Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2010 with 3600 miles.
Noise #1- on my ride home today coasting to a stop about 30-40 mph NOT on rear brake I hear this grinding/rubbing almost metal-to-metal sound witch is also speed related from the rear wheel. I was about 15 miles from home so I nursed it home, the noise was there whole way home. I had my wife stand in the street as I went by and she could hear it.
Noise #2- while at home at the end of the driveway in neutral I pulled the clutch in and out in and out to listen to any noise change in the primary.
But when I pulled it in to shift to first to bring it into the garage I heard this lound ratcheting/grinding noise from inside the primary for abouit 3 seconds.
Got it in the garage did same procedure, neutral, in out in out into 1st same ratcheting/grinding noise same 3 seconds.
Put it on the jack, spun the rear wheel for noise #1 sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
Any advise would be great, BIG THANKS in advance.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
But, Call them!
If this is under a warranty they will want to get it on a trailer and fixed before a bad situation is made worse.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
bahhh.. just turn up your radio and it will go away :D

Im joking of coarse

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the same sound on my 2010 RGC (probably still do, but Rush muffler drowns it out now) and several members here said it was probably the Isolated Drive System on the rear wheel to minimize the drivetrain sounds/vibrations. Best explanation so far I guess, dealer mechanic couldn't figure out out here, but that's to be expected sometimes. I thought it was either brake shoes scrubbing or bearings myself. Ride safe my friend-we're all invisible you know..........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strangest thing, go figure, I decided to ride into work today, which is 26 miles , but 5 miles from a dealer. I was going to drop it off to them, they did my 1000 mile service but they are not the dealer I purchased it at, they are about 95 miles away. So anyways I started off and I did NOT hear ANY noises, so I thought it was a warm or hot condition, all the way to work not a single noise, so I didn't take it in. But I did already have an appointment for Saturday with my selling dealer for some other problems, so I will mention this to them and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks alot for the feed backs everyone.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is a H-D, they make a LOT of noise.

The dragging noise could have been the brake pads dragging on the rotors, they will make a grinding noise until the pucks retract back into the calipers. As for the clutch issue, I have not had a H-D that did not have a clunk/grind while dropping it into first gear.

One thing for sure, if you do not feel comfortable have the dealership check it out. Better safe than sorry.

On a side note, every time you change windshield height or brand you will think the bike is coming apart. I just change my shield out and for the entire ride into work I kept hearing "new" noises.

Chainsaw has it right, invest in a good radio system.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the same dragging noise on my 10'. It definitely gets more noticeable when its warm. Mine seems to come from the drive side and can sound like a truck stopping. I had the dealer look at it during the 1K service, but the couldn't find anything. On another site, the general consensus was the isolated drive, but who knows. I am curious to see what your dealer says.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I rode the bike 95 miles to my selling dealer for my appointment on Saturday and not a single noise from the rear wheel. I had to leave it there
one other MAJOR problem I have is that when I installed my Jackpot 2-1-2 header pipe and 4" dyno mufflers, PC-V and air filter last weekend When I took my seat off there was 2 large scuff marks one on each side of the tank
worn through the paint into the primer :mad: . So now I wait for the phone call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts