Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to rap up my winter projects as the weather is slowly turning warmer. Down to the radio.

I have a RF PBR300X4 amp and Kicker 4 ohm speakers. I turn the power on and there is very little volume. I have to turn up the volume almost all the way just to hear anything. What did I do wrong. Please understand that I am NOT very good with vehicle audio!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Where is the gain set on your amp?
Are you using the stock head unit?
How is the amp connected to the head unit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connections are good and not touching. They are currently just twisted together for a test run before I soder everything. I adjusted the gain, it's at 5 but the volume increased very little.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Figured out the volume problem. Now the amp "pops" when I raise the volume. Cool, a new problem!
What was the problem?
Popping is a sign of a bad ground. Is the Amp grounded at the battery ? It should be.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Running the ground all the way back to the battery is a bad idea. The shorter the run for your ground, the better. Mine is grounded at the triple tree and I don't have any noise, hiss or popping. Just make sure it's clean (no paint) and add a little dielectric grease to keep the connection corrosion free.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Running the ground all the way back to the battery is a bad idea. The shorter the run for your ground, the better. Mine is grounded at the triple tree and I don't have any noise, hiss or popping. Just make sure it's clean (no paint) and add a little dielectric grease to keep the connection corrosion free.
Rockford Fosgate's directions tell you to ground off the battery only.

On a motorcycle, there are no long ground runs.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
check the input voltage with a meter ( factory speaker outs )

adjust the input voltage level on the amp

the pop could be the input signal crossing that threshold

or the power wire or ground loose at the amp terminal or bonding point

I ground to frame also, rode through a few storms last year, had to freshen that up, it got corroded after three years and was popping at higher volumes

grounding to the battery is a rockford fsb, true

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rockford Fosgate's directions tell you to ground off the battery only.

On a motorcycle, there are no long ground runs.
You're right, there aren't any long runs, but the longer you run the ground, the better chance at having such issues. Keeping the ground under 18" is a good rule of thumb and the reason most amp wiring kits come that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What was the problem?
Popping is a sign of a bad ground. Is the Amp grounded at the battery ? It should be.
Remember, vehicle audio is NOT my specialty! Now try not to laugh. I had the input plug connected in the wrong location.

Yes the amp is connected to the battery. Going to look into it today, should keep me busy!

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Remember, vehicle audio is NOT my specialty! Now try not to laugh. I had the input plug connected in the wrong location.

Yes the amp is connected to the battery. Going to look into it today, should keep me busy!
Also remember, the Rockford does not use the remote line if your wired high level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I'm still confused. Same amp on my last bike (09 streetglide), I didn't use the remote turn on. On this bike (13 roadglide), I had to use it in order for the amp to turn on. What is this telling me?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I guess I'm still confused. Same amp on my last bike (09 streetglide), I didn't use the remote turn on. On this bike (13 roadglide), I had to use it in order for the amp to turn on. What is this telling me?
Is your main power line running straight to the battery ? It should be. Check the speaker wires coming out of the head unit and make sure they have a good connection to the amp ,and the positive and negative wires are not mixed up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ALL the connections are good. Everything works as it should, it seems. The ONLY way I can get the amp to turn on is if I connect the remote wire and EVERYTHING I read says NOT to use the remote wire.

Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
ALL the connections are good. Everything works as it should, it seems. The ONLY way I can get the amp to turn on is if I connect the remote wire and EVERYTHING I read says NOT to use the remote wire.

Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?
Are you running high level, or Rca hook up ? What head unit you using ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure what you mean by "high level"?

I'm using the stock head unit, Rockford amp, and some Kicker 4 ohm speakers.

I cut the stock speaker wires, extended those to the amp and then ran speaker wire it the amp, to the speakers.

All the connections are positive to positive, negative to negative. When I try it out, everything sounds good but the amp has no power unless I as the remote wire to a power supply. Since it was close and I'm just testing, I used a small jumper wire to the positive on the nearest gauge.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "high level"?

I'm using the stock head unit, Rockford amp, and some Kicker 4 ohm speakers.

I cut the stock speaker wires, extended those to the amp and then ran speaker wire it the amp, to the speakers.

All the connections are positive to positive, negative to negative. When I try it out, everything sounds good but the amp has no power unless I as the remote wire to a power supply. Since it was close and I'm just testing, I used a small jumper wire to the positive on the nearest gauge.
Your running High level, thats when you use the head units speaker wires to transfer the source to the amp instead of RCA cables. The stock HK head unit does not utilize RCA cable hook up.
You might have a bad amp. How old is it ? What part # is it ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts