Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got AdvanBlack Mid-frame Air Deflectors. They don't come with instructions but the hardware looks similar to what comes with Harley's Mid-Frame Air Deflector part #57200157. I had a different problem on each side. On the left side, you are supposed to install a "Speed nut" but the hole the speed nut is supposed to go over is already threaded. The bolt that Advan sent doesn't fit the threaded hole.

On the right side, the hole the speed nut goes over isn't threaded but the location makes it impossible to thread the bolt because the engine in in the way.

Has anyone installed Mid frame deflectors on a 17 or later model? Any suggestions? I have a 17 RGS.

Pic 2 shows the threaded hole on the left side.

Pic 3 is of the speed nuts.

Pic 4 is of the lower "special nut" as HD calls it. It seems like you stick it in a hex shaped hole and it doesn't do anything except maybe hold it is position. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just installed my Hog workz version earlier today. If you already have threaded holes which the Special models all have I believe,then you’re good and don’t need that extra hardware. My Fltrx didn’t and I had to use them. The upper right side is a pain in the neck and many have complained about it. Not much room between and cylinder head very close. Not sure how long your screws are but if too long,may have to cut it down slightly. I played with mine for a long while to get the right angle of screw and for it to catch with hardly any room but finally got it lol.Those Special nuts are supposed to work almost like an anchor,as you screw into it the tube swells up a bit and meant to hold in place with friction but I didn’t like it or trust since it still felt like it could pop out. That happened to several I heard. Instead try inserting it on opposite side and is much better and feels secure and tight. Poor design on the hardware imo. When you do it that way, right side is fine with plenty room but left side I had to loosen the fuse box to get to the backside of frame. Hope that helps and good luck with it!

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Just installed my Hog workz version earlier today. If you already have threaded holes which the Special models all have I believe,then you’re good and don’t need that extra hardware. My Fltrx didn’t and I had to use them. The upper right side is a pain in the neck and many have complained about it. Not much room between and cylinder head very close. Not sure how long your screws are but if too long,may have to cut it down slightly. I played with mine for a long while to get the right angle of screw and for it to catch with hardly any room but finally got it lol.Those Special nuts are supposed to work almost like an anchor,as you screw into it the tube swells up a bit and meant to hold in place with friction but I didn’t like it or trust since it still felt like it could pop out. That happened to several I heard. Instead try inserting it on opposite side and is much better and feels secure and tight. Poor design on the hardware imo. When you do it that way, right side is fine with plenty room but left side I had to loosen the fuse box to get to the backside of frame. Hope that helps and good luck with it!
Great detailed explanation desert rider az

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm always concerned "it's me" and not the part. I think because its aftermarket, the hardware sucks. I'm going to see if i can buy OEM hardware and give it a shot again.

BTW I am impressed with Advanblack's color match. I have a Hard Candy color and the paint is perfect.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm always concerned "it's me" and not the part. I think because its aftermarket, the hardware sucks. I'm going to see if i can buy OEM hardware and give it a shot again.

BTW I am impressed with Advanblack's color match. I have a Hard Candy color and the paint is perfect.
Anytime! Seems like lots of of folks were having some problems. I read about one guy who gave up and brought it to the dealer lol. It’s not that bad, just a very tight fit some some spots. My issue was the special nuts on bottom and may try Harleys hardware instead. The paint on yours looks great looking at your pics. I have black denim and looks good and matches well too

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
i just got done doing this today. the special nuts on the bottom are not an issue for me, they just press in and hold pretty securely. it isn't like you're trying to compress two case halves together....

the left side is a piece of cake. the top hole is already threaded on the frame so no need for speed nuts or anything.

the right side is pretty tight against the cylinder head. i bought aftermarket heat deflectors off of amazon and the bolts that came with may have been longer than the hd ones. i did buy the speed nuts and special nuts from hd though. to get that top bolt to fit, i cut off about 1/4'' so that i could get the threads started by hand.

to make the job easier, a flex head ratcheting wrench works pretty good and is what i used. i think that one of those finger tip ratchets would work even better but i don't have one of those, so can't say for sure.

now to find out, do these things even work?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i just got done doing this today. the special nuts on the bottom are not an issue for me, they just press in and hold pretty securely. it isn't like you're trying to compress two case halves together....

the left side is a piece of cake. the top hole is already threaded on the frame so no need for speed nuts or anything.

the right side is pretty tight against the cylinder head. i bought aftermarket heat deflectors off of amazon and the bolts that came with may have been longer than the hd ones. i did buy the speed nuts and special nuts from hd though. to get that top bolt to fit, i cut off about 1/4'' so that i could get the threads started by hand.

to make the job easier, a flex head ratcheting wrench works pretty good and is what i used. i think that one of those finger tip ratchets would work even better but i don't have one of those, so can't say for sure.

I have the Fltrx model and they don’t come with threaded holes, which is not a big deal since those speed nuts work well and do the job. Was just a bit tight on the top right side and after several attempts was able to screw it in. Maybe the special nuts I got were defective since they weren’t holding right and read online that many had issues with those. I’m sure these air deflectors will help with heat quite a bit

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm glad you said your left side was thread and the right side wasn't. I thought they screwed up on my bike. Why the hell did they thread one side and not the other?

Thanks for the advice on the install. The dealer didn't have the OEM bolts in stock so i'm waiting for them to come in to do the install.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
both sides are threaded. its just on the one side, the threaded hole is in a different spot.

i assume when you say 'oem bolts' you are referring to all the hardware, including the speed nut and special nut? i suggest going to the hardware store and getting a shorter mount bolt for the top right hand side. the full length bolt is a bitch to get started. i used a hacksaw and cut about 1/4'' off and it was much easier.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I find it odd that you guys are having to use the speed nut/special nut on your bikes. I had to use them on my 12 but all the holes on my 19 are threaded. And the bolts are nothing special, you should be able to find them at a hard wear store.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

both sides are threaded. its just on the one side, the threaded hole is in a different spot.

i assume when you say 'oem bolts' you are referring to all the hardware, including the speed nut and special nut? i suggest going to the hardware store and getting a shorter mount bolt for the top right hand side. the full length bolt is a bitch to get started. i used a hacksaw and cut about 1/4'' off and it was much easier.
I bought the HD Speed nut and bolts. I'll use the special nut that Advanblack sent. The special nut they sent is pretty loose in the hole. Does it get more snug when you put the bolt in?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find it odd that you guys are having to use the speed nut/special nut on your bikes. I had to use them on my 12 but all the holes on my 19 are threaded. And the bolts are nothing special, you should be able to find them at a hard wear store.
On my bike, the top holes on the Advanblack deflectors line up like this: Left side lines up with a threaded hole. Right side lines up with an unthreaded hole. I don't know if the pics are clear but 1st is right side and 2nd is left side.

Skratch said the right side is threaded but in a different spot. The only hole that lines up on the right side with the Advanblack deflector hole is unthreaded. (unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly possible)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I bought the HD Speed nut and bolts. I'll use the special nut that Advanblack sent. The special nut they sent is pretty loose in the hole. Does it get more snug when you put the bolt in?
It’s supposed to expand I guess when screw goes through it and hold in place but mine wasn’t holding that great and would eventually pop out. Went online to figure that out and noticed many others had the same problem. Hopefully your nuts work better. I went to dealer to pick up and try their special nuts but they didn’t have any in stock. I just said screw this and did it the old school way. I put the screw through the hole and just put a washer and nut on the other side of frame and tightened it up. Problem solved lol. On left side after removing side cover you would have to remove 2 bolts of fuse housing and just move it over a bit so you can get hand in there. Otherwise it’s not a big deal if you have to go that route

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
On my bike, the top holes on the Advanblack deflectors line up like this: Left side lines up with a threaded hole. Right side lines up with an unthreaded hole. I don't know if the pics are clear but 1st is right side and 2nd is left side.

Skratch said the right side is threaded but in a different spot. The only hole that lines up on the right side with the Advanblack deflector hole is unthreaded. (unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly possible)
Your second picture is clear that you have threads and don’t need the speed nut. The big hole is where the speed nut would slide into frame and pushed down over the small hole but since you have threads, you just screw directly into that without speed nut. First pic is a bit unclear, but you should have a big hole with a smaller hole almost next to it on an angle down like pic#2. If no threads, then you would need speed nut. I guess CVOs and Special models come with threads already. My Fltrx didn’t have them and I guess my bike isn’t “special” enough lol

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s supposed to expand I guess when screw goes through it and hold in place but mine wasn’t holding that great and would eventually pop out. Went online to figure that out and noticed many others had the same problem. Hopefully your nuts work better. I went to dealer to pick up and try their special nuts but they didn’t have any in stock. I just said screw this and did it the old school way. I put the screw through the hole and just put a washer and nut on the other side of frame and tightened it up. Problem solved lol. On left side after removing side cover you would have to remove 2 bolts of fuse housing and just move it over a bit so you can get hand in there. Otherwise it’s not a big deal if you have to go that route
I guess I watched the same video as you. lol That's what I plan on doing. Thanks

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
here's what it looks like on my bike. you can see that on the left side, the threaded hole is very close to that large hole. but on the right, the hole by the large hole is not threaded, but there is a threaded hole a little bit away from it (with the arrow pointing toward it)

the special nuts were a pretty snug fit. i just pressed them in with my fingers and they stay in place. the wife hasn't had a chance to ride it yet, but we'll see how well they stay in place. they seem to fit pretty much the same as they did on her 2012, so i'm not expecting this to be any different.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
here's what it looks like on my bike. you can see that on the left side, the threaded hole is very close to that large hole. but on the right, the hole by the large hole is not threaded, but there is a threaded hole a little bit away from it (with the arrow pointing toward it)

the special nuts were a pretty snug fit. i just pressed them in with my fingers and they stay in place. the wife hasn't had a chance to ride it yet, but we'll see how well they stay in place. they seem to fit pretty much the same as they did on her 2012, so i'm not expecting this to be any different.
I am running the cut one for the Coolflow fan. That might explain why all the holes where threaded.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I brought my pair off amazon (cheaper ;) ) to install on my 2019 RGS. It came with 4 longish bolts and washers, top bolts was fine as inserts was already in place, bit fiddly but managed it. I did not have any threaded inserts for the lower bolts so then did same as Desert rider, install bolts through the frame on both sides and added nuts, not a job I would want to do again but pleased I managed it and prefer the look

1 - 20 of 25 Posts