Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a little reluctant to do this on my own .
I' ve never changed grips and with the TBW im even more reluctant to do it. Ive seen You Tube vids showing how to do it and it seems simple enough but it wasn't with the Throttle by wire .

Does anyone have a link on how to do this. ?
Thanks.!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The throttle grip just slips over the grooves in the rheostat for the throttle. No problem. Just be careful with the front brake switch and the clutch switch. Other that that the hardest part will be getting your old left grip off.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
+1 to what Joe said, be careful with that switch. The manual says use cardboard as a shim to hold the lever, I used the head of a zip tie. I didn't have a problem with the LH side but no adhesive was used, it came right off.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Just watch the brake light switch on the right side and the clutch safety switch on the left side. I never used anything like cardboard to protect the switches but it is not a bad idea. The HD grips have a male part on them that fits into the female groove in the switch housings that way the grips will stay in place without any adhesive because the grip is married to the switch housing. The install is simple just make sure that you do not pinch the wire harness when tightening the clutch & brake lever clamps .

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Remove the left grip by loosening the switch housing.

Gently slide a slim screwdriver about half way,
Give a squirt of windex in the opening you created.
Leave screwdriver in place and start twisting back and forth at the open end. You'll feel the windex start working it's way around and the grip will let loose... works great, fast and not messy.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Remove the left grip by loosening the switch housing.

Gently slide a slim screwdriver about half way,
Give a squirt of windex in the opening you created.
Leave screwdriver in place and start twisting back and forth at the open end. You'll feel the windex start working it's way around and the grip will let loose... works great, fast and not messy.
You don't need to do that with the HD grips. HD does not use any adhesives on the grips all you need to do is take the switch housing apart and slide the grips off the handlebars. Be careful the left grip may slide off and land on your foot so get a hold of it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You don't need to do that with the HD grips. HD does not use any adhesives on the grips all you need to do is take the switch housing apart and slide the grips off the handlebars. Be careful the left grip may slide off and land on your foot so get a hold of it.
Then this is new... my '05 had the captive left grip and it was adhered to the bar.

Also, what's this you say about a clutch interlock switch... I have no such thing on my '12.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Then this is new... my '05 had the captive left grip and it was adhered to the bar.

Also, what's this you say about a clutch interlock switch... I have no such thing on my '12.
Sure you have the clutch interlock switch (my 08 fltr has it) that is why your bike will not start in gear unless the clutch is pulled in. If your bike starts in gear without the clutch pulled in then the interlock switch is broken or not installed properly. You can see in the lower half of the clutch side switch housing were the grip sets into the housing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Sure you have the clutch interlock switch (my 08 fltr has it) that is why your bike will not start in gear unless the clutch is pulled in. If your bike starts in gear without the clutch pulled in then the interlock switch is broken or not installed properly. You can see in the lower half of the clutch side switch housing were the grip sets into the housing.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Popped it apart and there it is. Dang, one step closer to a ricer... lol When did this get added?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts