Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I am having a hard time believing that you have to change the front fork oil at the 1000 mile service. The stealer told me 3 hr to do the service all fluids changed and all the other things have to be check out and the fork oil changed. Noway you can do all in three hrs. I have changed oil in my fxd and it is easy compared to the fltru. Went to an independent and he told me no way only at 50,000 and it takes about 5 to 6 hrs just to change the fork oil. Any input woul be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I don't but that at all. I just had my front legs changed out, with new fork oil of course, and it was a two hour job. That was at an Indy not a dealership. I would throw the bs flag on the hours required. I would also throw it on the 1k service timeline to change it out.

Rowdy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something not right here. Either there is a misunderstanding of some sort, or I would avoid this dealer!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
50,000 miles is what harley calls for, for fork oil change,not at 1000 mile service. Someone is trying to make money off you,or should i say stealing money from you.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I just checked my service manual, and it is 50k on the fork oil not 1k.

Rowdy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is a good example of why the service manual was one of the first things I bought for my bike, even though I have no intention of doing major service myself. I like to know how things go together, but it also makes it harder for a dealer (or Indy of that matter) to snowball me.
Others are correct- 50k for the fork oil. find a new dealer.
Ian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
confused

I checked out my owners manual and the service book and both has the chart showing fork oil change out at 1000 miles. I also feel they are trying to get over me, i think i will keep my eye out and if i feel any difference then i will change ou the oil. also in my service i used amsoil in motor and primary and i my puting 70-90 extended amsoil. Never used it before hope its as good as they say. thanks for the imput. this site is the best on the net keep up the great work.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
I checked out my owners manual and the service book and both has the chart showing fork oil change out at 1000 miles. I also feel they are trying to get over me, i think i will keep my eye out and if i feel any difference then i will change ou the oil. also in my service i used amsoil in motor and primary and i my puting 70-90 extended amsoil. Never used it before hope its as good as they say. thanks for the imput. this site is the best on the net keep up the great work.
Next time in that stealer(dealer) walk in waving the Bull Shit flag . They're not even close to playing fair. Front Fork oil change is every 50K. As far as that five or six hours goes , How many beers we talking about here ?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Ok , I am having a hard time believing that you have to change the front fork oil at the 1000 mile service. The stealer told me 3 hr to do the service all fluids changed and all the other things have to be check out and the fork oil changed. Noway you can do all in three hrs. I have changed oil in my fxd and it is easy compared to the fltru. Went to an independent and he told me no way only at 50,000 and it takes about 5 to 6 hrs just to change the fork oil. Any input woul be helpful thanks.
Sorry But I do not believe for one second any dealer told you that.
Post dealer name I will contact them my self and if they tell me something like that stand by for an interesting show.
I read this kind of stuff on the net often and find it is someone with a bone to pick .
Front fork oil is a 50K service and at that time they do seals and bushing and you do not worry about it again for another 50K.
here is how they look at 50K.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

If that is the New Orleans dealer, I believe it. :( We have people coming up to Jackson and Meridian to buy because they won't buy there.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I don't know what service manual & where you're looking but mine 2011 pg. 1-11 maintance sch 1.5 states 50,000. miles. If the dealer is telling you this he's full of "SHIT" Have him show you!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK everyone is right . I talked to the dealer about the time needed to change out the fork oil and they told me 3 to 4 hrs. I was going by the books on the mileage and as much as it hurts to say I was reading the book wrong, my bad. In the frist col. it says replace . I am a dummy please do not tell my wife it will add gas to the fire.lol. First time i read the book wrong hope it is the last time . Thanks for all the feed back nice to know There is help out there when you need it, to all thanks again.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Its all good! Besides,.. you ever hear of a bike breaking down because it needed its fork oil changed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks chainsaw sometimes i can not see the forest for the trees, lol now my next problem ha ha was trying to find out what size wrench fits the head light adjusters any help out there thanks

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Can't help you there,.. my headlights point the sky as well,.. but when it gets dark I get off the bike. Vampires and werewolves come out in the dark. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats when i ride the most maybe the stealers will tell me

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it is metric Next time i go to the stealer shop i will ask .Just to have later on when i need it thanks all

·
Registered
629 Posts
If yours was the worst mistake I had ever made due to misreading a source, I would consider myself VERY lucky!!
We have all been there. Overall, you are better off to have misread the book than to have a true "stealer" to deal with!
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
silverado705;6280 now my next problem ha ha was trying to find out what size wrench fits the head light adjusters any help out there thanks[/QUOTE said:
A 3/16 socket will fit the headlight adjustment screws just fine .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts