Road Glide banner

Heritage Style Bars

19K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  ichiban 
#1 ·
Today I installed the heritage style bars on my 11 RGU. The stock bars were giving me a pain right between the shoulder blades, even after rolling them back some.

Install went suprising well, but did take all afternoon. I started to take pics as I was installing to refer back to when I hooked some of the stuff back up. Then I realized that there is tons of talk on the forum about bars. So I took pictures comparing the 2. Both on and off the bike. You can't really see a lot of difference from the rear shots, but the side shot REALLY SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE.

Hope this helps those trying to decide. I know I looked on here for WEEKS before deciding. The job wasn't too bad. I was pretty much scared sh!tless when I started, but I just took my time and luckily everything sync'd in place for me.

NOTE: I was told by dealership that I would need the longer throttle by wire cable, which was I believe $90. I DID NOT NEED! I used stock TBW cable and had some room to spare. You can believe I'm gonna take it back and exchange for some chrome! As you can see from pics we have snow on ground, so I wasn't able to ride. But I gotta tell you that just sitting on it feels tremendously better. I have that slight bend in the elbow and upright enough to have no pressure on back, but not so much to make me look like a dork.

Billy

BEFORE :

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

See less See more
#3 ·
I had a friend do this on his 2010 and he wouldn't go back. Really looking at this for my ride...please let me know your impression when you're able to get it on the road.

GRG

#4 ·
Looks like I'm gonna be able to get her on the road tomorrow for my new years day ride. 90 % of the snow is melted off streets. Will just have to keep eyes open for other 10 on the back streets.

Will let you know tomorrow my impressions.

#6 · (Edited)
harvesthunt,
Very well done, thank you for your time in posting pictures. I do want to get my bars pulled back, but want the hands to stay in the pocket so to speak, out of the air stream. Please check that out on your ride and post your opinion. Also, would you post the part number you used.
Thanks' again,
Al in AK

Eddit for part number. Did you use part # 56902-08 ?

#7 ·
Thanks for the info . Ive been thinking about putting them on my 11 rgu . YOur pics show a big difference so i will be getting mine monday . I had 04 and earlier wide glide bars on my 06 rg and they helped a bunch . These look like they will do the same thing with the new bike. Thanks

#8 ·
They look good. Don't know if any of you guys have this issue, but with the stock bars and mirrors, I get a great view of my shoulders, and not much else. Another advantage to the heritage bars, I think, will be increased visibility in the mirrors . . . that way we can see the other vehicles disappear as we ride off!:D

#13 ·
Took the bike out for 150+ miles today. Wow! What a difference these bars made for me. Well worth a Friday afternoon install. I just need to tweak in the lever angle and might roll back bars just a wee bit more.

Yes my hands are still in the "pocket" and not out in the air stream. I moved my hands around looking for it and had plenty of room to go.

#14 ·
I am really excited to hear your input and see your comparison pictures. I just need to decide if I want chrome or black. I was almost certain I wouldn't want black bars but the more I think about it, the more I think about it, lol.

#18 ·
Heritage bars for me also, got mine rolled up to match the fork tube lines - I love them there, but I'm over 6' and have long arms and at full lock I need them.. Also takes your hands out of the pocket, but that doesn't bug me.

Bottom line, Cheap - got take off bars for free, they knew I'd be back for stainless lines.. and way comfy.

Dirk
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

#19 ·
These pics of your bars make me really want a set on mine. The install looks pretty straight forward. Did you have to take your tank off to reroute the clutch cable My local HD dealer wants TWO (2) hours of labor to install them. That seems really high to me.

#28 ·
The heritage bars are a big comfort improvement for me. The only internal wire is your TBW. The clutch cable and switch wires are external and a little snug but not too tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.