Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing my J&M Rokkers system. Everything going smooth until I got to the main ground for the amp. Instructions say NOT to go to neg post on battery, yet I have seen people do it even professional installers on YouTube. Only reason I ask I the main ground screw on the motor is pissing me off!!! I can't get to it. Is there a special tool I need?

I have a 2013 FLTRU

Thanks...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm not sure about where the spot you're referring to, but the spot where I've ground my systems to is on the right hand side of the bike just forward and below the battery. If you want, I can take a picture of it and upload it. I forgot who told me about that spot, but i've used it on all my amps and it works like a charm. I cant remember what else is grounded there.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Why are their so many opinions on whether or not to go directly to battery? Some companies say to, and others say never??? Is there some evidence either way of damage, or just personal beliefs/opinions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Good question. I was wondering the same. I always thought there was no better ground than the battery.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I don't buy the instruction that you have to ground the amp to the frame ground point rather than the battery. Those two points are on either end of a thick, short cable. Electrically, they're the same point.

I ground everything to a terminal block connected to the negative battery terminal and have had no problems.

On my last two bikes I've used a Powerlet Termin-8 to make all my positive and ground connections. It's convenient and maintains a single, clean connection to each battery terminal. Works great: http://www.powerlet.com/product/termin8-easier-than-fuseblock/409

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
692 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts