Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop told me that the new bikes (I have a 2020 Road Glide Special) takes 20W50 in all holes. Oil, tranny and primary.

Is this true?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Old news...HD has been saying that for years. Started with the TC motors quite a few years ago and has carried on with the M8's. Endless discussions and opinions on this...search any HD forum and you will have reading material for years LOL.

Reactions: Vinnie

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
remember that gear oil viscosity is measured differently than motor oil viscosity. so a 90 weight gear oil is appr the same viscosity as a 50 or 60 weight motor oil. and the primary doesn't care so much about viscosity as it does friction modifiers. or rather, the lack of them.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Old news...HD has been saying that for years. Started with the TC motors quite a few years ago and has carried on with the M8's. Endless discussions and opinions on this...search any HD forum and you will have reading material for years LOL.
The moco been using Syn3 2050 in all three holes since it's birth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As everyone said, old news.
I use Amsoil for the engine, Redline for the tranny, and Harley gear oil for the primary. I don’t see why I would want to put engine oil in my transmission.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The moco been using Syn3 2050 in all three holes since it's birth.
True! And before Syn3 came out (2003?) HD was always telling everyone "synthetic bad...only use HD dino oil in engine/primary and gear oil in trans". Then came the miracle of semi synthetic Syn3 which they suddenly claimed is good for all 3 holes. LOL

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
690 Posts
I’ve been using this oil for trans and primary. Works great in my hot climate. I use conventional H-D oil in the engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help fellas. This is by far the most expensive Harley I've ever owned and I am trying to be as careful as possible with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the help fellas. This is by far the most expensive Harley I've ever owned and I am trying to be as careful as possible with it.
If you don't have one...get a service manual! Input from us bozo's on the internet can be helpful but it's also a crap shoot...lots of BS out there! Get it from the source...knowledge is power (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts