Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Ultra which is paid for. I love the color, and would argue that it's the best ever put on a Road Glide. I've done minimal mods....Bars, seat, windshield, Stage 1, hidden antenna, A&S clutch, detachable TP, filler lights, CD front turns, and suspension. The ESP just expired (thankfully after replacing the water pump), and I was planning on doing a Stage II this winter. I am extremely happy with the bike, and it's as comfortable as it gets.

But.........I really like the idea of RDRS. And the new head unit is nice. And the rumor around the campfire is that the M8 makes some nice power. There are a couple of colors I could live with.

I could move the windshield, shocks, turns, and seat. I'd need to do at least a Stage 1, preferably more so I don't get bored. So out of pocket, that's a H-D Stage 1, a new hidden antenna, detachable TP kit, and a set of bars. List price around $38,000 on the road. If I'm lucky, I can get $12,500 in trade for my bike. Add a 5-year ESP and I'm pushing $40 grand.

So I'd be giving up my bike, and owe $26k on a new bike. I paid $26k for the 2016. And I'd have a Stage 1 bike. That cool 131 kit? Add at least another $6k. That's an incomprehensible amount of money for a new bike.

But..........

I've just changed jobs, and my commute has gone from 3 hours a day to 40 minutes. The "get off work and go for a quick spin" is much more realistic (and longer) now. And I've got some disposable income, so I can either write a check for the difference in my trade, or make a substantial downpayment.

So to my questions:

- For those who have it, is the RDRS really worth it?

- Is the M8 worth it? Is it reliable? Is the power bump noticeable?

- Would I be insane to ask them to swap out my tins?

- Should I stop with this crazy talk and just do a build on my Twinkie?

·
Registered
265 Posts
So a few observations. The move from my 2016 to my 2020 was huge! I had both for a few months trying to sell it during the winter and when I got back on the 2016 it was gutless compared to the torque of the M8.

I ride a lot so warranty matters to me. I couldn’t extend because I was too high in mileage (I do 30K/ year). So I would rather have warranty restrictions and a warranty versus building crazy with no warranty. It’s what I drive every day and every where.

It is perfectly reasonable to swap tins. My wife just bought a 20 TriGlide with the scorched orange and denim black paint from a 19 moved over. One of my best friends just went to buy an RGS but found no colors she liked except the Teal. It doesn’t come in the special. Swapped tins and she now has a blacked out teal RGS.

The other option is that it’s really only a $3-5K investment to have a new bikes tins custom painted. Especially if you can take them on and off yourself and just have them painted and reassemble. It all comes off easy except for the inner fairing.

I’m about to trade my 20 in on a 21. Finally decided that if there are no colors I like coming out, I’ll just either have it painted or wrap the whole bike. Wrapping means I can peel it off and sell a bike that appears brand new next year. Painting means I just move the tins to the next bike.

Good luck with your decision. I had to make the same one and now I’m just in a cadence to trade yearly and move most of my mods over. But that’s because if I kept a bike till it was paid for I would have 100K miles on it :).

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
i can't answer all your questions, but, yes, the m8 is a noticeable improvement performance wise over the twin cam. the rdrs, i like the idea, but don't have it. for me, it isn't worth the hit to trade my 2019 for it, but i wouldn't hesitate to get it if i buy another bike in the future.

but, my big question is, what bike are you looking at that is $38 grand? looking at a cvo?

if you are perfectly happy with your bike, then i'd stick with it. linked brakes and abs, while not the same as rdrs, is pretty good. you could always do the gts upgrade on your bike, and with a stage II and a good tune, you could be very happy with a whole lot of cash still in your wallet. but then again, once you start thinking about getting a new bike, it is very hard to stay with what you have and it would suck to put the upgrade money into it and then trade anyway. i know, i've done it.

but, my personal feeling is that with the numbers you are quoting above, i would not trade. but then i'm a cheap bastard....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I agree with everything @skratch said......and a Zephyr Blue blacked out Limited with RDRS jumps the price of the bike significantly. Not sure if that’s what he’s looking at.

I didn’t do the stage one on my bike till the warranty ran out. It didn’t really bother me and I wanted use the parts I wanted, not what H-D said I had to use to keep said warranty.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You certainly don't need my one sided input, but I'll add a couple things.......

Yes its stupid money, especially when you out right own your bike and it runs fine, like mine was

I tried 3 different dealers, with 4 different people to do a tin swap......No one would bite
I liked my old color and figured having the first rock chip out of the way would be a plus

Iam banking in year 4 the M8 bugs are gone
the potential of a 4 valve head can't be overlooked

I haven't ridden enough to give an honest opinion of the RDRS
I want to put a couple hundred miles on it, before the flogging begins, but the 114 feels stout for stock

I have even started eating my words on keeping it stock....LOL.....Only took 4 days
I inquired about the 131 kit with the stock exhaust
The dealership tried their best to sell me an exhaust to get the full benefit of the kit,
But they said, yes I could run the stock exhaust
After the factory 2 yr warranty expires, I'll add a nice 2>1 pipe, PV and aftermarket cam

Thats my thinking

·
Registered
265 Posts
I tried 3 different dealers, with 4 different people to do a tin swap......No one would bite
I liked my old color and figured having the first rock chip out of the way would be a plus
Hey is anyone has a problem getting a tin swap done, hit me up. My dealer is VERY open to them.

One of the reasons there will probably be two versions of the special this year is that some want chrome and some want black. My GM was constantly buying bikes and swapping tins around and selling bikes people wanted. Someone wanted blue with chrome and red with black...fine, swap them and they both sold within a week.

I’ll hook you up if you need it.

·
Administrator
1,940 Posts
So to my questions:

I like it, but ride like it's not there.

Yes definitely worth it. Tons of stock torque over the twin cam, rarely have to downshift to pass. Im 250lbs and run with another 30-40lbs of gear in the bike all the time.

Nope, been done as you can see. Negotiate in the labor to do it in your deal. Be reasonable on the swap of anything, remember it's double the labor that it took you to install. If you can remove stuff from your bike and replace with the stock items you took off that will save paying out labor costs.

Try to find a black 2020 bike, this will help the dealer sell your bike on their floor. Black used will sell easier. The VIN won't match for color and the dealer will have to to disclose that.

You could but unlike a house, renovations of a bike will not return any more money at sale time. If you never plan to sell or trade and it's going to be your last bike ever, make the investment so that you're happy with what you have.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dumped a pile of money into my old CVO, then traded it in. Don't want to go down that road again.

Skratch, a Zephyr Blue/Black Limited is $34,000. Add the Stage 1, bars, antenna, and detachable kit, and that's near $38k.

This is a classic case of NBF. I don't need a new bike. But the RDRS suite is really enticing. And more power is more power.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,416 Posts
Only real way to know if all those things are worth it is to go test ride a new bike. I test rode the 114 after crashing my 107 and I was hooked.
The RDRS has a lot of features that should have been standard for a few years now, is it necessary no but it will make riding safer for sure, I wish my 2019 had it but I will get over it.
It doesn't hurt to ask about swapping tins. And like others have said a custom paint may be a better way to go than paying extra for a Harley paint scheme that you may not be 100% happy with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Answering where I can since I'm kinda in your same boat now:

--> I think it's more reliable based on the simple fact the Twinkies had pretty common valvetrain/cam issues. Power bump = I wasn't blown away with the bump. I was/am markedly impressed with the power delivery difference. I miss the Twinkie exhaust & starter sounds....not critical.

--> We have the Bonneville Salt Pearl tins we purchased off ebay. Rare color. Wife LOVES that color and that's a big determining factor for us as well. I plan to ask for a swap if/when we upgrade to the RG Limited. Very fair question. Not insane at all. Probably very common actually!

--> Kinda in the same boat now....new RGL or mod my RGS...albeit both M8 options. IMHO, the difference in your '16 to a '20 is not as significant in reality as it might be in your mind. You're talking about switching years only and not models.....right? From an Ultra to a Limited? Literal apples to apples minus the features you referenced. That makes the swap consideration solely based on features as you're asking. It'd be easier if you were looking at model changes....tough one.
I ask this a lot in my line of work = what is your problem statement that you are trying to resolve? "My bike feels aged" or "I need more power" or "I wish I had [enter wish here]" or "I'm too far upside down to keep burying myself". I literally just changed air cleaner assemblies out on my bike. For $143, my bike for some reason really feels new to me again. Stupid, huh. I also just placed the order for a new backrest for my wife. Again, attempting to drive out my perceived problems before I decide that my solution is a 2021 Road Glide Limited. If the air cleaner & backrest valued at ~$375 total make me feel like I have a new bike.....knowing my bike is very well maintained (by me), I win. If not - my efforts cost me a minimal outlay of cash and I trade up to a Limited. The electronic features alone are not worth thousands in my mind, no way. Those features plus the model change may be. Same model to same model = worth $2k IMHO. The engine power delivery is a personal preference and you may weight that at $5k value.

Maybe attack your least favorite part of your current bike before you go for features(?) to see if it makes you giddy again. The paint work is a super tough one to swallow. One last thing - I read recently where an older CVO bike paint color was no longer available as a replacement. Maybe common....don't know. Does that help you with your color swap consideration.....if you aren't able to get OEM painted body panels any longer due to the MoCo deciding to quit spraying your color?

Following this one. Oh....rent one for 3 days before you buy! I get blown away by a test ride and must have it. I get it out of my system quickly if I have to live with it for 3 days. Maybe it'll strike you the same way. $500 in rental is easier to swallow and the dealers will often throw that towards the purchase I'm told if you convert to a new bike.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I love the color, and would argue that it's the best ever put on a Road Glide.
Wrong. :)

Hard to say in isolation. I negotiated it for a $500 up charge, but I like the features, and the TPMS and Vehicle Hold Control are very convenient

With a 114, I'm not bothering to waste money on a stage 1. Saves $1500-$2K. Slip ons only. So far its reliable but I only have 5K on it. As for power, it's got plenty for me.

Yes

I'd say go for it.

I've said it many times here, but I feel like I got a CVO for $10K less. What am I missing, 3 cubes? Power locks? (useless). Apologies to the CVO owners but I think the Limited is a great bargain, especially considering you'd have to add a tour pack and lowers to a CVO to get what you have in a Limited.

If you can afford it, go for it, and enjoy!

·
Registered
381 Posts
With a 114, I'm not bothering to waste money on a stage 1.
That's a pretty common & powerful statement. Great point.

TPMS and Vehicle Hold Control are very convenient
I'm always overly concerned with my tire pressure after a buddy had his FRONT tire going low while on a ride with us. I'm not scared of my bike but tire failure is a huge concern of mine for some reason. Heck; I've stopped after I thought my tire made a 'popping' sound many, many times. I'd personally place a value of $800-$1000 on that one feature alone, aftermarket or OEM from the MoCo.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See, here's the thing Dan, there's no "weak area". If I was flat-broke, I could live with this bike as-is for quite some time.

I want more power. I want RDRS. I want CarPlay. I can live with the available paint.

And I completely agree about TPMS.

·
Registered
381 Posts
LOl......well said!

Still think rent the bike you want. I also had a Dodge Charger SRT 392 that I drooled over. Got it out of my system in 3 of the 5 days I had the car.

If you love the rental on day 4, buy one.....you know. That's the cool part about Harley that the Jap manufacturer's don't do as a company.

I still say the M8 power for me was not as noticeable. Power delivery was I'd say 60% different if I had to put a number on it.

Good luck to you! This is a great thread.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Broken pinky on my right hand, so I can't get a glove on. No riding until the beginning of January. Which means that the 2021 bikes will be nearly out, which changes things a bit.

I've resisted a M8 test ride since 2016 when the '17s came out. I may be giving in in January.

Dammit.

I'd have done it already if I didn't love this thing so much.....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

When you starting to go talk to the dealership?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was completely happy with my 13 RGU. Made the mistake of getting a 19 RKS and slipping a cam in. Made the poor 13 feel like a total slug. So now there is a 20 RGL in the garage. The 114 is no slouch stock and I know if it gets boring, a simple cam, pipe and tuner will make it pull like a beast. I made the dealer give me the RDRS for free, and I do use the TPMS and the hill holder from time to time. No regrets in moving up to the M8.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I agree with renting one first. May not be apples to apples because of the mods like bars, seat and suspension but you’d have something to work with. I personally came off a 2012 with 85k miles. I really like the bike and never rode a Rushmore because I have little self control. It sounds to like you’ve already made up your mind it’s just a matter of time before you commit lol. You could look into a low mileage 2020 as well. The 2020 has a to offer TPMS, RDRS, better/faster stereo features and better power plant. The RDRS is not intrusive but if you ride in a lot of rain I’m sure it’d be worthwhile. I was riding home in the beginning of a drizzle on surface streets. I left a light and felt the RDRS kick in as my rear tire had laity traction for the oil coming up off the asphalt. This has happened a couple of times. I didn’t even have it in rain mode.
If it’s the color that has you hesitant, buy a black bike and have it painted. If the money is not a roadblock I say “You only live once, buy the damn bike.”

1 - 20 of 120 Posts