Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping the coin and having a 120ST crate engine installed in my 2015. Using the S&S power tune duals, big sucker AC and monster Round Mufflers I'm expecting the bike to make 115 HP 120 TQ or better. Next year after some upgrades I expect to be over 125/125. Here's the thing. I really don't understand how our clutches work and I have myself really confused about what upgrades I need to make. I want to upgrade the clutch once to stand up to this motor. I know there are variable pressure kits but if I understand correctly they don't help at lower RPMs. I don't want to just drop in a race clutch that will of course hold the power but be a nightmare during in town riding. I'm not a pussy but I like my factory clutch pull and would like to keep it as stock feeling as possible. What is the correct clutch upgrade for a mild 120? 95% of the time this bike is my to work commuter and long distance tourer. The other 5% of the time I'll be flogging it, you know, because I didn't buy a 120 not to.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Bandit Sportsman. Over 200% more clutch surface area. It will handle that big motor with ease. In a stock bike you can set the clutch pull to be very light. In a big motor bike like yours it will hold with a similar pull to stock. Capable of handling just about anything that you throw at it. I have mine set up just a hair over stock pull.

http://www.banditmachineworks.com/pdfs/sportsmanSCIIhandout203RN.pdf

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
You are correct that the VPC does not work as well at low RPM's, but your clutch slippage is not at the low RPM range. When you get on the throttle is when the clutch will slip and this is when the VPC is at it's best.

The advantage of the VPC is it works well and does not affect the pressure it takes to pull the clutch lever. I am in the same HP/TQ range you will be in and I went with a Rivera Primo clutch and couldn't be happier. The effort to pull the clutch lever does take more strength, but I have a manly grip :) so no issue for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
125 seems to be the magic number were you start to brake stuff.
Your std clutch with the heavier spring should hold 115 OK (mine does) and they are not that heavy to use, two fingers does me most of the time.
When you start looking more grunt you may need to consider a whole drive line package, not just the clutch.
I'm sure there are plenty on here making the big pony's that will tell you what they have broken and what they replaced it with.
and Enjoy it as much as I would :cool:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Bandit clutch runs about 5 bills. If you are wanting a 124" motor then $500 shouldn't be what's holding you back. A solid 124" is going to run you over ten times that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts