Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep looking for an actual part number and best brand to lower my bike by one inch, I see that some shocks come at 11.5 inch in length. Im wondering is it that they sag an extra half inch to give 11 inch from bolt to bolt?Stock mine measures 12 inch to the centers. If anyone found a shock that rides smooth and can hold two up at around 275 lbs without bottoming out it would be greatly appreciated for a Name and actual part number. Thanks!

I have a 2016 road glide special and 30 inch inseam

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a question, but before you give up that great inch of travel, have you done anything with your seat yet? Mean City Cycles got my feet way over an inch closer to the ground, closer to the bars, and heat in the seat for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just a question, but before you give up that great inch of travel, have you done anything with your seat yet? Mean City Cycles got my feet way over an inch closer to the ground, closer to the bars, and heat in the seat for a very reasonable price.
I love the service and the people down at Mean City Cycles so Im not bashing them ,but I had my seat narrowed and I did not like it. I sold it and went back to stock. It was not as comfortable as my stock seat. And trust me I still have no idea why. Also when they cut the seat down the ugly Harley weld spatter was showing driving me nuts.

·
Registered
307 Posts
10-4. Just wanted to help be sure you are covering all bases. I’m only 5’7” and I would love to put the shorter shocks on my RGU, but I love riding the curves in Arkansas, and I just want to have as much suspension as I can get. Maybe someday I’ll drop a grand and upgrade the suspension, but I’m still enjoying this bike as it is out of the box, and the seat alteration really made a big difference for me. I understand what you are saying about the visible welds, but I went with gel and am quite comfortable, and I added heat to the seat.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Better riding boots will help also. Get boots with a bit of a heel.
I would not drop below 12" shocks(2" of Travel).
You can look into Air Ride shocks, but that ain't cheap and adds a lot of stuff that can fail .

Reactions: ALMOONEY and RichR

·
Registered
681 Posts
I/m 175 usually-my wife is 140-i lowered front with prog cartridge 2"-on the rear I have run pro 944- 12" with 3 inches travel-didn't like that shock-had a extra set of the HD adjustable shock in 12"-i have really liked that one-easy to adj-1 side only-for our weight the adj.is pretty high-no complaints from back seat-which to me is nice

·
Registered
927 Posts
15 RG I changed from stock seat to LePera Monterey which did improve footing then I changed from stock 12 inch air adjust shocks to 12 Ohlins. Which improved footing even more. I was not looking to lower or improve my footing, but immediately noticed the changes due to a fused ankle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Greetings

Currently doing a fair amount of research on rear shocks, and found a great way to lower your bike and get an outstanding ride. 'Super Shox. Look them up, a little pricy but, bike is lowered, much more comfortable and better handling, ultimate win.

Safe riding...!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Greetings

Currently doing a fair amount of research on rear shocks, and found a great way to lower your bike and get an outstanding ride. 'Super Shox. Look them up, a little pricy but, bike is lowered, much more comfortable and better handling, ultimate win.

Safe riding...!
I have the standard 13 " Super Shox. They sit the same as stock HD 12" shocks .

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the standard 13 " Super Shox. They sit the same as stock HD 12" shocks .
Well there you go, somewhat contradicting what I wrote.

Utilizing the Super Shox Relocation Mounts actually allows a longer suspension stroke while lowering the bike. Here is a quote from Brian (Super Shox Guy) replying to my inquiry...

'The best shock for you is the Premium Series 14" shock with 3-1/2" of travel part number SR2-3140-35-12-1 which comes with the SR1-1076-1 relocation mount that will actually lower the ride height by ½” and have more travel than you have now. Ride quality and comfort is absolutely amazing with these shocks and the best choice for solo or 2-up loaded or not. Total cost is $800.00 for the complete package'.

They quote further lowering potential with same relocation mount and 13" shocks, just check fender clearances.

Not sure how Big Gary stayed the same as stock height, but whatever, you can accomplish your goal of lowering your bike without sacrifice.

Safe riding...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Utilizing the Super Shox Relocation Mounts actually allows a longer suspension stroke while lowering the bike. Here is a quote from Brian (Super Shox Guy) replying to my inquiry...

'The best shock for you is the Premium Series 14" shock with 3-1/2" of travel part number SR2-3140-35-12-1 which comes with the SR1-1076-1 relocation mount that will actually lower the ride height by ½” and have more travel than you have now. Ride quality and comfort is absolutely amazing with these shocks and the best choice for solo or 2-up loaded or not. Total cost is $800.00 for the complete package'.

They quote further lowering potential with same relocation mount and 13" shocks, just check fender clearances.

Not sure how Big Gary stayed the same as stock height, but whatever, you can accomplish your goal of lowering your bike without sacrifice.

Safe riding...
Thanks, i sent my bike and weight to them for a quote. :nerd: the shocks look like the real deal.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts

Safe riding...
2 different shocks. Neither will lower the rear below stock height of a hd 12" Suspension. Just saying since I own the standard SS Shocks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, i sent my bike and weight to them for a quote. :nerd: the shocks look like the real deal.
Hey Rich,

BTW

Another goofy if not dazzling fact about our bikes (I too own a '16 FLTRXS), is that one shock has 12" centers (the spring side), the other 12-1/8" centers (the shock side).

Bobinator
(Secret) President, Secret Society of the Sharknose

·
Registered
132 Posts
I first tried the 13 super shox and then changed to the 14” with the lowering blocks. I love them. I’m just about 5’6 with a 28” maybe 29” inseam. No problems at all and the 14” eat the harsh bumps like nothing. Also it is just a nice ride and they look dam good. 2016 RGU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Remember the lower the bike is the more likely you will scrape the bottom of the bike on speed bumps and other things. I have 13 inch shocks on my 08 and both my feet are flat on the ground and I'm 5' 7" tall. A different seat may help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ditto on Mean City Cycles! Great service!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just put a 1" lowering kit on it.
Don't do this!
I did this on my 2018 RGS and found that due to the change of the shock angle using the lowering blocks that they caused my shocks to rub my bags, luckily i caught them early and took them off before they rubbed right though!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts