Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point in time I'd like to select a cheap solution to lower my RGC. I'm contemplating on either progressive 412 (11.5") or a lowering kit (LA Choppers or Road 6 Custom). Can anyone tell me if the height of stock shocks in the rear is 12"? If this is the case, then I guess I'd only get a 1/2" drop by going with progressive. I'd like to get an inch. Any suggestions on the best lowering kit?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Got the lowering brackets off ebay , rides same as stock on the shark, went with Monroe set up on my old road king also but have to run to much air n them to not bottom out while driving. The Monroe set up ride quality is great n the looks while slammed with the fishtails almost on the ground is so sweet looking, but only while parked!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the lowering brackets off ebay , rides same as stock on the shark, went with Monroe set up on my old road king also but have to run to much air n them to not bottom out while driving. The Monroe set up ride quality is great n the looks while slammed with the fishtails almost on the ground is so sweet looking, but only while parked!
What kit did you buy off ebay? Thanks!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
If you want to lower your bike, have poor handling, bottoming out, then go with the blocks. It puts the shock at a greater angle which means a shock can 'NOT' do it's job, properly, which means what I stated above. Check it out on line & do some research before making your decision. IMHO, 'Cheap' equals problems & I don't want problems with the handling of my bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I have had lowering blocks on my bike for approx 30k miles without any issues or concerns. I can tell you that they do change the shock angle slightly but i personally dont think it changes the ride quality or at least its not noticable enough to make me regret the blocks. Im 300+lbs and my gfriend is 118lbs and there hasnt been any complaints about ride quality(about the bike not the girl:)). Now with that said, i have removed the lowering blocks recently in order to do the DIY Monroe air shocks mod which i can say for around $200 is not a bad deal. Now for my sales pitch :). If you are interested in going the with the lowering blocks i have a set that i just took off my 09 RG id be willing to part with. The only thing wrong with them is the black finish is faded from being on the bike for so long. They will lower the rear 1" and will come with the bolts to attach them to the existing shock hole on the swing arm. Youll reuse the lower shock bolt to mount the shock to the blocks. PM me if interested

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought a set of lowering blocks on ebay for 50 bucks. This will just be temporary as I'd like to spend cash on bars, grips, mirrors, etc. I know I'II eventually go with a better solution!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got my 2" kit for $17.99 off Ebay..
You had Choice of 1" or 2"

It was THE SAME IDENTICAL BRACKET that Yaffe sells for over $200... And all it does is relocate the lower shock mounting location...

I installed it myself...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts