Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. Really need some help here. Before I roll this thing into traffic.

Bike is a 1992 ultra classic electra glide. I recently put a Ultima El Bruto 113 in it. New oring at the engine block and put it all together with Ultima high performance clutch. After about an hour ride. Starter went out. Pulled the outer primary, put a new starter in and reassembled. Took it for a ride and it blew oil all over. Pulled outer and inner primary replaced both seals ( Jackshaft and trans) put it back together. Today took it for a ride, oil leaking down again. Frustrated, I pulled the derby cover and there was pressure in there. Wth causes pressure in there? And if it's not supposed to have pressure is that what's causing the leak? It doesn't leak right away. I don't know which seal is leaking as I haven't taken it apart again. This is my father in law's bike and I just want the damn thing out of my garage now. I didn't have any of these issues on my road glide when I pulled the inner primary. Wth am I missing?

I need help. This thing is in the way of my cam install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Ultima s machine surfaces, seen their metallurgy do weird , but when right seem to run fine

Meaning sometimes gasket sets don't match per application always ck, cause of close tolerance, even overtightenin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ultima s machine surfaces, seen their metallurgy do weird , but when right seem to run fine
What? The motor runs great. It's primary leak that I'm worried about. Lol

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Are you sure it's primary oil ? If so, pretty easy to bungle up one of the spagetti seals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure it's primary oil ? If so, pretty easy to bungle up one of the spagetti seals.
Yeah it's the primary. It's getting on the belt on the primary side. Why would there be pressure in there? When I pulled the derby cover there was a lot of air that came out.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Does that model have the pre bent rubber vent tube coming off the left side of the tranny near the primary? If so, check to make sure it's not clogged up.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Yeah it's the primary. It's getting on the belt on the primary side. Why would there be pressure in there? When I pulled the derby cover there was a lot of air that came out.

They also vented through the push rod on the clutch into the Trans. Since you replaced the clutch, might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They also vented through the push rod on the clutch into the Trans. Since you replaced the clutch, might be a good place to start.
How do I check it? I adjusted the clutch per the manual. Turn it in til it touches and back off half turn, lock it down. Adjust cable to have 1/16" of play.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
You may have a bad crankshaft seal on the primary side of the engine.
The only way pressure could get in the primary is for the crankshaft seal to go bad and the crankcase pressure is leaking into the primary.
To check this you could get colored dye and put in the engine oil, you can get this dye at most top end auto parts stores. If the dye ends up in the primary fluid you know the crank seal is bad.
Also check the crankcase breathers and make sure they are functioning correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured it out.

It was the seal that ultima uses on the clutch hub nut. It wasn't letting the primary vent. I pulled the seal out of it, put it back together and rode it. No leaks what so ever. I can't believe I've taken the inner primary apart 3 times because of that stupid seal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In medicine It's called differential diagnosis. you just keep treating the symptoms until they go away. Usually it's the last thing you fix that does the trick;-}

1 - 11 of 11 Posts