Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding since I was 8 and have owned a lot of bikes. Until now every one of them has been carbureted. I know how to fine tune a carb...my Yamaha Road Star gets 50+ mpg on the freeway.

But, I don't know jack about EFI and mapping. I'm getting ready to change out my mufflers and AC and on a carbed bike I would just rejet to get the right mixture. I'm assuming that's what mapping does.

I'm going to put on a SE Race Tuner and the guys at dealership are going to map it for me. BUT, how complicated is this. Is it something I could do.

So...please, help me understand how the mapping works.

Thanks,

G

·
Registered
513 Posts
basically remapping of an efi is the same thing as rejetting a carb but that is over simplifying things a bit. since efi is electronic there is more to it than just "rejetting" what with oxygen sensors & other over complicated silliness that make these wonderfull bikes work. i don't completely undestand it but i have an idea. hopefully these links will help you understand efi a little more -

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/motorcycle_efi_basics.htm

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/efiharley.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the SE Race Tuner, Software and cables and want to give it a shot too. For now I'm sticking with all HD parts, so nothing unusual. I have a 2010 FLTRX with the stock headers and Nightstick SE slip on. I got an HD Ventilator breather for Christmas, and didn't want to spend the $150 to have the dealer install a map. Figured for the price of the software and cables I could probably do it myself.

I'd probably go with a dyno tune if I did any major changes to the bike, but looking for advice on what I'm planning. Anybody do this? What were the results?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have the SE Race Tuner, Software and cables and want to give it a shot too. For now I'm sticking with all HD parts, so nothing unusual. I have a 2010 FLTRX with the stock headers and Nightstick SE slip on. I got an HD Ventilator breather for Christmas, and didn't want to spend the $150 to have the dealer install a map. Figured for the price of the software and cables I could probably do it myself.

I'd probably go with a dyno tune if I did any major changes to the bike, but looking for advice on what I'm planning. Anybody do this? What were the results?
there will be a download for your combination in the racetuner software. It is simple to reflash the download into your ecm for your combo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
there will be a download for your combination in the racetuner software. It is simple to reflash the download into your ecm for your combo.
I had the software loaded on an older computer and couldn't find one specifically for my bike (which surprised me) ... I must be missing it. The dealer said there is a .pdf file with all the downloads listed. I uninstalled the software from the old machine as it was running too slow.

I have a reconditioned Dell Core 2 machine on order for the garage. Hopefully that will work better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts