Road Glide banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
I got one question for you 05 train . What color are you getting? :)

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I got one question for you 05 train . What color are you getting? :)
Unless I decide to try to swap the tins, my first choice is Zephyr Blue, second is Scorched Orange. I'm willing to look at the denim and the red/black.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Really? I've bought 4 bikes (2 Harleys, 2 BMWs) from what is now their Gaithersburg location.

I've got myself talked into doing the 122 kit from the jump, and I'll need to work that into the deal. Problem is that the only dealer I can find with what I want is over in Laurel, and I've never had good luck with those guys. Heard good things about Grove in Winchester, but they have no bikes.
I was at Groves about a week ago. They didn’t have a limited but they did have a couple RGS’s.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Unless I decide to try to swap the tins, my first choice is Zephyr Blue, second is Scorched Orange. I'm willing to look at the denim and the red/black.
If they swap tins, make sure they swap tank inners out too.

Reactions: '05Train

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Should have come to SW this year. There were two of the ZB and three of the SO this year. Good looking bikes.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm just getting back home. Following this thread since I'm contemplating a switch to a RGL or even (still) possibly another BMW product. I ride an RGS now so the Limited would add capability beyond my Special that would cost me ~$3400 to build out on my RGS. Money.

I'm not saying anything below sarcastically. I'm genuinely trying to help the OP and others with justifying with logic other than "you only live once" that has financially sunk some folks I've run across in my professional career path. This is a forum and the information we share is meant to help folks and reaches a broad audience.

So in summary of all of this and looking back at the very first post:
- $26k is the delta number you think you'll be financing in your original post.
-> You cite three main things, 1) Engine 2) CarPlay 3) RDRS

This would mean CarPlay by itself must be worth thousands of dollars out of the total $26k. Let's break it down pretty equally in what you're paying......CarPlay = $8,600.00; Engine = $8,600.00; RDRS = $8,600.00. Let's say that phonetically; eight thousand and six hundred dollars.

I'm just saying that the OP was originally basically asking........is it worth it. I'll openly admit I hate technology. I've seen many posts across this forum regarding the older 6.5 GTS loading time for example. If my radio takes 65 seconds to load and the new one takes 15 seconds.....is that worth $8,600.00? What is the magical benchmark where lag is acceptable....15sec, 10sec? Maybe our expectations should be more realistic. Harley could introduce a 14" touch screen in 5 years and all of the radios preceding that launch are obsolete boat anchors. Technology is a tool to me and we'll always be behind if we want the latest & greatest. Tools are made to solve problems easier. I have a 5yr old cell phone. Still a great tool. My framing hammer is 27yrs old now. Still a great tool. Technology is ever evolving. I get if folks want it......just trying my best to drive home the actual cost of this business transaction and not in a judgmental way, not even practically or we'd all be riding Goldwings.....simply financials. CarPlay and RDRS are tools and great tools! They are valuable. I personally see $2-3k in value for both of those, not $17,200.00.

Everyone places value on items differently. There are other makes of bikes that do things much better than my RGS. I placed a high value on my RGS to let go of the money. My buddy had a V-Star and can't bring himself to let go of the money to buy a HD product. We have blinders on here. We're only looking at Harley and even then, only RG's. So.....I estimate we're not really looking at outright power, technology or rider features or we'd be looking at Wings or Beamers. We love our RG'S!! So I genuinely get the value assignment. We're blessed to have these opportunities and disposable $$ and work hard for it and should enjoy it. I just think good fiscal advice is not "tomorrow is not guaranteed".....sorry, not to offend.....it's just dangerous logic to some folks.

I'm simply trying to highlight this in the most basic level of $26k divided by 3. The OP indicated he could afford it.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I like the Orange. I caught my eye right away. But two issue for me It is so good there are many of them and it would have been harder to find one. The Red and Black seemed a bit of a safe choice it that makes sense. I like to step away from safe a little. The Zephyr with its almost purple look fit the bill when Wife and Granddaughter picked it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Dan, you make some good points. In one of these posts I made it clear that I want a new bike, I don't need a new bike. Similarly, I've had a bunch of other brands, and I know that I'm a Harley guy when it comes to touring bikes.

To me, RDRS is worth the entire cost of a new bike. I ride on terrible roads with terrible traffic, sometimes in terrible weather. I'm a really good rider, but I'm not omniscient. And I'm 52, which means that at some point my skills are going to start to deteriorate. Having had bikes with all that stuff, I know how important those things are when something goes sideways.

The fact that there's a better head unit and a stronger engine are bonuses. There's plenty of my posts here and on HDF where I've been clear about my disdain for the M8 and love for my Twinkie. If I could add RDRS to my bike for $8 grand I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe a backwards way of arriving at a decision:

On our ‘17 I looked at doing the upgrades and custom work I really wanted. Money for custom paint and associated labor. Money for updating the Boom audio head. Adding tpms. Buying 2 years of extra warranty coverage. Money for other (lesser) changes to that bike. I would’ve probably spent in excess of $7500 to get there....likely closer to $9k all-in. Still a used bike and worth less every day I own it. Still lacking RDRS which I believe is a worthy option. So for me it came down to riding what I had and investing minimally in it.... knowing I wouldn’t own it too much longer.... or do the bigger deal and get what I knew I really wanted. But again, I don’t really find a lot of logic in even owning a $34k (or more) HD bagger really. The only true logic for me is that I enjoy riding these bikes and that enjoyment has a lot of value to me. I’ll spend the money and I’ll try not to be too financially analytical about it, except for the actual transaction itself.

Great discussion!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Maybe a backwards way of arriving at a decision:

On our ‘17 I looked at doing the upgrades and custom work I really wanted. Money for custom paint and associated labor. Money for updating the Boom audio head. Adding tpms. Buying 2 years of extra warranty coverage. Money for other (lesser) changes to that bike. I would’ve probably spent in excess of $7500 to get there....likely closer to $9k all-in. Still a used bike and worth less every day I own it. Still lacking RDRS which I believe is a worthy option. So for me it came down to riding what I had and investing minimally in it.... knowing I wouldn’t own it too much longer.... or do the bigger deal and get what I knew I really wanted. But again, I don’t really find a lot of logic in even owning a $34k (or more) HD bagger really. The only true logic for me is that I enjoy riding these bikes and that enjoyment has a lot of value to me. I’ll spend the money and I’ll try not to be too financially analytical about it, except for the actual transaction itself.

Great discussion!
I've done very similar math. Assuming my crank is good, I could do a 110 build for around $6,000. Update the head unit and add an amp & speakers for another $4,000 or so. Now I have a 5 year old bike that I've just pumped a pile of money into, making it that much more problematic to get rid of at some point.

I already have my money pit Night Train. What I need is a reliable, comfortable long-distance cruiser for two. Having a warranty would be nice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s like the guy who owns a $40k bass boat and throws everything back. He enjoys being out there with his gear. Or the golfer who spends $5k annually to belong to a country club. Or the skier with condo payments. Or......

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm not saying anything below sarcastically. I'm genuinely trying to help the OP and others with justifying with logic other than "you only live once" that has financially sunk some folks I've run across in my professional career path. This is a forum and the information we share is meant to help folks and reaches a broad audience.
i'm not saying this sarcastically either....

i don't think that the people who are saying 'you only live once' are advocating for him to be foolish with his money, i think that it is just a shorter way of saying, 'live like you are going to die tomorrow, plan like you'll live to be 100'.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
i'm not saying this sarcastically either....

i don't think that the people who are saying 'you only live once' are advocating for him to be foolish with his money, i think that it is just a shorter way of saying, 'live like you are going to die tomorrow, plan like you'll live to be 100'.
That's certainly how I read it.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It’s like the guy who owns a $40k bass boat and throws everything back. He enjoys being out there with his gear. Or the golfer who spends $5k annually to belong to a country club. Or the skier with condo payments. Or......
I'm reading between the lines here.... Where's your condo and what do you rent it out for during the warmer riding months? :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
2,713 Posts
I'm totally undecided and can't decide between River Rock, Scorched Orange and Black / RR dual... all with black out accessories... I thought I would like the ZB but in person it looks more purple to me...

Has there been at pics of 21 colors on bikes? it's hard to get an idea of what they look like with the small color sample squares.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Outer Banks has that Zephyr Blue scooter. And I'd bet you could be putting hands on it at Gaithersburg later this week.

They also have this for the rest of youens. I thought all of the limited production stuff would be gone by now.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I've done very similar math. Assuming my crank is good, I could do a 110 build for around $6,000. Update the head unit and add an amp & speakers for another $4,000 or so. Now I have a 5 year old bike that I've just pumped a pile of money into, making it that much more problematic to get rid of at some point.

I already have my money pit Night Train. What I need is a reliable, comfortable long-distance cruiser for two. Having a warranty would be nice.
Been there done that on the 110. The crank is probably not good. Not good enough to put 130 pounds foot through for any length of time. So add $1650 for the crank and Timken setup. Problem is, it doesn't end there. You'll end up putting more than a couple Cleveland's in the drive line before its said and done.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Outer Banks has that Zephyr Blue scooter. And I'd bet you could be putting hands on it at Gaithersburg later this week.

They also have this for the rest of youens. I thought all of the limited production stuff would be gone by now.

View attachment 420855
All of those that I saw in person at a few dealerships were bought by employees before they ever saw the showroom. Only saw one on the floor. If I didn't already own my bike that is one I would be interested in.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts