Road Glide banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
@Bigmeat45 glad you enjoyed that. That is how I continually rationalize buying another motorcycle without selling any of the others. One day I woke up and went over all the bikes I had owned, I think I'm up to 20 now. And I imagined a garage with all of them inside. Which would I ride today? Think of the history of these specific machines. Where had they been prior to becoming mine? Where would they go in the future?

That's one aspect of motorcycles that I really enjoy, and taht is why I always buy used. To be able to see this history lined up and ready to roll would be magnificent in every way. Most people dream of being rich beyond belief or with "the most beautiful girl in the world" however I only dream of motorcycles and where they will take me. Everything else in my life fills itself in on it's own.
Do you have a thread where you show off your current fleet of motorcycles?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have had both positive and negative experiences with traction control. Definitely needs to be able to turn off.

I think traction control is handy in those situations that come as a surprise. Some spilled coolant or diesel fuel when trying to scoot out of a gas station ahead of traffic, or accelerating out of a turn. I've seen a few videos of someone going down accelerating out of a turn and there doesn't look like anything in the road, but turns out there was a slippery spot caused by coolant, diesel or some other spilled chemical.

Sometimes we just can't react as fast as the computer can and that 10th of a second might make all the difference. Of course the goal is to never activate traction control, ABS, and all the other safety aides. They should just be there to catch the unknown.
Im going to have to agree with you on this. If Singlebeam would have reacted half a second sooner he would probably still be here with us. That being said I wonder if his bike had it? It was a CVO Streetglide. I believe an 18 model. Ill have to look it up.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Im going to have to agree with you on this. If Singlebeam would have reacted half a second sooner he would probably still be here with us. That being said I wonder if his bike had it? It was a CVO Streetglide. I believe an 18 model. Ill have to look it up.
Nope. They just came out in the 2020 model year.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Without knowing you personally we have a lot of similarities, I traded in a 16 CVO RGU on my Scorched Orange 20 RGL. I also have a money pit Night Train very similar to yours so I feel I can honestly say pull the trigger you will not be disappointed.

Only thing done on the new bike has been slip ons ,16 inch freedom shield and vent doors in the fairing absolutely love it, best riding stock HD I have ever owned. I did not get RSDS wish I would have will be adding TPMS this winter, someone else in this post commented being the only person that likes the stock bars well I am the second. On the 16 and 20 just pulled the pin and rolled them up, perfect. The power and ride is superb hardly ever downshift very strong and smooth, the only thing always having modded motors it doesn’t sound like a Harley sounds more like an old big block muscle car.
I did also de-cat the head pipe did not notice any difference but very easy to do on the bike while switching slip ons.

Seems to me your only decision is 20 or 21 and color, great spot to be in and your gonna be real happy with the new Sled. Happy Holidays and let’s hope for a better New Year!!

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
18 Posts
New guy here. I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I like the RDRS the linked brakes and TPMS. I've only had my new Rgl since thanksgiving put couple hundred miles on it. The weather in Ohio hasn't been all that great but for December been ok. I came from a 15 street glide standard, so no abs nothing. Anyways on Sunday the 19th there was a ride for a young boy who is 11 that was battling cancer. Weather was supposed to be in the 40's slight chance of rain. Well weather men have the easiest job. it never went above 38 and rain. The traction control is awesome in wet conditions. If it wasn't for it being a special event I would have not went. I didn't have any slippage in wet cold roads, on the highway I couldn't even notice it working. I ride pretty aggressive or lets say defensive. I think the RDRS is a good addition to it the hill hold I use pretty much every ride. It doesn't have to be on a hill but any slight incline you have to hold the brake at a long stop light to keep from rolling either forward or backwards. I love everything about this bike..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dumped a pile of money into my old CVO, then traded it in. Don't want to go down that road again.

Skratch, a Zephyr Blue/Black Limited is $34,000. Add the Stage 1, bars, antenna, and detachable kit, and that's near $38k.

This is a classic case of NBF. I don't need a new bike. But the RDRS suite is really enticing. And more power is more power.
As an old bike geezer (2010 FLTRX), I'm pretty tight on the number of $10,000 bills I throw around.
Just take half of one of those 5 digit notes and fix your bike up with all the power you want.
The M8s have more quirks than any evolution or twin cam I've ever owned. I read the posts for the education.
You own a nice bike as it is - free and clear. Instead of owing your soul to the motor company store - just add power and go.
I hate TPMS so much, I'd pay Ford to delete it from my Expedition. Every trip up North, the batteries go low and I get TPMS trouble.
Return South and it clears. And I check my tire pressures regularly - if you don't check your bike's tires - you probably shouldn't own a motorcycle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, been down that road with other bikes. If I need a new crank, why stop at 110? Why not get an S&S, get the cases bored, and go for broke? Which leads to all the other stuff that'd need to be addressed. Suddenly I'm over 10 grand in the motor.

All that's left to do is wait until I get this damned splint off my hand so I can ride.
How is your hand? better?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Splint's off, pinky collapsed again. Probably going to need surgery. I'm going to try to put it off until next winter.
What a pain! Trust it gets resolved.

Reactions: '05Train

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
337 Posts
I traded a 2010 RG custom that was done really nice Probilt great bike loved it I had no intentions of wanting to trade it.My wife has a 2017 road glide S that I would ride from time to time and as I got older I really like that bike.That said I did ride several M8’s andpurchased last fall at Zephyr blue black 2020 road glide S did a stage 2 Couple little embellishments it’s a really great bike no RDRS and I don’t notice it either way these bikes ride really nice for the extra 995 I would’ve gotten the RDRS but the deal was on the bike on the floor so I took it and I was treated very fairly in an industry that is very unfair. From the readings and the posts I think we’re all pretty happy with these new M8’s I was worried about the stage two being excessively noisy it’s actually quieter than stock. I’ll close with this thought about upgrades to trade my 2010 to a 2020 is like going from a covered wagon to an F 14.enjoy your new bike !

·
Registered
198 Posts
I traded a 2010 RG custom that was done really nice Probilt great bike loved it I had no intentions of wanting to trade it.My wife has a 2017 road glide S that I would ride from time to time and as I got older I really like that bike.That said I did ride several M8’s andpurchased last fall at Zephyr blue black 2020 road glide S did a stage 2 Couple little embellishments it’s a really great bike no RDRS and I don’t notice it either way these bikes ride really nice for the extra 995 I would’ve gotten the RDRS but the deal was on the bike on the floor so I took it and I was treated very fairly in an industry that is very unfair. From the readings and the posts I think we’re all pretty happy with these new M8’s I was worried about the stage two being excessively noisy it’s actually quieter than stock. I’ll close with this thought about upgrades to trade my 2010 to a 2020 is like going from a covered wagon to an F 14.enjoy your new bike !

You put a cam in your 2020 and it's quieter?+

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
337 Posts
You put a cam in your 2020 and it's quieter?+
Your right I should have said not louder than stock I am referring to rocker/ head clatter. I posted some time back when I started the search last August. I test drove a scorched orange 2020 road glide S and the motor sounded like a rock polisher no matter what speed or RPM or gear it would not dissipate I told the dealer about it and walked away but it bothered me so the next dealer we were talking and I asked him to start it on the showroom floor which he did it sounded 1000 times better than the one I just got off. Next I asked him to start the bike next to it which he did again sounded about the same I did this a total of five different dealerships until I settled on the bike I own today.really quiet with a stage 2 TQ cam I stopped in at one of the early dealerships and the salesman approached me saying that he had contacted corporate to report my concern and the Moco did say that they are starting to see some of these bikes show up on the floor they told him that they were seeing 1 in 50 with excessive clatter.
I just got lucky. And I run Amsoil and it’s still quiet so far !

·
Registered
256 Posts
I understand you being wary of owning an m8 with the problems they had in the beginning with sumping, fluid transfer etc. That being said how do you think it's going to work out with a brand new bike platform in it's very first year? Anything first year will have issues and I'm sure it being HD it will be no exception. Hopefully it is completely trouble free for you but I have my doubts after buying a 2017 m8 with all the problems. I'm sure they tested the absolute shit out of it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I understand you being wary of owning an m8 with the problems they had in the beginning with sumping, fluid transfer etc. That being said how do you think it's going to work out with a brand new bike platform in it's very first year? Anything first year will have issues and I'm sure it being HD it will be no exception. Hopefully it is completely trouble free for you but I have my doubts after buying a 2017 m8 with all the problems. I'm sure they tested the absolute shit out of it.
Fair questions.

I'm playing the odds. This is literally a make-or-break rollout. The fact that it's taking so long tells me that The Mothership understands that and is making sure it's not another M8 disaster. In talking to the sales manager at the dealer, he tells me that it's "a brand new day" at Harley, and that this intro is like nothing they've done before. The RevMax is the new engine family, and you will be seeing it across the line in short order. Hell, I'd be willing to make a gentleman's wager that you won't be able to buy a new air-cooled Harley in 5 years.

At any rate, it will have teething issues. Everything does. But this is the bike I've wanted Harley to build for years. Yes, I wish it had a single-sided swingarm. Yes, it should come with a heated seat. But my god did they get everything else right. If everyone waits a year, there might not be a second year. The MoCo is tipping its toe into making super-competitive, modern bikes. It's about damn time, and I'm happy to support them.

Because, dammit, I want a water-cooled, 150hp Road Glide with all the gizmos that this beastie has.

·
Registered
'20 RGS
130 Posts
I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the Pan America, such a cool looking bike and the specs are impressive!

Do you get to keep the RG once the Pan America comes in?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Right now the plan is to keep the Road Glide. We'll see how many miles I put on it come October.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts