Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 RG. How about some specific model numbers and combo recommendations (Head unit, amp & 2×6.5 fairing speakers)? I listen to everything from ACDC, Hank Williams Jr, to Enrique Iglesias and Nikki Minaj. (The more time I spend reading, the more lost I get.. I want to change out SOON and need suggestions that I can just COPY.. ((kind of think a 4 channel amp to add 2 lid speakers later?)). Help please.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Ping Sloride on this forum...he can help you easily for that amount!!!!!"

I wanted too but I thought he dropped off the face of the earth seeing his "kicked to the curb" post. Thanks though, I will reach out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sloride missing in action and Karl unavailable.. back to reading the audio posts and confusion. One thing for sure listening to one speaker SUCKS. Need to figure out before planned ride to National HOG convention in Milwaukee in late August.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ended up going with the monochrome Aquatic AV head unit, Focal 2x350 watt amp and pair of Focal EC165K speakers through Dragonfly Concepts. Should be here in the next couple days. Probably a bit (probably a lot) pricier than if I knew anything about audio and was piecing together stuff ala cart to get to the same level, but I dont know jack and decided not get in over my head. And hey, if it rocks, I can get over the $$.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I was going to suggest an ARC MPAK12 or a biketronics 4 channel bridged kit, but man all in!!!

Congrats!! Wow, Nice stuff!!! thats their stage 3 i guess?

Only comment is get the settings adjusted right...

Amp:105 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (170 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
Speakers: power range: handles up to 80 watts RMS (160 watts peak power)

Have fun and ride safe!! Let us know how it works out!! Should be a monster!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Contact Peter Jensen of Soundz Customz.... I have a 6 speaker Level IV system and it's stupid loud. Your are in the ballpark for 2 speaker system level III or IV... go for IV if you can and upgrade to 4 channel amp for adding additional speakers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay just a final post to close this thread out. Took a couple days of on again and off again to get Aquatic Av head unit, 2.350 focal amp and focal 165 k speakers installed. Instructions from Dragonfly concepts were less than clear on a couple points which left some guess work for an audio beginner like me. Rereading the instructions and searching the Internet for clarity took some time (seering how my work time was always closed time for them). The gas tank removal to run the main power line was another learning moment, buy hey now I've got that down pat also. Okay, so how does it sound? I would say Very good... though not exactly a rolling disco-tech. A LOT louder and clearer than the 2000 Harmon Cardon set up was (see picture of old a new speaker profile). Tuning the amp in the garage, it was "hurt you ears uncomfortably loud" at about 75% of volume. On the road today for test ride, 70-85 mph easy to hear and enoy the music though not as deep and rich bass as I like when I'm drinking beer in front of my home stereo.. (probably need 2 amps and 4 speakers to approach that ideal?). All in all happy with results. Realizing now the inherent difficulty in getting a lot of bass in a two 6.5 inch speaker set up, and the disassembly required to install what I did, I almost wished I had sucked it up and bought 2nd amp and 8" speakers for the inner fairing (seems like that would probably be my choice of location for 8" or 9"'s). Would have been easy to install at same time. As I said before in this thread, I'm sure someone with audio-know-how could have stretched my dollars further and done better or cheaper, but for a novice on his own, I'm satisfied (for now).

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts