Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I give. I have been searching for detailed info on installing an amp and speakers on a 2013 RG custom. I have ordered the Kappa 62.lli speakers, not adding rears at his time. I am planning on keeping the stock head unit at this time but I will install an amp. What other parts are necessary for the install? Would my stock radio run the kappa's, as they are 2 ohm? Are there any videos out there for the 2013's? All I can find is vid's on newer models. I assume my stock head only has speaker level outs. So I would need an amp that takes speaker level or add a unit to reduce the speaker outs to line level. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On my RGU I added an amp when I updated the speakers.
If your amp allows for high level input then it is pretty easy. I had ordered the hogworkz amp bracket and wiring kit to make it easier. If you are running an amp you need to be sure the amp is 2 Ohm stable. I used a sound stream 2 channel class D amp which is 2 ohm stable which was by design since I am adding lower speaker pods. When I swap out the rear tourpack speakers I’ll add a second 2 channel amp back there for them.

the big thing is locating the source for a power on signal for the amp....I used the accessory port (lighter socket) power as my signal for that. The wiring kit I had bought had information on how to do all that plus wires precut with connectors in place including the main power cables.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
You'll need 6.5 speaker adapters. Order off of Hawgwired for those.
You don't need an amp but will want one. Your volume won't be as loud but will sound better ,Just playing off the HU.
Make sure the amp you use offers high level input, unless you want to have the HU modified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Any recommendations on amps? Please keep in mind my speakers are 2 ohm and it appears some amps, especially 4 channel don't like 2 ohm loads (in 2 channel mode?). Also any pics or videos would be nice before I tear into it. Also mounting brackets if needed and wiring harnesses.
Btw I am leaning toward the RF pbr300x2 amp. But still looking.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Oh ya, do some amps cause radio interference on the 2013?
Yes, a lot of the class D amps will deteriorate radio reception. I had the RF 300x2. It burned up in 6 months. I do live where the temp hits triple digits ,hi humidity. I've since been running the Soundstream Nano 520. It's been solid for the past 3 yrs and sounds good for the price.
Many good amps out there. You really need to set a price and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is an interesting bit of info. I just measured the voltage of the stock Harley radio, at full volume, playing pink noise from a cd. Into 2 ohm speakers the max was 2.1 volt. That equates to 2 watts. Unbelievable. No wonder we can't here our tunes at highway speed.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Here is an interesting bit of info. I just measured the voltage of the stock Harley radio, at full volume, playing pink noise from a cd. Into 2 ohm speakers the max was 2.1 volt. That equates to 2 watts. Unbelievable. No wonder we can't here our tunes at highway speed.
thats good info to know right there for setting those amps that have adjustable inputs. i always wondered what the input voltage would be going into the amp.

i wonder how much the avc affects that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Skratch. The problem is that this is still way more voltage than can be used into preamp inputs on an amp. And the Harley has no low level preamp outputs. So an add on amp must have speaker level inputs or you have to buy a line leveler. Just more BS and money. I'm about ready to replace the Harley head unit with something else. But I still might want an amp too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Man I done wasted precious riding time searching for volume. I started with the Hogtunes 2 ohm system, then the PBR 300 - 4 ohm system (now for sale), and now I'm "kinda" happy with the Biketronics

4180 amp... 200 watts, 300 watts, 700 watts... The PBR amp seemed loud enough but did get quiet warm. I think the Diamond Micro amp runs cooler. I never had a reception issue and I got a hidden

antenna in the faring. I'd get OFC (oxygen free copper) wire, not the CCA (copper clad aluminum) crap that breaks easy. Speakers; I'd get at least 200 watts with a 1.5 inch voice coil (not 1 inch). I still

don't know near as much as these guys on here but PM me and Ill help any way I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. I installed the 6.5 in. Kappa speakers. They definitely sound good, way better than stock. However I know the head unit is holding this system back big time. I found a shop nearby that will install a fg pbr 300x2 at a good price. I think this is what I will do. I read on another forum that this amp is a very good match for the 2 ohm Kappa's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts