Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome! Just friggin' awesome!!

A portion of 129 was closed due to a landslide over the weekend, but by the time I got there from Key West, it was all clear. Hester handled really well. I'm glad I installed the Ohlins in the rear, but now I gotta get some Progressive Monotubes in the front. The front end brake diving is intolerable.

I'll post a longer write-up with details when I get home later this week. Gotta get past the storms that are battering the southeast.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Do the Monotubes sooner rather than later, you'll be glad you did. I just put them in my '11 RGU and the brake dive was the first thing I checked, it's virtually non-existent now unless you really jump the brakes hard. The ride has firmed up some, but not much.
If you are considering the lowered version be aware that the 1" drop lowered mine almost 1-1/2" when using 2 C-clips. Works out OK on mine because I have the rear lowered 1" also, but could be objectionable to some.

Always great to see your reports, looking forward to meeting you at Shark Week.

Tom

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Everything I've heard about the Montubes are very good, but I went w/ a higher wieght Fork Oil & 2 OZ more than called for in my forks & it made a HUGE difference......Eliminated the dive........Glad you enjoyed your ride Shrug.......it's an awesome stretch of road.......I hope you were able to Cherahola as well..........

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dude...I'm jealous, but in the nicest way possible!

You may want to hold out on the PS mono tubes. Ohlins is coming out with their version, according to Howard's web site.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
In MO weather hiden your way it has rained its ass off better get east bond and down not cold but lots of rain. rode the D.T. last may did it on a wensday locals say crotch rockets try to push hog riders off had alittle of it when we rode it but I made it hard for the little bastards be safe on the way home and I hope you smiled pretty for the cameras you lucky dog

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude...I'm jealous, but in the nicest way possible!

You may want to hold out on the PS mono tubes. Ohlins is coming out with their version, according to Howard's web site.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'll hit Howard up.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In MO weather hiden your way it has rained its ass off better get east bond and down not cold but lots of rain.

I'm expecting to get wet around the TN/ARK state line. I can ride in the rain and anyone who was at the Daytona Bike Week meet and greet last Tuesday knows Hester needs a bath!

rode the D.T. last may did it on a wensday locals say crotch rockets try to push hog riders off had alittle of it when we rode it but I made it hard for the little bastards be safe on the way home and I hope you smiled pretty for the cameras you lucky dog
I didn't have any issues with the crotch rockets. The road was pretty empty, presumably because of the closure earlier this week. The crotch rockets I saw blasted by so fast I had little chance to notice them. Those guys are insane. I'm hoping one of the three photo guys sitting along the road got a decent shot of Hester for my cave wall.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Looks and sounds like you had a great time. I want to get back to Deals Gap sometime soon, the last time was about 10 years ago when it was not near as nice as it is now.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
While I believe Ohlins will do a good job with their front fork solution, it would be hard to beat Progressive Monotubes.
You know what they say about waiting for the next best thing...

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Sounds like a great time man. Had a chance to make it down there last year but had to back out last min due to work issues. Ill get there eventually damn it!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Killboy usually has some good shots. I love just diggin through his website for some of the crazy stuff he captures on film up there. On a busy weekend the crotch-rockets can be dicks, but in general everbody's cool. I live in Maryville, about 25-30 minutes away. Glad you had a good time! if you didn't get too this time, next time be sure and hit the Cherohala Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway as well!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yeah I love Deals Gap & Maggie Valley made up there last year and plan to a couple times this year as well as the Blue Ridge.

Sounds like all and all you had a great trip. How did u like the Key West part?

·
Registered
593 Posts
We did the Tail last September after talking to the owner of Deal's Gap. His comments, travel in September after the yahoo's put their kids back in school, travel before the leaves turn to stay away from the leaf gazers and if possible ride the tail during the week. We went 2nd week in September and had very little traffic. In fact rode the tail both directions twice before heading for other side roads in the area. btw heading home to DC staying on the Blue Ridge Parkway. What a trip . . . only saw a handful of cars the entire ride home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love riding 129 I have but prob 10k miles on my sporty up there over the last few years, have not made it up there on the new bike yet but I plan to in the next few weeks !

·
Registered
946 Posts
Excellent!! The Dragon's Tail has been callin gme for many years now, definitely on my bucket list.

I've ridden up to Alaska, every mile of State Highway 191 from the Mexican border to the Canadian border, a lot of riding west of Tennesse (border to border north and south), east to Ontario, and pretty much every paved road here in Alberta and in BC (also some that aren't :eek:).

One of these years I'll take a couple of months ;) and ride eastern Canada and US.

Every day is a great day for a ride and every ride is a great one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts