Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed my pipes, intake and FP... I immediately noticed that when you quickly crack the throttle open and release, it chokes out/sputters/lags just a little bit. It's very brief, but you can tell that there is some sort of poor throttle response or something. Its significant enough that I actually stalled the engine at a stop light jacking with it... any thoughts? V and H is closed for the weekend. Thanks MIKE

2011 FLTRU, VH Pro Pipe HO, VH Stage 1, Fuel Pak

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call them Monday and see what they say. I was curious if it had anything to do with the throttle by wire set up? I'm not completely educated on how the TBW works, but I'm pretty sure there is a sending unit in the end of the handlebar that does the work. Keeping in mind that I don't recall having this issue before the install... is it possible that when I rolled my handlebars back (for comfort purposes) and adjusted the angle of the controls, that I somehow jacked up the "position" of the sending unit? Typing this out, it sounds pretty far fetched... but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just installed a Fuel pak on my 2011 with a vance and hines propipe and se air intake. Mine does the exact same thing as yours. Poor throttle response from closed throttle, almsot like a delay. It performs great in every other way and it even eliminated all of my pinging so I figured I would leave well enough alone. Please post the outcome of your discussion with Vance and Hines. If it happening to both of us Im sure everyone else is suffering from the same problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
mine does same i've learned to give a little throttle at lights and roll on from there to avoid stalling but when i was using a friends model 61009 fuelpak with values for my 2011 it didn't have this lag and also still had O2 sensers connected don't know if there's any connection or not i also rolled my bars back but think that has nothing to do with it. I also noted that on a cold start up the throttle response is almost instantanious no lag
let us know what you find out thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well at least it's not just me!!! I already emailed tech support and will be calling them first thing on Monday. Thanks!!!! Mike

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey Mike - what I'm going to do is disconnect and reconnect the FP module and then do the installation routine again, i.e., throttle roll, check the FP numbers - like I said I replaced my bars so things may have changed. But +1 on whatever V&H lets you know. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke with Chris at V&H tech support. He stated that some of it could be riding style (not sure that applies here), but he did give me 3 modes to update. I will not be able to try this until later this evening, but wanted to get it out there in case anyone else has a chance.

Per Chris:

Update Modes 45, 46 and 47 all to 30.

I'm using map FP-4320 and it current has all those modes in the 20's.

Ill post my findings tonight!! MIKE

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Humph!? As usual "read the directions" - after I did I saw that there is no tweeking of the TBW. My Bad! Thought I remembered first twisting the handlebar to get some sort of base. Besides my model is the 61009 not the 61019...:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
joke A. Modes 21 and 22 are diagnostic modes. Mode 21 shows you the current throttle position. The value at mode 21 should read 0 with your hand off the throttle and immediately start scrolling up (1,2,3…) as you twist the throttle open and should climb all the way to 99 at wide open throttle. If it does not do this, go to mode 19 and roll the throttle all the way open then roll it all the way shut by hand, do not let it shut by itself. Go back to mode 21 and re-verify. Mode 22 shows the current engine rpm. Start the engine and go to mode 22. A warm engine will idle between 900-1200 rpm which should show up as a 9-12 in mode 22. the rpm reading should follow the engine rpm as it goes up and down.

Back to questions

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Round 1

Ok... So I got home, adjusted 45-47 and no change. Called VH, they had me increase 45-47 to 50. That made a difference, but not right yet. Called VH again and made additional adjustments to mode 15, increasing it to +5. At that point I had to go so we jumped on and have been riding all evening.

The conclusion:

Although it's night and day difference from before, it's still not 100%. I will be calling back tomorrow for some additional adjustments. I can say however that VH has been very helpful... But I would have expected a little better map out of the gate based on my previous experiences with the Fuelpak. I also just discovered an exhaust leak where the front header joins with the megaphone. I'll post my next round of adjustments tomorrow. Thanks MIKE

(the thought of having it dyno'd and tuned is starting to cross my mind... We will see how this goes)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok... So I got home, adjusted 45-47 and no change. Called VH, they had me increase 45-47 to 50. That made a difference, but not right yet. Called VH again and made additional adjustments to mode 15, increasing it to +5. At that point I had to go so we jumped on and have been riding all evening.

The conclusion:

Although it's night and day difference from before, it's still not 100%. I will be calling back tomorrow for some additional adjustments. I can say however that VH has been very helpful... But I would have expected a little better map out of the gate based on my previous experiences with the Fuelpak. I also just discovered an exhaust leak where the front header joins with the megaphone. I'll post my next round of adjustments tomorrow. Thanks MIKE

(the thought of having it dyno'd and tuned is starting to cross my mind... We will see how this goes)
is the only thing that changed the lack of response off idle or has performance and milage changed also?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent had a chance to check milage... throttle response is not right yet and overall the power feels sluggish/bogged down. I talked to a local tuner and he suggested a PCV unit. Ordered one, will be here on Friday. Gonna install we the included map and compare to the FP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made suggested changes to mine made things worse going to call later and give fuelpak one more try then who knows please post your results

Did you have any more luck with VH? I just received the PCV and installed it this AM. You can tell an immediate difference. After warm up I drove it around the block, again, dramatic improvement. I should have gone this way from the beginning. I'm running whatever map Fuel Moto put on there for my setup... pretty damn good if you ask me. I will try to get some mileage on it this weekend and update this thread with a review and my findings. I still think I'm going to meet with the tuner on Tuesday and let him try a few few maps that he's already built for the bike. Even if I revert back to the Fuel Moto map it will be good piece of mind and I will have at least two maps to run with. There is also a way to load two maps and switch back and forth. Might try that as well. Cant wait to get on the bike this afternoon. MIKE

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help as I won't be getting my FP for another two more weeks but I did install the new Throttlepak from V&H. But because it's the only thing I've done since having the 1000 mile service done ($270...WTF!...it should be included with your purchase...just my opinion) I don't know how it will perform after the pipes, air cleaner and FP are installed. But for right now the throttle response is like I'm running throttle cables, immediate. I found a brand new TP on ebay for $188. Its been two months since this thread so I'm sorry if I'm a little late.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to the forum! i too have a fuel pac and put on air filter, de-catted head pipes and V and H oval slip ons and was having the same stalling right off idle and a back fire shifting between 1 and 2. did the changes to the map below and what a difference now it runs great! thanks to the forum!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts