Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I need some assistance for all of you concerning my newest or should I say my first attempt at upgrading my audio system on my 13’ RGC. I have spoken to a few of you via messages but it seems like the dealerships in my area are giving me the run around. The system:

1. Hertz HSK 165 6.5 - Lower Faring
2. Polk Audio DXI 651 – Upper Faring w/ ring adapters
3. Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch Amp

I am being told that 6.5 speakers will not fit in the upper faring without the faring being cut! I am also being told 6.5 will not go in the lower faring! Ok, after reading through the board I found I needed the following to complete my set up:

1. HD speaker grille ea., 76000065
2. HD screws ea. 10200012
3. HD left speaker box (prime), 57410-11
4. HD right speaker box (prime), 57419-11

After taking this information back to the dealership I am still being told this will not work on a 2013 and that I should just purchase the boom audio set. I am not familiar with audio or HD upgrades in general so I use advice from this site on nearly everything I purchase and plan. I appreciate your assistance in advance.
I also want to order the following: 76476-10 IPOD INTERFACE KIT

Do I need cables or anything?

Again that you! Airborne ALL the way!

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
You're dealer is full of crap and just wants to sell you a HD system. If you go with the CVO parts you can fit 6.5s in your lowers, also to put 6.5s in your fairing you just need adapters, the only way you would need to cut your fairing is if you want to put four speakers in the fairing. But I do have to wonder why would you want the HSKs in your lowers instead of in the fairing, how do you plan to mount the tweeters and do you really want crossovers in your lowers?

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
875 Posts
I make the dealer the last place I stop and shop unless i am looking for a T-shirt. Amazing the lack of knowledge or outright lying they do. Good luck with your upgrade

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're dealer is full of crap and just wants to sell you a HD system. If you go with the CVO parts you can fit 6.5s in your lowers, also to put 6.5s in your fairing you just need adapters, the only way you would need to cut your fairing is if you want to put four speakers in the fairing. But I do have to wonder why would you want the HSKs in your lowers instead of in the fairing, how do you plan to mount the tweeters and do you really want crossovers in your lowers?

Sent from my SPH-L710
Dbell, this is where the forum expertise is needed. I really do not know the difference to be honest - I just chose Hertz for the lowers but definitely not sold on that choice. In your opinion, do you feel the Hertz should be in the upper faring and Polk in the lower? I really appreciate your assistance!!

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
How did you come up with the speakers your choosing?

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually

A friend purchased them and I took the gift off his hands for free - he was deploying.

Amp and both sets of speakers. I am determined to make them work. What do you recommend?

·
Banned
845 Posts
I would rethink the speaker placement and even the choices...... Dbell, ITOLDU, And other members are very knowledgable about audio so def. take what info they all give
Ya.

As for me, i went with Arc Audio 6.5 In the front fairing, used arc audio speaker adapters.... Dont buy adapters on ebay, lots of fakes, I recently went through this and posted some info on it as well. Buy the adapters straight from arc audio.

U may even think about going with arc audio MPAK audio kits. They come will all u need, and leaves the guess work out of things.

Heres the 6.5 Arc Audio MOTO 602 spealer I put in fairing.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1393990147.439709.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 6.5 Boston Acoustics Pro SE 60 in the dash
and Polk MM651 in harley SE lowers on 13 RGC.

The polks fit right in the lowers and the covers fit.
I had to sand a little of the outer fairing where the speaker is in the dash=no big deal.

Your dealer is full of BS, keep reading on the forums.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I will definitely listen to the experts. But, it had to get ride of free stuff! LOL

I hope they can help me with the equipment I have.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I wondered about your choices because your speakers are two totally different classes, you have on the high end a set of Hertz HSKs, then a set of Polks. ..... probably $400 difference in the price, and the performance will show. I would definitely stick the HSKs in the fairing.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hello all

I need some assistance for all of you concerning my newest or should I say my first attempt at upgrading my audio system on my 13’ RGC. I have spoken to a few of you via messages but it seems like the dealerships in my area are giving me the run around. The system:

1. Hertz HSK 165 6.5 - Lower Faring
2. Polk Audio DXI 651 – Upper Faring w/ ring adapters
3. Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch Amp

I am being told that 6.5 speakers will not fit in the upper faring without the faring being cut! I am also being told 6.5 will not go in the lower faring! Ok, after reading through the board I found I needed the following to complete my set up:

1. HD speaker grille ea., 76000065
2. HD screws ea. 10200012
3. HD left speaker box (prime), 57410-11
4. HD right speaker box (prime), 57419-11

After taking this information back to the dealership I am still being told this will not work on a 2013 and that I should just purchase the boom audio set. I am not familiar with audio or HD upgrades in general so I use advice from this site on nearly everything I purchase and plan. I appreciate your assistance in advance.
I also want to order the following: 76476-10 IPOD INTERFACE KIT

Do I need cables or anything?

Again that you! Airborne ALL the way!
'Would be wary of having that dealer install any aftermarket components:eek:

I have an IPOD INTERFACE KIT AVAILABLE PM if interested...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Agree with DBELL & SCOOTIN on this one. Get a set of adapters and run the HERTZ up top. If you have to keep the other speakers run them in the lowers, but I would seriously consider selling them. You can find a set of hertz hcx 165 (co-axial) speakers for under $200. Torqu just sold some brand new ones yesterday for $175 so if you can get $75-$50 for the polks you cut the cost down even more on the Hertz co-axials. At some point consider changing the head unit. This doesn't have to be done immediately the HK will work for now but I promise you both sets of hertz will make you smile :D! Good luck

Wmoor04 where r u located? There may be a forum member or two close by and willing to help you with this mod for 3 beers, a shot of whiskey and just the overall brotherhood of the thing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fort Bragg, Nc - I would appreciate any and all help.
Fort Bragg! Thats the problem right there! I was there for 7 years and have been gone for over 6 years, but seems as tho that Harley dealer there still doesnt have a clue! Your best bet is to get out of Bragg asap and head to Raleigh or any of the other bigger markets (Charlotte would be optimum). In those places, there is more competition and more stuff people have tried. cape Fear Harley only wants to deal with Harley stuff and wont even entertain the idea of aftermarket. I didnt learn about all of the options available until I moved to Atlanta. Prior to that, I wouldve bet you a years salary that nothing was better than Harley stuff because I was drinking the Kool-Aid from Cape Fear. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have J&M 7.25 in my fairing,no cutting required,they came with adapters,easy-peasy.I would tend to avoid any dealer who told me something like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts