Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy of mine that I went to school with that along with,that along with his dad,run a motorcycle shop.i try to take my bike to them on things that I can(bike is still under warranty)because I like to support my local business's.im looking at some 14 inch apes.i have a 2011 RG CUSTOM. It is equipped with ABS brakes.i asked him about installing my bars and he had no problem with it but was curious about the ABS system. Something about he thought Harley had to do that part because of the ABS system. He is checking on it now. When our purchasing the extensions,is there anything special about the ABS brakes? Or is it just a Plug and play deal? Also,buy the extensions from Harley? I get 15% off there.thanks

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
He's probably thinking about bleeding the brakes on am ABS system. It is possible to throw codes for the brakes.

If you have to replace the upper brake line it is recommended (by guess who) that the bleeding be done on their computer. I didn't replace my brake line when I put on my 12.5 WO 502's but had to break loose the line from the master cylinder in order to re-route the line. When I did all I did was refill the reservoir and work the brake lever until their were no air bubbles coming back out. My ABS works fine. JMO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much slack us on the wire? Enough to go 14?ill probably just take it to them..they'll get u back in there one way or another.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably have to order the bars thru them too..buts that's fine.they treat me really good.on my 2nd bike from them.really good people.mountain creek Harley in dalton,ga

·
Registered
479 Posts
ABS is funny. Easy for issues to pop up on any vehicle that has had the brakes drained enough and not bled on the right machine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I changed my bars I had to replace the lines and it threw some codes. I ordered a kit from Hillcountrycoustoms.com everything was there just plug and play for the most part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
when I replaced mine with the 18" apes I was prepared to go MoCo route with my 20% discount, but then I found DirectHarleyParts.com(a sponsor) and the dealer couldnt touch their price. I did get the whole cable kit(all 3 lines), but only replaced the top brake line to the manifold in the side cover. The service writer told me that I couldnt bleed the brakes myself and that I had to bring it to the shop....wrong...bled them with a power bleeder and good as new. No codes/no worries. I also used Guerilla Baggers wiring kit from DHP(tbw, extensions, and heated grips) and it was painless for the most part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts