Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issue with hearing my Radio since I bought this bike. I eventually blew out the speakers, so I upgraded the speakers to the next step up. That did not help. So here I am at the dealer today. suiting up due to the colder weather , and I have the radio on, rockin' to the beat, then when I switched the switch from AUX to Run, the radio goes completely fuzzy, no signal at all. Turn it back to aux, and the sound is clear as hell. No wonder I could never hear the radio when I was riding!!!! So seeing as I am at the HD dealership, I go in and drag out one of their people to see/listen to it. He is quite confused as well after I showed him the issue, So he goes and gets another tech, who see it. He says the power antenna is not hooked to the correct power source. I have no idea what that is about. All I know is the hidden antenna in my fairing plugs into the back of the radio, like a normal radio antenna would. Is there some sort of additional power source as well required for these antennas?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Yes. They need a power supply and on the older models you usually get it from the back of the cigarette lighter plug. Don't know about the new bikes but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Yes. They need a power supply and on the older models you usually get it from the back of the cigarette lighter plug. Don't know about the new bikes but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer.
What bikes had power antennas ? My 2010 didn't.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 2013RG model
If anyone knows, where does the antenna pick up it's power from? Mine is the hidden type inside the fairing. It was that way when I bought it, so I have no idea how or what they did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know if it is the same but on my 2015 I just installed the hidden antenna in my fairing and mine got power from an auxiliary plug that was already under the fairing.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
What bikes had power antennas ? My 2010 didn't.
The stock antennas don't need the power supply but the HD and some other hidden antenna's do.

Diverrick; said:
Mine is a 2013RG model
If anyone knows, where does the antenna pick up it's power from? Mine is the hidden type inside the fairing. It was that way when I bought it, so I have no idea how or what they did.
I was assuming you had a Rushmore model (15'/16')
If yours is a 13' then it is like I stated, the power connector for the antenna is one that you unplug the wires from the back of the cigarette lighter, then plug in the antenna power wires to the cigarette lighter prongs, the plug the wires for the cigarette lighter onto the back of those wires. It's a piggyback system. I'm not a real fan of the HD hidden antenna anyway. There are some aftermarket ones that pick up way better and I'm getting ready to switch mine out. You can find some of them on Amazon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the comments. seeing as it is raining here, I think I'll take off the fairing and have a look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is a 2013RG model
you should be able to trace the wire from the hidden antenna ....the bigger wire goes into the back of the radio and the smaller wire would be your power...just follow it from the antenna and see where it is connected...I just ran mine to the cigarette lighter power...hope this helps

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 12 has a hidden antenna and it gets its power from the cig lighter

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the fairing off and found it wired just as you guys said it would be. Power comes of the Cig lighter, as well as the ground. I could not see anything wrong visually. I messed around with the plugs at the lighter, and the problem seems to have resolved itself. Must have been a poor connection of some sort.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the problem is back, if it ever went away in the first place. Cannot use the radio at all when in ignition position. Works perfect on Access position. I have the LED head lights with little fans on the back to keep them cool. I wonder if they are part of the problem? That would be too bad, as I REALLY like them. They are far brighter than the factory head lamps they replaced.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Start with a meter set to DC Volts. Check for power at the cigarette lighter when in run and accessory. You will probably find you are not getting power when in run. If that is the case you will have to see why. I don't have wiring diagrams from your year so I can't give any additional help.

Are there aux switches on your dash/nacelle? Are they on?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aux switch is off, cruise is on. I will go out and play with that today seeing as I strained my ACL yesterday, I am not going anywhere right now. May not even make it to work on Monday.

·
Registered
483 Posts
it could be interference from the headlights , before you pull the fairing you could try pulling the fuse for the headlights and see if that resolves the issue if it does you may just need to relocate the antenna or just the wiring

·
Registered
177 Posts
it could be interference from the headlights , before you pull the fairing you could try pulling the fuse for the headlights and see if that resolves the issue if it does you may just need to relocate the antenna or just the wiring
I second this idea. Seems that amplifiers are causing the same issue; so it's quite possible that the LED power converters are doing the same thing!

Good luck with your ACL!! Hope you heal fast!

-G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts