Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the skinny. My father in law had a 92 ultra with a stock evo. The Evo started blowing oil by like crazy and it had 160,000 miles on it so he wanted it replaced. He bought a ultima 113" motor. I took the evo out and put the ultima in. I also put in a new ultima high performance clutch. The bike runs like a champ.

Here is the issue. When the bike warms up it doesn't want to shift. If you go into first the shifter sticks down. Once you get into 5th it doesn't want to downshift. I adjusted clutch per the manual. Run the adjuster screw in until it touches and back it out 1/4 turn and tighten the nut. Adjusted the cable to have an 1/8 of play. I made sure that there is plenty of grease on the shafts for the shift linkage.the linkage doesn't seem to be binding. I don't know what it could be. Thought the primary chain was too tight so I loosened it up. No difference. What's left. Nothing else was touched.

Any help would be great guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
Could be a couple of things. Shifter linkage binding up, or the shifter arms and/or shaft on either end of the linkage catching on something and binding up. I would start there first. It could even be a broken spring or pawl in the tranny, which would cause the shift lever not to spring back up. Make sure the linkage and bolt at the front aren't catching the motor fins. I have the 113 in a Fatboy and its really close. The motor is already wider than stock and add a little heat and its going to expand a bit more.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just guessing here but did you pull the clutch hub and retorque it by chance when you change clutches?

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be a couple of things. Shifter linkage binding up, or the shifter arms and/or shaft on either end of the linkage catching on something and binding up. I would start there first. It could even be a broken spring or pawl in the tranny, which would cause the shift lever not to spring back up. Make sure the linkage and bolt at the front aren't catching the motor fins. I have the 113 in a Fatboy and its really close. The motor is already wider than stock and add a little heat and its going to expand a bit more.

Lil Chief
I did notice how close the linkage was when I installed it. It doesn't touch now though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes. I had to pull it and install the new inner basket for this clutch. Why?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my thought is maybe the hub was over torqued and put the mainshaft in a bind. If it shifted fine before and the linkage isn't binding.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my thought is maybe the hub was over torqued and put the mainshaft in a bind. If it shifted fine before and the linkage isn't binding.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
I'm going to pull the primary and check it today. I'll loosen the basket and retorque. The clutch is the only thing I touched on the Trans. What is the correct torque spec on the clutch basket?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
First of all, pull the shifter linkage off the shifter arm on the transmission. Is the sifter arm now free to shift thru the gears on the tranny. It should return each time you shift the lever. To make sure, if you want to jack up the rear tire off the ground, remove the spark plugs and use the rear tire to turn the engine while shifting. If it doesn't shift properly like this, there is something going on in the transmission.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, pull the shifter linkage off the shifter arm on the transmission. Is the sifter arm now free to shift thru the gears on the tranny. It should return each time you shift the lever. To make sure, if you want to jack up the rear tire off the ground, remove the spark plugs and use the rear tire to turn the engine while shifting. If it doesn't shift properly like this, there is something going on in the transmission.
I will try this again tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts