Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to go on my first overnight trip with the Glide. What must-have items do I need?

The plan is to stay at a hotel instead of camping but we’re going to find one as we go so don’t know how “safe” the bike will be.

I’m not at all wealthy, so am hoping to avoid making first-timer mistakes by buying a bunch of crap.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't over think it.
First, make sure the bike is in order. Oil, tires, air pressure, etc. Wear the right gear for the weather you anticipate. Better yet, bring gear for the weather you don't anticipate. All of my touring gear is rain proof. If yours isn't you might want to invest in even a cheap set of rain gear that goes over your riding gear. If you are going to stay in a hotel, get online and make reservations. Nothing worse than not being able to find a room. If you are eating in restaurants, make sure the town you are staying in has one.
Other than that, stay safe and have fun.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I just did my 1st last summer for SW7 and heres what I found to be helpful - Not sure how you pack your bags but I picked up the "Luggage" that drops right into and is shaped like our Saddle bags....and I say this as someone here told me about taking Socks, Underwear and the T Shirt you want to wear that day and fold them tight into a individual zip lock bag....force all the air out and repeat - Saved a TON of space for me with this...just grab that days ziplock and head out!! - Also, if you have a top pack or in my case, back pack strapped to the rear sissy bar......keep your rain gear as quickly accessible as possible - I also pack a front tire lock coupled with my alarm and cover - Ask the Hotels if you can park upfront or worst case, get a 1st floor room with a spot open for your bike RIGHT outside the window.......and THEN try and get some sleep

Basic Mechanicals should be checked of course and any small tool wrap can't hurt too - Also, Zip Ties and Locktitie take little room and can make all the difference in the trip if shit goes sideways

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
For a one night'er I just pack a fresh set of rags and a tooth brush. Spare set of shoes just in case it rains.

The scooter has an alarm and pager, and I put a big master lock in the front brake rotor. Bags have theft resistant mounting bolts.

$15 rotor lock. Just a cut resistant master lock with the hasp dipped in plasti-coat.

I have a seat cover to keep the damp off the seat. I really hate wet seats and wet boots in the morning.

If I'm pretty sure it might rain, or fearful of it finding a new owner over night, like in Jersey, I'll bring the cover. The cover has its own alarm.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
All good advice so far. I pack a rain suit, good tunes, clothes and something to wipe the bike down in the morning. I don't go crazy on the locks, I have good insurance. I would be heartbroken, but shit happens and sometimes no matter what you do to stop it you can't. Seen videos of 4 guys with 2 stout metal pipes load a bagger in a van in about a minute and a half. Wheel lock, chains, nothing I can think f will stop them if they want it.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
All of the above is great advice. Most first time trips, I believe, most riders take more than they need. That makes room tight if you pickup small items on the way. Lay everything out and just use common sense, this first trip will be fun and a learning experience. You can always ship items home if needed.
Enjoy

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a one night'er I just pack a fresh set of rags and a tooth brush. Spare set of shoes just in case it rains.

The scooter has an alarm and pager, and I put a big master lock in the front brake rotor. Bags have theft resistant mounting bolts.

$15 rotor lock. Just a cut resistant master lock with the hasp dipped in plasti-coat.

I have a seat cover to keep the damp off the seat. I really hate wet seats and wet boots in the morning.

If I'm pretty sure it might rain, or fearful of it finding a new owner over night, like in Jersey, I'll bring the cover. The cover has its own alarm.
Yep. It’s just a one-nighter. Pager and alarm? Is that a Ultra or CVO thing (mine is just a Custom)?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Just an overnighter? Enough money for gas, food, drink, hotel. Most hotels have all the soap, shampoo, conditioner, and will even give you a cheap toothbrush and a comb if you ask.

I always park under the front awning.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Overnight kit:

credit card and cash. Pay cash for meals, booze and trinket, credit card for accommodation and gas, easier to check in at hotel/motel with credit card and faster to pay at the pump for gas.
1 pair clean underwear
1 pair clean socks
1 short sleeve tshirt
1 long sleeve tshirt
shave kit; toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant or anitperspirant, couple of dental toothpicks, aspirin/ibuprofen, any other prescribed meds, ear plugs, breathe right strip, condoms, darth vader mask for your sleep apnea.

Wear for the trip, good boots or shoes, good quality gloves, eyewear, helmet if you so desire and doo rag. Gonna be sunny, wear some spf 30 sunscreen and reapply at each gas stop.
Bring some rain gear, if you have it you won't need it.

You get the left saddlebag, she gets the right saddlebag. Things you will need more often at the top, things you hopefully won't need (rain gear) at the bottom.

Keep your sunscreen and a small pack of baby wipes near the top of the bag on her side. Wallet left glove box, phone, right glove box, take them with you whenever you leave the bike. Lock up both bags and ignition every time you leave the bike.

Check your tire pressures before you leave home, check your suspension pressure (if stock) before you leave home.

First stop, 30-40 miles down the road, see how everything is riding/packed and check on your passenger if it there first time going overnight. After that, stop where you want or for gas whichever comes first.

C.G.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If your using a sissybar or tour pak bag, use the rain cover that most bags come with. Water gets into everything when your riding. I don't think I've ever gone a a trip that was at least 2 days where it didn't rain at least part of the time.

Also, some type of spray cleaner. I have been on trips where so many bugs were splattered and dried on the fairing and windshield, that you couldn't see through it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
All good advice so far. I pack a rain suit, good tunes, clothes and something to wipe the bike down in the morning. I don't go crazy on the locks, I have good insurance. I would be heartbroken, but shit happens and sometimes no matter what you do to stop it you can't. Seen videos of 4 guys with 2 stout metal pipes load a bagger in a van in about a minute and a half. Wheel lock, chains, nothing I can think f will stop them if they want it.
I feel the same way. I try to stop in a decent area. (I check the crime rate for the zip code I'm stopping overnight in.) But if they want your bike, it will be in the back of a van in a minute. I'll be pissed if it got stolen until I realize Geico is about to help me buy the next model year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I'll throw in my little piece. Do not ride with your wallet in your back pocket. There is nothing like being 1700 mile away from your house and noticing you can't find your wallet.... ask me now I know.... I've always worn mine in the my back pocket, but we were in North Carolina and stopped after a 150 mile trek, just to find I couldn't find it. I had to pay for the rest of the trip using a picture of my wifes debit card and ID. Surprisingly everyone took it without to many problems. So now I put it in a saddlebag or my touring pak.

Other than that, I personally bring suncreen, change of clothes, ipod, rain gear (even if the forecast is nice)

And yes, I did get my wallet back. Some nice person found it on the side of the road on Blue Ridge Parkway and mailed it back to me (with all the cash that was inside)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

If ya got bags, the rain suit should be part of the normal load out.

Murphy's law says if ya want to make it rain, just leave the suit at home.

Stopping the professional thief's is not the point. Getting them to move on to the next/easier pickings scooter is.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
About to go on my first overnight trip with the Glide. What must-have items do I need?

The plan is to stay at a hotel instead of camping but we’re going to find one as we go so don’t know how “safe” the bike will be.

I’m not at all wealthy, so am hoping to avoid making first-timer mistakes by buying a bunch of crap.

Thoughts?
Where ya headed...’rope?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where ya headed...’rope?
My wife and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary by riding from Tacoma to Portland to however far inland along the Columbia River we decide to go. We have spent upwards of five hours riding on trips before but this will be our first staying somewhere overnight.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
My wife and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary by riding from Tacoma to Portland to however far inland along the Columbia River we decide to go. We have spent upwards of five hours riding on trips before but this will be our first staying somewhere overnight.
In that case, don't set a destination with a time in mind. Just ride and take in the sites and enjoy it. You'll know when to stop for the night. Don't want to be two hours from where you think you want to go for the night and be sick of riding for the day. Takes a lot of fun out of it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In that case, a jumbo box of prophylactics for the evening, some Tylenol/Advil/ibuprofen and water for the hangover and some ear plugs for the wind buffeting the next day..... :grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
711 Posts
i carry a can of pledge and a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for the bugs, peroxide will disolve the bugs and pledge will protect the faring and your windshield. i only take one extra set of shirts long sleave, if its hot wet down at the gas stops. usually stop and buy another somewhere along the way. take a small bottle of monkey butt powder for chaffing. one set of jeans will last 3-4 days. wear boots take slip on tennies for around hotel at night.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts