Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Last month a Bud and I did the Iron Butt Coast to Coast
Venture Ca and ended in Savannah Ga doing it in 48 hours and 40 minutes. On the way we encountered 38 to 100+ degree cold and heat. We spent days in the rain, got hit with sleet and hale. Even road thru a sand storm. In all a great trip. I know a few will say its crazy but the adventure is not just showing up.

The RD was great, I need to get a set of lowers or some thing to stop the buffeting.

http://youtu.be/qWkT5iv0KHQ

how do you embed youtube?

I tried but it didn't werk
JtB

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Outstanding and congrats!!! Can you give a little detail about the trip, such as how long you stopped to rest, sleep, if at all, eating on the go, etc. I did my first IBs this summer, SS1000 with a BB 1500 so I'm very interested in other people's success stories. Also, did it seem better to have a riding buddy than going it alone? Again, hats off on a great accomplishment!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the complements. The way we do the IB challenges is we rush out to meet or beat the time land take out time getting back.
Here is a link to the travel blog I did on HipGeo:
http://www.hipgeo.com/r/d_ztm8il

On the fist day we did about 1000 miles in about 18 hours and stopped for 5 hours of sleep. That was the only long stop we. The next day was 26 hours of riding. All of the rain slowed us down a bit.

For as for eating we snacked at the fueling. I brought some protean drinks too. Fuel stops ranged from 10 min to 30 min depending on what was offered at the stop. Also Each of the 3 days of the 50cc we stopped for 4 meals as in sit down and eat and get off the bike. Dry off, clean up, check in with the wives.

My thoughts on the doing a longer Iron Butt ride. I would not to this alone nor would I do this with most of my friends. It is vary stressful on the body and mind. Before starting out we knew do to the weather we might not be able to beat the time limit, and agreed not to push it the point one us would get hurt. As well on tough on the bike. As a warm up for this Jason (on his Street Glide) and I did the Border to Border last year.

I would be happy to answer any other questions fire away.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
656 Posts
WoW - :eek:

I used the following to embed your vid -

Use the youtube with the [ ] brackets around it.
Next, copy and paste the youtube code to your video.
Next, use the [/youtube] command.

Your specific link is qWkT5iv0KHQ.
You can find it in the entire link below to see what it looks like.
I removed the http & www from the beginning of the url address below, otherwise the entire address would not show.

/watch?v=qWkT5iv0KHQ&feature=youtu.be

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Congrats on the great ride and thanks for posting the video. Awesome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Stickman81 for the embed.

Frodoe yea I would do it again. One of the hard parts for me is being away from home for 2 weeks. We ended up cutting 2 days off this trip.

I think the next bike trip might be a Grand Canyon. Not an Iron Butt time challenge but will be the start of the park challenge.

One of the questions I get is about communications, I got the CB up and running before we left but Jason did not get a headset in time. The funny thing is it does not make a difference with us. Nether of us have a lot to say when riding hand signals work.

Last bit of advice I can say, If you have something that is not working for you on the bike, it will be a big pain after hours in the saddle. If it's bugging you now it's going to drive you crazy on the road. I have not worked out wind management and the back the buffeting was beating the crap out of me.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Congratulations on a safe trip and for the posts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts