Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys. Got my Freedom Shield. Removed stock WS, and I can't line up the holes. Do u remove the rubber WS trim to install your Freedom Shield? I don't want to scratch that beautiful red paint. If u can provide some tips with the rubber trim, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If I remember correctly, I didn't have to do anything with the rubber trim. All holes lined up and it was a pretty trouble-free process - remove the stock WS and install the new. Is the 2017 WS base different from the 2015 I wonder?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There was rubber trim? Mine didn't line up at first, but as I bent it to match the holes and put in each bolt, slowly tightened them like a head bolt pattern. By the time I was done everything was straight. Not all wackted out like I thought when I started.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was rubber trim? Mine didn't line up at first, but as I bent it to match the holes and put in each bolt, slowly tightened them like a head bolt pattern. By the time I was done everything was straight. Not all wackted out like I thought when I started.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I finally got it on like you indicated. WS is too tall :frown: I'll have to reduce it to a 13"

Reactions: Buzzy

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It will fit. Sometimes the gasket shifts so that it's hard to start the screws. I had a battle one time. Hard to believe that something so simple became so difficult. I have that making a mountain out of a molehill skill set.

Reactions: Lu

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Why take the screws all the way off? The OEM shield is slotted. I know the LRS shields are slotted too. Did Freedom shield not slot their shields?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Freedom Shields are not slotted. Screws have to come out all the way.

I installed mine as described above. But you got it figured out already. I have been very pleased with my 12". I was on the fence between the 12" and the 13". I am happy with the 12", but the 13" would have been just fine as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I finally got it on like you indicated. WS is too tall :frown: I'll have to reduce it to a 13"
Did you remove the plastic coating on it yet? If not, you can return it for a shorter size.

I got the 12" and it's great; I could've gone with the 11" and almost returned the 12, but decided to keep it as the 12" helps to keep me from slouching too much :p

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you remove the plastic coating on it yet? If not, you can return it for a shorter size.

I got the 12" and it's great; I could've gone with the 11" and almost returned the 12, but decided to keep it as the 12" helps to keep me from slouching too much :p
No I didn't remove the plastic coating. I emailed John last night and he called me today. I'll be returning the 14" as it is a tad too tall and I'll be getting a 13". Since I'll be getting Ultra shocks and day-long Russell seat, I didn't want to go too short and get the 12".

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
No I didn't remove the plastic coating. I emailed John last night and he called me today. I'll be returning the 14" as it is a tad too tall and I'll be getting a 13". Since I'll be getting Ultra shocks and day-long Russell seat, I didn't want to go too short and get the 12".
You could also offer it up to members here..and save the shipping back to freedom...thats what I did..shipping aint cheap...

What did the day long do to your seat height?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could also offer it up to members here..and save the shipping back to freedom...thats what I did..shipping aint cheap...

What did the day long do to your seat height?
John took care of me on the shipping as I didn’t mention the road glide.org discount initially when I ordered the 14” shield. The 13” shield cost less then the 14" as well.

The Ultra shocks will raise the rear of the bike, increasing my view to look over the top of the shield slightly, but the Day Long Russell will increase the seat height when they modify the stock seat of my Special. I’m planning to get those during winter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same alignment issue with the bolt holes on my new 17 RGS and don't remember having the issue when I installed the shield originally on my 15 RGS. But I discovered if you tighten up the inside screws first the outer holes on the shield will line up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts