Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 03 CVO Road glide for two years now and love it but I can't take the buffeting any more. I've added the GADDS deflectors with little or no difference noted. I've read lots of opinions- Windvest, Cee Bailey, Klockwerks, etc. etc. but I need actual input from others who have faced this problem with a Road Glide. Yes, I know that Madstad is highly rated, but no offense to anyone- I don't think I can stand that look on my bike. I test rode another brand last week and I gotta tell ya- I didn't even realize how bad I was getting beat up. I'm 5'-10" with a 30 inch inseam. Any help would be appreciated, I hate to trade off. :confused:

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I don't recall an 03 CVO RG. Is that a typo?

I had an '11 CVO RGU and ran a 13" Mako on it without any problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 14" mako on my 08, no buffeting.I also have the GADDS. I`m 6' w/32" inseam

·
Registered
248 Posts
more info

What windshield are you running now?

I am a little shorter than you and on a 2007 run a 14" Windvest, it works great for me.
My buddy runs a 13" WV not even close to the same protection

Every body knows, an inch here or there can make a lot of difference

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
If not Madstad, get a Wind Vest. Also try the Sancho Wings.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have an 09 RG, came with Klockworks 12", which I did not like. picked up a used wind vest 14", not much difference. got a used Cee Bailey 13" which I am mostly satisfied with.

I am 5'6" with 28 inseam and according to al the charts I should be using a shorter windshield. But I can just see over this one and I get minimial buffeting. I also have a reach seat that has been lowered so that affect everything.

My recommendation is : 1. ask around and see if people near you have left over windshields in their garage they are not using, I currently have two. Ask if you can try it for a few days. then give it back.

OR : 2. check ebay, swap meets, or parts for sale here and buy cheap used ones to try (even with scratches-they will be cheaper, you are interested in wind flow not looks). when you find one you like, keep it or buy new one like it, sell the rest.

When I get a chance I will look to see what the two in my garage are and will sell them if you are interested. send me PM.

I can tell you that two may look very similar but work very differently. good luck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a 09 CVO fitted with a Clearview windscreen and vented lowers. This set up is perfect for me and I'm same size as you.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Well if you TRUELY want to get rid of the buffeting then the Madstad is it. Keep this in mind.... I doesn't look as bad in person as it does in pics. It does have a money back guarantee so if you don't like how it looks and it doesn't perform for you you can return it. I am 6' 1" and it is recommended that I get the 14.5" but I run the 11" most of the time and it is smooth. The only time I go to my 13" is if I am going on a trip in colder weather. I had a 14" Windvest and I was very happy with it and thought the MS couldn't be that much better. Well it is and in my opinion the MS doesn't look any worse than any other 13" or taller windshield. Just my 2 cents because I felt the very same way you did and now I can't imagine having a Roadglide without an adjustable shield for different situations. Good luck!

One last note: I don't run lowers and it is still smooth.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I have a 08 FLTR which is the same frame as yours and I am the same height as you are and this is what will solve your problem.
The Gads and Shanco wings are a waste of money IMO I tried them both and even though the help some it wasn't enough.
I use Windvest windshields and I used the 14 inch and the 12 inch, right now I use the 12 inch.
85% of the air that causes the buffeting is coming from below the fairing, to verify that you can take your hands and feel the airflow around the fuel tank coming up into your face.
The best and only sure fix is to install HARD FAIRING LOWERS on your bike, the hard fairing lowers will take most if not all of the buffeting out of your ride.
I installed the 2010 RG fairing support brackets and the 2010 HD VENTED HARD FAIRING LOWERS and my buffeting is next to gone.
The 2010 fairing brackets raise the front fairing about 1 3/4 and tip the fairing about 2 degrees forward this allow enough room for the vented fairing lowers. That is why I can use the 12 inch windshield now.
You can buy Non-Vented fairing lowers that are Road Glide specific for the bike and you do not need to raise the fairing.
IMO it is worth the extra cost to raise the front fairing and use the vented fairing lowers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a almost new 16" klock weeks that I used once to go interstate. The ride is good and no buffering. You can hear the radio no problem at 75 80 mph. Iam selling it if you are interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Long Ride Shields has a deal going on now, you can get a Mako for around $50, for that price if you don't like it you can sell it. I had a 13" on my 05 and no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts