Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 rgu and while i ride my voltage stays at 14 plus or minus 1 ,but at a stop it goes to 12 volt . Is this normal or do i have an issue coming? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My '13 runs 14.5 at speed, drops during idle, not sure to what, but I think that kind of fluctuation is normal. Hope so, mine has been like that since last November, hasn't caused any problems.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Mine has been doing that since day one with no issues.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have a 2011 rgu and while i ride my voltage stays at 14 plus or minus 1 ,but at a stop it goes to 12 volt . Is this normal or do i have an issue coming? thanks in advance.
Perfectly normal, especially if someone has dropped the idle speed setting down trying to get the "potato" sound out of it.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
You really need to check it with a multi-meter, if you don't have should get, easy to do, and a troubleshooters best friend, there are threads on here to show how...... with that said, mines slow to drop when off, and I know everything right with....... ........ ...... & ..cause meter verifies:)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Check it at the battery with a voltmeter. If its truly dropping to 12vdc then the battery is going bad. Ask me how I know.

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
agree with tmd , the gauge isn't very accurate , check with a meter across the terminals , should be close to 13 volts on the low side , at idle , run it up to 2000 or so , such read high 13's - low 14's

since ya don't have three hands , I put alligator clip extensions on my meter leads , so's I could run the throttle up

my stator went south a few months ago , my only notice was , once or twice , the gauge dropped to 12 at 75 mph for a few moments ..

JtB

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
This is normal. Check everyone else bike. The voltage is always higher while the bike is being ridden down the road as opposed to sitting and idling.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
This is normal. Check everyone else bike. The voltage is always higher while the bike is being ridden down the road as opposed to sitting and idling.
Yes and no. While the voltage does increase when rpm's do it should be over 12 at idle.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I had to check mine with a voltmeter its always pegged out checked out O.K. guess I should replace it so its working so when a real problem pops up I have some warning

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2012 is acting up also... I was in the middle of the desert and it started reading below 12 at speed. Thought I was running on battery power only and my alt. or reg. was out. Volt meter on the battery checks normal (13 volts). Appears to be the gauge. The point in many of these posts is if the battery is charged, it should read 13 volts at the battery. Under load at idle it typically reads a little less but must read more than 13 volts at higher RPM if its charging. This is all sort of subjective but if you use the battery voltage as the line between charging and not charging it becomes simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts