Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a different thread to get a better understanding of how running speakers in parallel worked. Am considering adding an identical pair of Hawg Wired ZX speakers and running them in parallel with the ones I already have off of the RS400 amp (am thinking of adding lowers for the second pair). These speakers are rated at 90 db sensitivity. Was wondering from those of you that have experience with Hertz or Focal what would be the better improvement all around. Am looking at the HSK 165XL from Hertz thats rated at 93.5 db sensitivity or comparable speakers from Focal. The ZX's retail for for $200 so that would be the cheapest route by far. I've never heard the Hertz in person, just read comments about them on the forum. I've heard the Focals but not just a 2 speaker system on a bike. I know you pay more for higher end pieces of the puzzle, just wondering if I would have a better end result with 4 of the ZX's in parallel or by spending the extra cash on one pair of higher end speakers and replacing the ZX's I currently have.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have two sets of hawg wired 6.5's (focals under the hawg wired name) in my fairing and my lowers powered by a rs400 amp and I can tell you it sounds great but it's missing bass and a set of 6x9's in the lids sound so much better. All around better sound.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
There is someone here who was in your exact situation this year. Switched from (4) ZXs to (4) Hertz HCX-165 and hasn't looked back. As for the comparison between Focal and Hertz, DBell is the resident stereo nut and he went from Focal to Hertz and is happy :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are the HSK-165's worth the extra money?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm running a pair of Focal 165 KRC and a set of HAt 5x7's in my lids. I want to add a pair of inner fairing speakers and thought about giving the Hertz HCX-165's a try.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I ran HCX-165 all last year. Sic26 has the HSK165 XL. I've heard them side by side with the same amp and yes its worth it. The XLs have a bigger, more well constructed tweeter and a better woofer. They are power hungry though. Get a good amp. I have a set of XLs waiting to go in right now.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
I've had both Hertz and Focal, (also Hawgwired, never knew they were made by Focal :eek: ), anyway, the Hawgwired doesn't compare IMO, they sound ok, but the Hertz and Focal sound so much better....... hard to believe Focal makes the ZX :what: IMO for the 6x9s the Hertz are definitely better than Focal. When it comes to 6.5 components I believe the Focal K series has an edge, but they should, they cost over twice as much as the Hertz HSK 165xl, the Focal series in the same price range as the HSKs don't sound as good IMO. Since for some crazy reason I wanted to match, I'm running all Hertz now, except the inner fairing Infinity, (still don't want to cut my glove boxes). Long story short, the extra amount for Hertz or Focal are worth it IMO. Still trying to wrap my mind around Focal making Hawgwired, lol.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards replacing the ZX's with the Hertz for now and just sticking with one pair. I can always add more later. Do you think the RS400 amp is good enough to drive them? They're rated more efficient than the ZX's are.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards replacing the ZX's with the Hertz for now and just sticking with one pair. I can always add more later. Do you think the RS400 amp is good enough to drive them? They're rated more efficient than the ZX's are.
I have 2 RS400S and a CS300 in my fairing, perfectly happy with the power and performance, but I may be biased, I like my amps in the fairing and have been dealing with Hawgwired since 2007.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ran the hcx 165's and hcx690 last year and recently switched to 4 sv165's 2 st35 and the pair of hcx690. Only listened to it for a few minutes during mock up. But it sounded great in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
I ran the hcx 165's and hcx690 last year and recently switched to 4 sv165's 2 st35 and the pair of hcx690. Only listened to it for a few minutes during mock up. But it sounded great in my garage.
The sv165's with st35's volume wise are going to blow the hcx and hsk out of the water, but the quality isn't the same. I've seen people run the hcx with the st25 or 35 for really crisp highs. Either way it depends on what your looking for, at speed you loose a lot of sound quality, so of coures the sv's with the st's are going to stand out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Will the Hertz SV165.1 fit in the fairing, front lowers, or the tour-pak pods?
Also where can you mount the Hertz ST35 or ST25 Compression Drivers on a Road Glide Ultra with Front Lowers?
I would also wonder if the Hertz MLK165.3 Legend would fit in the fairing, front lowers, or the tour-pak pods?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also where can you mount the Hertz ST35 or ST25 Compression Drivers on a Road Glide Ultra with Front Lowers?
I would also wonder if the Hertz MLK165.3 Legend would fit in the fairing, front lowers, or the tour-pak pods?
Rushmore bike?

They don't fit without some pod cutting. I'm using the DD VO's and had the same issue. I cut holes in the pods and then used some dynamat to seal it back up over the magnet sticking out the hole :p

I think with some spacers you can fit the SV's in the lowers (I've seen this on the other forums)

Tour Pak pods, not a chance I'm afraid without so major modding and spacers.

I've seen the MLK's mounted in the fairing and the tweeters mounted in the grills (couple shops do this for you for free with purchase).

The MLK's will be better sound quality but the SV's will be louder.

I went the pro audio route myself, my thinking was you loose bass and sound quality while riding so may as well take advantage of the loudness ;)

As for horns, I mounted my horns in the glove box lids, I actually fubar'd up so I took them to a local shop and had them fab up some uberness.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts

You can mount the st25/35 under the radio of a Rushmore bike as long as you are not putting the amp below the radio in the fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rushmore bike?

They don't fit without some pod cutting. I'm using the DD VO's and had the same issue. I cut holes in the pods and then used some dynamat to seal it back up over the magnet sticking out the hole :p

I think with some spacers you can fit the SV's in the lowers (I've seen this on the other forums)

Tour Pak pods, not a chance I'm afraid without so major modding and spacers.

I've seen the MLK's mounted in the fairing and the tweeters mounted in the grills (couple shops do this for you for free with purchase).

The MLK's will be better sound quality but the SV's will be louder.

I went the pro audio route myself, my thinking was you loose bass and sound quality while riding so may as well take advantage of the loudness ;)

As for horns, I mounted my horns in the glove box lids, I actually fubar'd up so I took them to a local shop and had them fab up some uberness.
Hello

What's the name of the shop who did your glove box for your horns?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts