Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like the pullback and wrist position of the stock HD heritage bars and would like to put them on our 2010, is there a FAT bar out there with the same dimentions.
Thankx

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Heritage bars

I changed my stock bars for the Heritage bars for Touring models on my Road Glide. Great bars for me! $80 for the bars. Had the ISO grips and heaters put on. Big difference! :D The cables did not have to be changed out either. Quick and cheap.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
part umbers and previous thread link

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=1726

Before H-D switched to throttle-by-wire, a lot of people put the bars from the Heritage Softail Classic (56623-99) on their touring bikes. The new throttle sensor, installed in the right end of the bar on touring bikes forced a change to the bars. There are three notches in the end of the bar (to keep the sensor from rotating) and an opening in the middle of the bar for the wires of the sensor.

Because of the popularity of the Heritage bars, Harley introduced a bar for touring bikes with identical dimensions as the Heritage bar and with the notches and wire opening. They named the bar, "Heritage Style Handlebar" (56902-08 Chrome) and (55864-09 satin black).

The advantages of th ebar are - it doesn't require new cables/wires and it is taller, allowing it to be tilted back, closer the the rider.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you are wanting a bar with the same Heritage specs but fat enough to internal wire?
Yes, same spec's but I'd like the strength of the thicker bar as well as being able to do the internal wiring.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
CVO bars

My buddy got his CVO bars put on his 09 SERG yesterday. Internally wired.
First thing he said, " these remind me of my Heritage bars i had on my old road King, we called em plow bars". He rode em home 100 miles, and said, " man I think i got this dialed in now. These bars are so comfortable".
Let me know if you want a couple of pictures. I cant seem to upload as the file size is too big.
i wonder if these 2011 CVO Bars are the same bars as the new "heritage style" bars?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You might want to check out the 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Bars too.
Sat on one at Sturgis, and was really impressed with how comfortable they felt.
I agree but the OP was looking for chubby's. I saw the CVO Road Glide on Monday and the bars appeared to be very skinny. Just saying this based on my visual perception so I may be wrong. That said, they're very reminiscent of Heritage bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=1726

Before H-D switched to throttle-by-wire, a lot of people put the bars from the Heritage Softail Classic (56623-99) on their touring bikes. The new throttle sensor, installed in the right end of the bar on touring bikes forced a change to the bars. There are three notches in the end of the bar (to keep the sensor from rotating) and an opening in the middle of the bar for the wires of the sensor.

Because of the popularity of the Heritage bars, Harley introduced a bar for touring bikes with identical dimensions as the Heritage bar and with the notches and wire opening. They named the bar, "Heritage Style Handlebar" (56902-08 Chrome) and (55864-09 satin black).

The advantages of th ebar are - it doesn't require new cables/wires and it is taller, allowing it to be tilted back, closer the the rider.
Thanks for the part # when I talked to my HD dealer they stated I would have to purchase a new throttle sensor for $97. is this a true statement? Has anyone successfully changed out bars with the original throttle sensor?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
It may be true with the one inch bar.
My buddy has the '09 SERG which comes stock with the part your dealer is telling you to replace. I think it has something to do with the Green plug on the TBW, where as the Screamin Eagle does not have the green plug.

·
Registered
233 Posts
you can definitely replace your stock bars with heritage bars on a 2010 and not need anything else. i did it! theres plenty of loose wire to make it work without any extensions. BUT, in order to get to the wiring, you will have to take the fairing off.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I swapped over to the Heritage Bars, and did not replace anything! This includes the TGS (Twist Grip Sensor for $97), but you must be careful, because if you should happen to bust any of the plastic on it, then you would need the new one.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I stopped at the dealer today to pick up a billet cam plate. I saw the CVO Road Glide Ultra and snapped a photo of the bars for you. I sat on the bike and they were very comfortable. When I ride with the stock bars my arms are almost fully extended. With the Heritage bars, my arms had a lot of bend. It was nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put the 56902-08 Heritage Style bars on my FLTRU this past weekend. It made a HUGE difference in rider comfort. Now I don't feel like I struggling to reach the HBs anymore and it offers a much better rider position. The outer fairing had to be removed/re-installed to access the throttle sensor connector, but there is plenty of wire harness length to do the swap without having to buy anything extra. The only way I was able to re-install the fairing was to remove the headlight assy in order to verify everything aligned ok. I would recommend these handle bars for anyone that doesn't like the stock bars. They make just enough difference to make the bike comfortable. These are the bars that should have been on the bike from the factory. Once the outer fairing is removed, and the nacelle and instrument panel removed, the actual bar swap was very easy. I also changed the grips at this time. You can also use the stock clutch cable with these bars. I didn't break anything or lose any hardware, so this mod was a success!

D

·
Registered
137 Posts
you can definitely replace your stock bars with heritage bars on a 2010 and not need anything else. i did it! theres plenty of loose wire to make it work without any extensions. BUT, in order to get to the wiring, you will have to take the fairing off.
how about on a 09? are the cables and wires long enough??????

1 - 20 of 37 Posts