grateful Dead stuff for your bike, then I'll be pissed! :D
Windshields are cheap. but the stock chopped windscreen looks best. . Ive been riding with the stock one on all week,and damn is it a windy SOB! Feel like im getting blown around everywhere! Sunglasses barely hangin on. The Windvest works so much better!
But you know, Im happy to trade you my windshield for your lowers!
im saving up for a real exhaust.

Truthfully... this is the first real time seeing your pics so stealing not an issue. Just found it funny that things i have on my list are already on your bike. Yea... the dead head too! nah just kidding.

I plan on getting true duals but not sure where i'm going with the exhaust. I'm actually kinda happy with quiet. I've had a lot of reaaallllly loud pipes right at my ears for many years. Here's one of my others and let me tell you, it sounds nice but really loud.

My wife says she can hear when she rides behind me now. So much so that she never knew how much wind was in her ears until i got the glide on the road.

OK, done hijacking. Thanks again for the pointers on the pics.

·
Registered
561 Posts
:D:D
ordered the 14" santees and should have the bike back tomorrow!
Im super excited!
i have 14'' chubbies, love em! just a note my dealer used a original screaming eagle RG equipt.throttle by wire cable and it worked fine, (longer than a stock rg). this made it much easier to get the wire through the bars,without a spice/joint. another thing i just tried my stock 16'' windshield ans i still have clearance between the bars and shield. "SWEET", panhead

·
Registered
37 Posts
The seat makes a big differance also.. I put a Saddlman Explorer on my Roadglide and it moved me up and forward... That totally changed my hand position. I'm glad I did it now becaues my knees were cramped on the boards before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts