Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a nice big motor I am keeping this bike for a long while. I decided to go ahead and update the sound system as well. After much research I have decided on the Biketronics 2180 Amp and 7.1 speakers.

For the head unit I am torn between the Aquatic AV 5UBT, and either JVC or Sony. With the units that are not the Aquatic AV I would be using the retro radio kit so I can retain the factory handlebar controls so price either way is similar.

One of the items I learned in my research was to look for the pre amp voltage to be 4V or 5V so for that reason I ruled out the less expensive Aquatic AV radio. It is only 2V.

The JVC has a black & white display that makes the display visible in bright sun which is nice. I don't know much about Sony but I have had their units in vehicles and always liked. The Aquatic AV has great features and is waterproof. My only reservation is they have not been on the market very long.

What do you guys think? Any other units I should consider?

·
Registered
931 Posts
IMO, the Acoustic AV hands down. I'm installing the 600W amp and 4 6.5" 602 Moto speakers in the dash and lowers. Next winter I'll add the Acoustic AV along with Lid speakers.

The Acoustic has better options, the flip down face is a great storage spot, pre-load music to a USB, plus the CD slot for me is like having a tape deck, I havent used cd's in years.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I have a Sony Mex GS610BT on the bench to install. I primarily went with this unit because it has a rear USB cord on the rear of the unit that you can run into a glove box. I also have a V-Twin audio mounting kit with waterproof cover that I have heard good things about right here on the forum. It certainly looks like a quality set up just got to get around to installing it.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I have the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H which is the cheaper model, I got it for $195 , Aquatic has a more expensive model too.
The head unit sounds great without a amp because it puts out 72 watts a channel and it is all plug and play. I did hook it up to a J&M 500 watt amp and it works great with the amp too.
I like the readout on this model over the more expensive unit but there is only left and right RCA outputs so I had to hook the upper fairing speakers to the right output and the fairing lower speakers to the left output so he unit doesn't have right/ left fade only upper/ lower fade.
I believe the more expensive head unit has the additional outputs and it has a few more features than the one I have. I also like the fact that the Aquatics is completely waterproof.

·
Registered
209 Posts
check out the Alpine CDE HD149BT. Nice unit as well. The main thing to keep in mind with the RGs is the angle the head unit sits at in the fairing. Not only for visibility but also water intrusion. Don't skimp on the rainshield if you go aftermarket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H which is the cheaper model, I got it for $195 , Aquatic has a more expensive model too.
The head unit sounds great without a amp because it puts out 72 watts a channel and it is all plug and play. I did hook it up to a J&M 500 watt amp and it works great with the amp too.
I like the readout on this model over the more expensive unit but there is only left and right RCA outputs so I had to hook the upper fairing speakers to the right output and the fairing lower speakers to the left output so he unit doesn't have right/ left fade only upper/ lower fade.
I believe the more expensive head unit has the additional outputs and it has a few more features than the one I have. I also like the fact that the Aquatics is completely waterproof.
Although I understand why you did what you did here, the fact is you're not fading fairing to lower, you're merely moving balance left to right which affects stereo separation and the overall sound output perceived. If you want true fading abilities then I'd suggest connecting lower speakers to the RCA outputs on the head unit and then use something like a PAC SNI15 line level adapter on the front speaker outputs to convert to RCA then drive your fairing speakers off the front of that amp. If the amp is the older style 4 channel amp, look under the plastic cover over the fan and there is a plethora of adjustments for each channel of the amp.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H which is the cheaper model
Mark, do you play tunes thru the unit via the bluetooth with a phone or mp3? If so, how well does it work?

Don't skimp on the rainshield if you go aftermarket.
Good point. I will do that if I don't go with the Aquatic AV

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Mark, do you play tunes thru the unit via the bluetooth with a phone or mp3? If so, how well does it work?

I Don't use the bluetooth option because my phone would use up my data streaming music, also out here the phone signal is unreliable.
I use a Sansa Fuse MP3 player for all my recorded music.
The Aquatic has a removable faceplate and when the faceplate is removed there is a open box that has a USB outlet and a mini plug to plug in the MP3 player or cell phone, I just plug in the MP3 and put it in the box and put the faceplate back on which works well for me.
On the head unit I have the USB plug is for charging the device only.
The Aquatic AV units doesn't need a rain shield or a interconnect harness.
You can't play CD's and you give up the clock and weather band the head unit won't turn the volume down when you slow/stop like the HK head unit does. But the power gain and clarity and radio reception is better than the HK head unit.
Also putting speakers in the lower fairing makes a big difference.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Sony Mex GS610BT on the bench to install. I primarily went with this unit because it has a rear USB cord on the rear of the unit that you can run into a glove box. I also have a V-Twin audio mounting kit with waterproof cover that I have heard good things about right here on the forum. It certainly looks like a quality set up just got to get around to installing it.
My Sony MEX-GS610BT on my 2006 Road Glide.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used the JVC r85mbs. $80 on Amazon now, happen to get mine for $50. I had no issues seeing the screen in daylight hours.
Streaming music through bluetooth is loud enough to hear but not as loud as a cd or the radio. Haven't tried a thumb drive yet. uploadfromtaptalk1454603332693.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts