Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the KST 1 1/4" Mayhem Bars for my bike and I am having a Nightmare pulling the wires through. Ive been at it for hours and they seem to get kinked at the bottom bend. I've tried pulling the throotle wires first then the other harness but still no luck. I then tried together but still no luck. WD40, Vasaline, Spray grease----nothing they just wont pull through. Its as if the wires together are thicker than the inside diameter of the bars?? I know many of you guys have successfully installed these bars, any Tips or Advice I could use before I fling these things in the garbage!! Please......:eek:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did yu pull all the wires at the same time or did you do Throttle then other harness? Or vise versa? It seems like all the Wires together are to thick to pull through at the same time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did yu pull all the wires at the same time or did you do Throttle then other harness? Or vise versa? It seems like all the Wires together are to thick to pull through at the same time.
If you pull the pins you should be able to pull all at once. You might want to wrap the wires in electrical tape as the stock tape is kind of porous and doesn't want to glide very easily. I just put 1.5 bars on my bike and pulled the throttle first and then the others. I wrapped it in tape to make it easier to go through. worked perfectly.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Before you cut the pins off, try folding half of your wires backwards then tape them up along with your string. This will make your wire roll smaller when hitting that bend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Baby powder helped slip wires thru Yaffe's when we did it , patience and a piece of sturdy wire w a bend helped ease thru last corner !

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use conduit lube and a thick Weedeater string to pull/push wires through. On my monkey bars 1 1/4". I stripped the stock cover and replaced with heat shrink but didn't shrink it super tight so it was still flexible. I pull the tbw first then the larger bundle. The last few sets I have done were 1 1/2" so they were much easier. I just kept the stock wire bundle cover one and pulled them.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Picked up some strong cord about the size of a shoelace at a local surplus store for 6 cents a foot. Blew that through the bars with my air compressor and then a fair amount of tech lube we use for pulling conduits. I like the baby powder idea though. Would be a lot less messy. Mine was a CVO so I had all kinds of wires going through the WO 612's I put on it. IIRC, I pulled the whole bundle on the throttle side through as a group but it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of mine bought me a thin Chain, looks almost like a bicycle Chain- Black Taped all the Wires together and blobbed everything in Vasaline . We then taped the Chain to one end an slowly pulled the Wires through. Took several trys but we got one side done so Far. Patience is Mandatory with this Job!! Appreciate all the Tips Guys..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going. My biggest tip is make sure you eliminate the plug for the tbw so it can't come unplugged while pulling the other wires. That happened to me, so I got to pull them again. I ended up using some soap I think, something slippery anyways, but the WD40 started eating the adhesive on the electrical tape I taped up the wires with after getting rid of the stock crap. Also, I use a fish tape for fishing wiring through conduit, worked like a charm and it's metal so you can't hardly break it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got done changing bars and it did get a bit frustrating. The bottom bend wasn't too bad but the top bend was a wrestling match. I went from the bottom up on 12" bars and used electricians tape and weed eater cord. at the bends I had to kind of go back and forth and sometimes twist a little. You will have to kind of feel when it gives a bit then pull and do the twist and back and forth action. When all else fails, you can strip the stack bundle cover and use elec tape. Good Luck. When I finally got it through, I felt like having a smoke... and I don't even smoke.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I got a dumb Question, I was able to get all the Wires through the Bars by black Taping them all together and then carefully pulling them out through the Bottom. By Taping them all together in a Bunch like that, Can that cause any kind of problems with the TBW as far as it operating correctly? I know that thing is sensitive and just wondered if all those wires together would cause some electrical interference of some sort?? I mean its tight in there as it is so there going to be close to each other anyway. Any thoughts on this-Just wanted some feedback before I proceed anymore. Thanks......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts