Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have owned either I ask, with a windshield, are these bikes okay for Cross Country Runs or even 300 mile days in the Country? - I know, right seat makes a difference but curious about the bike itself handling Hwy Speeds and Wind for hours at a time and even the wind off a Semi passing by or being passed

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Cant speak to cross country runs, but did a few 250 or so mile days on the 02 and 96 softail. Little more turbulence than the RGU around semis, similar to the batwing. I was very comfortable on both and would not have hesitated to hop on either one of them to head for a long trip. Never did because I had the couch on wheels in the garage. Never did more than a quick trip to dinner with a passenger on the softail though so that may change things.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant speak to cross country runs, but did a few 250 or so mile days on the 02 and 96 softail. Little more turbulence than the RGU around semis, similar to the batwing. I was very comfortable on both and would not have hesitated to hop on either one of them to head for a long trip. Never did because I had the couch on wheels in the garage. Never did more than a quick trip to dinner with a passenger on the softail though so that may change things.
Yeah Yeah......now to the point..........WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN Sunshine?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yeah Yeah......now to the point..........WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN Sunshine?
Life has been kicking my ass brother. Hit bottom, am clawing my way back up now, and glad to see a lot hasn't changed. Other than I think you bought a CVO? It's only been a few months but I've probably missed 6 or 7 bikes in that time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
For those that have owned either I ask, with a windshield, are these bikes okay for Cross Country Runs or even 300 mile days in the Country? - I know, right seat makes a difference but curious about the bike itself handling Hwy Speeds and Wind for hours at a time and even the wind off a Semi passing by or being passed

Will the bike handle it, sure. My brother and I ran many 200-300+ mile days with his Softail and my RG. But when we got back I walked a lot better than he did, and I'm a decade older. He's on an 85 TG now ... Must have got tired of looking like a geriatric zombie on the dismount.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Life has been kicking my ass brother. Hit bottom, am clawing my way back up now, and glad to see a lot hasn't changed. Other than I think you bought a CVO? It's only been a few months but I've probably missed 6 or 7 bikes in that time.
Hahahahaha.......still on the CVO.....and have been since WAAAAAAAAY back in Oct of '18

Sorry to hear of this my man but I know you are a good cat and you can't keep the good ones down - Hate hearing of this but love hearing that you are on the up........:wink:

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta ask, what brings about the question?
Just looking at everything I got going on now and what my 5 year plan is (after the youngest finishes HS) and then looking at my Stable - Dyna stays, Bonnie stays........do I REALLY need a $40K CVO in my Garage? - What rolls does the RG play......Long Hauls Rides (SW and Such) and then days like last weekend where we bomb SE Wisc for 200+ miles........could not give these rides up...........but do I need the RG for them? LOVE the Tunes, GPS, Susp, Power, Storage and overall ride but pushing this 1000lb Sofa around the garage to get it parked and out for a ride are beginning to take its toll on the back - Yes, I could get a rolling stand, I know........just thinking out loud really - Nothing in HDs lineup can match what I have "Check for Check" but just curious what I could live without - I can BT Tunes to a Speaker like on Will's Kid's Bike.......I can use the same set up for Google Maps on the phone.....but will I be let down by the ride? - Will I miss a in dash GPS? - Will I miss a good system? - Will I miss the Wind Mgt of the Rushmore Faring? - Answer to all of those is more than likely Yes......just curious what I could replace the CVO with and still be happy and the only thing that comes to mind is a Heritage Softail with the 114 and Mono Shock (stage 2'ed of course) or a Road King....both with a Windshield and Floor Boards

Just thunking out loud really and am certain I would be let down if I tried to be happy on anything else......like this

https://www.lakeshoreharley.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2018-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Scooter-FLHCS-Softail-Heritage-Classic-114-115th-Anniversary-Softail-Milwaukee-HD-7200107?ref=list

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
can't speak for a road king, but i and the wife rode out to the Springfield Mile (300 mi) years ago on my '94 Heritage before i had the engine replaced.

you won't miss the 100 lb weight difference, or much storage (not that you store anything anyway on your rides anyway).

i think the wind (in the face and ears) is better on the FLSTC; it's not as stable at 80+ mph or when you pass trucks, but it's manageable. nothing keeping 2 hands on the bars and taught neck bearings won't cure.

haven't ridden the new ones, but with that M8 and super duper rear suspension i would definitely take a look and a good test ride.

you'll miss all the creature comforts, but i don't pay much attention to them when i'm in the breeze anyway.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Absolutely! And if you are talking about the newer 18' and up Softail I'll take it over the King. With the RK it's the same drill as our beloved Sharks in that you will want to upgrade the rear shocks right out of the box. With the new Softails the mono-shock in the rear is by far a better ride and handling. If I were going that route and trying to choose between those 2 bikes I would have to think long and hard to not go with the Softail.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thx Lads - By no means am I doing anything right now....not with SW coming up and the season just kicking off here in the Mid West - Was just exploring any options I may have but something tells me I would be let down going off the CVO on Os to anything else.......and yes, @RGKen I agree on the Mono Shock of the Heritage.....and with the 114, I cannot see that being boring to ride......but also cannot see it compare to the RG for a ride to SW

I also have a soft spot for the Nostalgic look of the Heritage

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
The older Softails can't compete to the RG. The King's wind management is comparable to the Softail. The ride and handling is better on the King. I can't comment on the newer Softail.
I have an 05 Deluxe and would ride it anywhere but why should I when the RG is there.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Had an 05 Classic Springer. Like a heritage but just no where near as ugly. It got blown around pretty good. I had that when I bought my street Glide. 3 months in and about 5k on the SG and 500 on the ST. I sold the ST. They're not going to be what a RK is to touring. We have a friend that's going with us for the 8 day trip. He has an ugly ass Heritage. I'm sure he's going to be a lot more tired than we are. I know without a doubt I'd go RK before I ever considered a ST.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Eddie this is fucking crazy. This afternoon I was telling one of the guys I ride with all the same shit as to why I am thinking of looking at a Heritage Classic. As a matter of fact I told my wife I may take a ride down to Heritage and talk to Joe P in the morning to pick his brain.
Wow this is nutty!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I could never get rid of the buffeting with the ‘17 Road King. Tried taller, shorter but the best was with no windshield. Couldn’t handle more than 55 without a shield on an upright bike. I can comfortably do 100 on a sport standard naked bike.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts