Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, Im ready for my next mod to my 2016 SHark, I have been looking to upgrade my windsheild for a little while now and I think my next purchase will be a new windsheild. I am 5'9" tall, I will be trying to wear a full face helmet as often as possible but will take a helmetless ride once in a while. I am thinking the helmet should add 2-3"'s of height to the mix. I am upgrading my stereo right now and I would like to get something that offers better than stock volume funneling. I have been looking at the 14" Sport from KlockWorks however Im open to all suggestions. Whats going to offer the best minimal buffeting and best sound quality. I love the looks of the 14" sport Klockworks but will sacrifice looks for performance.

THANKS !!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Greetings!!

First off... Are you good with your seat and position? If not, I recommend you tackle that as your next mod, then look at a shield.

If your seating is good, Freedom Shields, quality is unmatched, IMO...call'em up and talk about what size you need, also have a RG forum pricing...

Of course theres always MADSTAD..lol..adjust height as you need...look are subjective..lol

Ride safe...

Reactions: Wharf Rat

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
We are the same height. I went with an 11" LRS Stingray. Works great for me. Watch their site for some pretty hot prices from time to time.

I also recommend the fltr wind deflectors from the local dealer. Only about $30. Snap in on the crash bar in front of the tank under the fairing. Helps quite a bit with buffeting at highway speeds. Alot of people have had good luck with the GADS system found on this site. ( believe they can be found in the sponsors section) Though i haven't tried them personally.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I run a Memphis Shade and could not be happier - It is different than everything else and I love the look - I am 5'11 but run a CVO seat that sits me back and down a tad - I can hear my tunes fine at 80mph with my skid lid on and the wind hits me right at the top of the noggin - I don't like a full pocket as IMHO, it is a Motorcycle after all and I like SOME wind.

Pic of mine on my shitbox in my "Garage" on this site and here is the Mfg site - I run the 6.5 in Black Opaque

Memphis Shades FLTR Spoiler Windshield for 2015 and Up HD Road Glide | Road Glide Windshield

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have been looking at the 14" Sport from KlockWorks however Im open to all suggestions. Whats going to offer the best minimal buffeting and best sound quality. I love the looks of the 14" sport Klockworks but will sacrifice looks for performance. THANKS !!!
Stop right there and look no further! :)
The 14" Sport Flare from Klock Werks is a high quality product. Not only does it look good but it also improves handling.
Although I ride an older shark (pre-Rushmore model) I say it made a huge difference. I've tried a lot of different windshields prior to getting the Flare.
While most brands are made of acrylic the KWs are polycarbonate making them more impact resistant.
I say - get Klocked! :)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Stop right there and look no further! :)
The 14" Sport Flare from Klock Werks is a high quality product. Not only does it look good but it also improves handling.
Although I ride an older shark (pre-Rushmore model) I say it made a huge difference. I've tried a lot of different windshields prior to getting the Flare.
While most brands are made of acrylic the KWs are polycarbonate making them more impact resistant.
I say - get Klocked! :)
I had the 12" Sport flare on my 11. And I have the 14" Sport flare on my 16. Love it. I'm 5'10" and wear a helmet 99% of the time. A 3/4 and a modular. Just bought the Shark Evoline 3. I get a little turbulence with my top vent closed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Windvest

24000 klms of all weather riding. Commuting or touring. Solo or 2 up. 10 inch Windvest. No complaints.
I did try the MOCO Windsplitter of a few heights without satisfaction. Similar height.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm sure there's a lot of good windshields available but the only one I can speak to is the 14'' Flare because that is what I ended up putting on my 2015 RGS. Putting the Flare on turned out to be a good decision for me. It cut the wind way down and I can actually hear my tunes now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I went with a 9" extra dark smoke MadStad on my 15. IMO look better than the other styles. Love the versatility.
They do cost more but cheaper in the long run considering a lot of people buy more than one shield. I was planning on buying three, one for spring one for summer one for winter. Only had to buy one MadStad.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Before you spend a dime. Stop by your dealership and DEMO every one they have. It is free and easy.
Find what you want or not you ride away with more information about how different one fit you.
You can do the same with seats and exhaust.
So much of the stuff you read about the magic recurve this and that is just selling hype. Try some first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am an owner of a Madstad system. I would say that subjectively that these are the best windshields on the market. I have a friend who bought a KW, looks amazing but mine functions much better. The curve at the the top of it makes it feel like I'm looking thru a huge magnifying glass. It did provide good wind protection but just not better than the madstad.
The looks of the Madstad... let's just say it will grow on you. But once you hit the road and feel how smooth the air is around you, you won't look at another. I love mine

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok guys, Im ready for my next mod to my 2016 SHark, I have been looking to upgrade my windsheild for a little while now and I think my next purchase will be a new windsheild. I am 5'9" tall, I will be trying to wear a full face helmet as often as possible but will take a helmetless ride once in a while. I am thinking the helmet should add 2-3"'s of height to the mix. I am upgrading my stereo right now and I would like to get something that offers better than stock volume funneling. I have been looking at the 14" Sport from KlockWorks however Im open to all suggestions. Whats going to offer the best minimal buffeting and best sound quality. I love the looks of the 14" sport Klockworks but will sacrifice looks for performance.

THANKS !!!
I am 5'9" too. A 11" Freedom Touring works perfect for me with the stock seat. This is just a frame of reference. You may be different due to torso length, etc. Go the Freedom site, follow the instructions for measuring. John, the owner gives you every reasonable option to ensure you are happy with your purchase.
You are not going to beat the workmanship and service. Also, I think he offers a discount to list members, not sure.

IMHO the Sport Touring shield is better looking, but I have never tried it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Before you spend a dime. Stop by your dealership and DEMO every one they have. It is free and easy.
Find what you want or not you ride away with more information about how different one fit you.
You can do the same with seats and exhaust.
So much of the stuff you read about the magic recurve this and that is just selling hype. Try some first.
Great advice, especially to get an idea of what different heights of the shield offer in terms of wind deflection & visibility. Then look at what's out there & make an informed decision.

I have used Klock Werks and really liked the looks.
I have used Madstad, simply the best performing shield available.
I currently use a 13" smoked Freedom Shield. It provides both a pleasing aesthetic along with great performance.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I have the stocker for a 2015 RGS
I have a Klock Werks 14" Sportflair
I have a 10" dark tint Long Ride Shield "Stingray"
I have a 13" medium tint Long Ride Shield "Stingray".

The stocker is for around town, it's cool and that's about it.

The Klock Werks 14" Sportflair is a great shield.
I like the way it looks and I like the handling of the bike with it on at speed, but if you have ape hangers it blows.
Why you say, the bars hit the shield when turning hard left or right.
You also will not be able to lock the steering.

Both of my LRS's rock.
Great price and the wind goes over my helmet nicely.

IMO the LRS's are great and the prices can't be beat.

Good Luck.

My sig picture down below has the 13" Stingray mounted.

Swomack

1 - 20 of 35 Posts