Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the must-have tools to carry? Is there a HD or aftermarket kit generally accepted as the one to buy?
I've got a 2010 'Glide that didn't come with a tool kit. I do not plan on doing major surgery on the side of the road. Just want to be able to keep something minor from ruining a trip.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Start with a Tire plug repair kit and a hand pump, a tire gauge, torx bits and some allen keys, a small vise grip, zip ties, a few bungee cords, a good knife, small flashlight, first aid kit... should all fit in the bottom 1" of a saddlebag. Also a few Micro Cloths and a pack of hand wipes.

or there is always the ever popular... Credit Card approach :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with a Tire plug repair kit and a hand pump, a tire gauge, torx bits and some allen keys, a small vise grip, zip ties, a few bungee cords, a good knife, small flashlight, first aid kit... should all fit in the bottom 1" of a saddlebag. Also a few Micro Cloths and a pack of hand wipes.

or there is always the ever popular... Credit Card approach :)
Funny. I've got tire plugs already but didn't think about needing to air up after patching. Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Get a tool roll from your local hardware store & fill it with your basic sized sae wrenches, anything from 3/8" to 9/16", a crescent wrench, pliers, a ratchet and corresponding socket for your spark plugs, tire repair kit, zip ties, electrical tape, allen wrenches and torx heads. It doesn't hurt to carry some blue loctite either. I know it sounds like a lot, but if you place them all in a tool roll properly, it's pretty compact and easy to carry in a saddlebag.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a tool roll from your local hardware store & fill it with your basic sized sae wrenches, anything from 3/8" to 9/16", a crescent wrench, pliers, a ratchet and corresponding socket for your spark plugs, tire repair kit, zip ties, electrical tape, allen wrenches and torx heads. It doesn't hurt to carry some blue loctite either. I know it sounds like a lot, but if you place them all in a tool roll properly, it's pretty compact and easy to carry in a saddlebag.
Lil Chief
Thank you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have carried a 10 mm open and box combination wrench with me over the years and used it many times on tours when someones battery cables loosened up, always your first plce to look on no cranks.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
All the above is good. I carry mine in a couple of zip lock freezer bags so I can see what I am looking for without taking it all out.

For me a good rule of thumb, if I touched it-carry something to tighten it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i have the roll up tool kit that came with the bike....and the one that I had accumulated over the years on my Kawasaki 2 stroke H2....the smaller one has some items that are probably most useful. Zip Ties, Duct tape, electrical tester, etc. But I just threw it in the saddle bag when I sold the H2.
But honestly, mostly, my credit card.

I'm smart enough to know my limitations and with a HD they are pretty high. Minor issues? Like fuse or electrical glitch or nail in tire? No problem. But much beyond that and on a HD I'm calling it in. But I also carry a decent little set in case someone else needs a tool.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I've got these bags: Innovative Storage Solutions

they look small but hold a surprising number of tools and take up virtually no usable space in the saddlebags.

the way that I built a toolkit is to use my bike's toolkit for all the routine maintenance on the bike. if I need a tool, I add it. if I think it's something that I could conceivably do on the side of the road, I add it. if it isn't, then I don't worry about adding that specific tool. pretty much mirrors chief's list.

I have the stop and go mushroom tire repair kit. its a good kit. but instead of the hand pump, I took one of those mini air compressors that you plug into your cigarette lighter and removed the guts to save even more space. plug in, air up. much easier than pumping it up by hand.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I got this CruzTools Econokit (made for H-D) when I bought my ride - it's good quality made in the good ol' USA, and all you need on the road!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
pick and choose what you want to carry or carry all...

Fuses
Loctite
Electrical Tape
Teflon Tape
Zip Ties
Tire Gauge
Wellnuts
Reg. Flat Blade Screw Driver
# 2 Phillips Screw Driver
Magnetic Screwdriver with Misc. Torx, Flat & Phillips Bits
Pliers - Needle Nose - Side Cutters - Slip Jaw
Wire Strippers/Crimper
Small Vise Grip Pliers
1/4" Nut Driver
1/4" - 3/8" & 3/8" - 1/4" Adaptors
Short 3/8" Ratchet
12" Breaker Bar - 3/8"
5/8" Shallow Socket (Dain plugs)
Plug Socket
3/8" Drive Extensions 2" & 6"
3/8" Drive Short 1/4" and 6 MM Sockets (12 Point)
Allen Sockets - 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 5MM, 7/32", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" (some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Torx Sockets - T20, T25, T27, T40, T45 ( some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Wrenches - 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 10MM, 12MM, 13MM
Medium Size Adjustable Wrench
Allen Wrench Set
Mini Flash Light
Flat Repair Kit
Harbor Freight tool roll

1 - 11 of 11 Posts