Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,

Got a question for you!
I washed my 2018 Harley Milwaukee 8 Road Glide just the other day and I wet the crap out of my inner fairing where the speakers are located on the front grilles on the front channel (left and right).

2 days ago prior to me washing it with a hose I completely drenched my front speaker grilles where my HERTZ speakers are located. The right side is now cutting in and out anytime I turn up the volume. 2 days ago prior to washing it, the stereo was working perfectly. The left speaker works fine and has probably about 95% of all the power coming thru that is being received from my head unit and amp sounding just fine. (sounding as if it were never washed prior to this whole fiasco.)

Also, (DTC code) my check engine light came on today along with the speaker issue.
Prior to today, I had no check engine light appear at all as well!

Here's my question:

Can I blame the whole right front speaker cutting in and out and check engine light coming on thing to me washing and drenching the crap out of my inner fairing (along with the rest of my bike) thing or would it be considered just coincidence. Up until today, I had absolutely no front channel speaker/check engine light problems whatsoever, and mind you I installed a new front channel with all new HERTZ speakers, micro Diamond 600 watt amp exactly 3 weeks ago, and everything was working perfectly...i,e. no issues!

Thanks
John Silivriyanos

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I can't say if the Hertz speakers you installed are waterproof or not. If you used a marine grade speaker it should be waterproof. All motorcycle speakers are water proof, automobile speakers are not waterproof. I washed my bike with a pressure washer and my bike has also sat outside a hotel room many of times in a pouring rain and I never had any issues.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Mine ends up sitting in the rain quite a bit too - Florida... - Just don't use a pressure washer on the inner firing... I took the cones out of both speakers on my 10 at a car wash a few months after I got it.

...Might should have mentioned that bit in the stupid shit you shouldn't tell people thread.:smile:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hertz are not waterproof but they should at least be water resistant. I can't tell you how many times I was caught in the rain or washed my '15 without any issues with the MPX165.3's I had on it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use scotch guard every 6 months on my Hertz still running awesome. Also the SV 200.1 do say water repellent, Pressed paper cone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hertz speakers are not waterproof. Went ever mine get wet, I don't run them until they've dried out. Never had an issue.
Did you use high quality connectors on your install? The cutting in and out might be corroded connectors?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Doesn't help now, but next time wrap the speakers in speaker cloth that is sprayed with camp dry or equivalent. I bought a 5ft by 5ft sheet cheap, can of the waterproof spray, cut to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts