Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might not remember, but a while ago Mark from Madstad Engineering was looking for someone with a '15 RG to be the tester for his new windshield. I volunteered since I pretty local to him, and because I've never used his shield. Earlier this week, Mark called me as he had the prototype complete, so this morning I rode up and conducted some test rides. Now I understand what you Madstad owners are talking about. My opinion is the most versatile and functional windshield for several reasons. 1. Quick detachable system allows you to remove the outer shield and ride with the inner shield only. 2. Shield can be quickly adjusted "up-and-down" and tilted inwards or outwards to find the best air for solo and 2-up riding.
I'll ride with the prototype this week while Mark and his team finalize the fit and design. Once complete, I'll test out the final version and hopefully he'll have it ready for a great X-Mas or New Years gift.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Madstad owner and 2015 owner here....5'9" and I have less wind and buffeting with the 15" Wind Vest on my 2015 than I had in 40,000 miles behind my Madstad.............
Will be interested to see what it looks like though.....I actually loved the way mine looked and as an aircraft person I appreciate the aero-physics behind the system.
Harley DEFINITELY took Mark's idea to heart when they designed the new vent system! As well as Sancho's wings! Hope they both got money for the theft......?:eek:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Madstad owner and 2015 owner here....5'9" and I have less wind and buffeting with the 15" Wind Vest on my 2015 than I had in 40,000 miles behind my Madstad.............
Will be interested to see what it looks like though.....I actually loved the way mine looked and as an aircraft person I appreciate the aero-physics behind the system.
Harley DEFINITELY took Mark's idea to heart when they designed the new vent system! As well as Sancho's wings! Hope they both got money for the theft......?:eek:
I'm 5'10" and the only comparison I can give is the CVO OEM windshield and the 13" prototype currently on my bike. There is less wind/noise and no buffeting over the stock shield even when I put it in different positions. For example, my "sweet spot" is when I can look 1-2" above the shield and it tilted all the way back towards me. I'm in a cocoon of calm air where you literally could have a conversation at a normal tone. I then tilt it all the way out where I had to look threw it and I could tell the air flow went even higher over my head; great to kick it over the passenger which my wife will test out today. I tested it in 12 different positions (low, med, high height with back, middle, and forward tilt). 9 of 12 positions were better than the stock shield; the other 3 will be corrected this week with a tweak of the design.

Without revealing any pix of a prototype product,,,, what's your opinion on the looks on the new shark?
It looks good but it will look even better with the changes we discussed yesterday. I'm no engineer but I'm one of those guys that "looks" are important. Functionality and appearance needs to be balanced, and I think the changes being made will meet this requirement. I'll let know when later this week.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUICK DETACH???? That sounds good Mark. Could that be adopted for the older design as well?

·
Registered
86 Posts
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!! I've been holding out, eating a lot of wind, and pretending as if I didn't have a radio, every since I got my 2015 special. When I traded my 2011 RG in (and of course I took the Madstad off). Sold it on eBay to someone who's probably enjoying the heck out of it, he got two shields to boot, but I got a pretty decent sale price, so I was happy and the buyer too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 11 had an 11" Madstad. My 15 has a 10" Windvest. As of right now I don't see the need for one on the 15. It did work like nothing else on the 11.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Hey Sarge,,,, what happened to the windshield trim on your bike? Will if still fit with the new 'Stad? Those chrome screws on that black base shield look like hell.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Sarge,,,, what happened to the windshield trim on your bike? Will if still fit with the new 'Stad? Those chrome screws on that black base shield look like hell.
They still work and fit with the new shield. BTW: if Mark doesn't beat me to it, I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

The new shield looks great and works like a champ.

V/r

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUICK DETACH???? That sounds good Mark. Could that be adopted for the older design as well?
It can be, We will be offering this as an option for both the 2015 and pre-15 bikes.

For any existing systems, to "upgrade" to quick-release, would require a new base plate and some hardware.

Pictures of our latest version are up on website and can be seen here
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13283/.f

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have not been waiting. Installed my Klock Werks shield on last week and love it.
What gets me is how one would figure the correct height for all riders by offering lets say 4 heights and maybe 4 different shapes. We are such a diverse group in so many ways. Different heights, torso, leg length, seat height, tire size, height modification should I go on. Having the ability to dial in your comfort zone with tilt/height adjustments is far more important to me in this case. An extra couple of weeks wait was not a big thing, because you knew what you were getting and what you could do with it. Cant wait to get mine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What gets me is how one would figure the correct height for all riders by offering lets say 4 heights and maybe 4 different shapes. We are such a diverse group in so many ways. Different heights, torso, leg length, seat height, tire size, height modification should I go on. Having the ability to dial in your comfort zone with tilt/height adjustments is far more important to me in this case. An extra couple of weeks wait was not a big thing, because you knew what you were getting and what you could do with it. Cant wait to get mine.
You're going to love the versatility of having multiple shield due to it being adjustable. When I want more air, I lower it; rain and 2-up, I raise and tilt it forward. When I want to be sporty, I take it off. Also, Mark is sending me another 13" shield to test out that will fit inside the tour-pak (length made smaller by +/- 2"). This way you can lock it up if you want or go with the sport look while out riding.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. :)

V/r

·
Registered
629 Posts
That is exciting Mark, I would love to have the option of quick detach for my 2011 FLTRX. Let us know when the "upgrade" kit is available!
Ian

It can be, We will be offering this as an option for both the 2015 and pre-15 bikes.

For any existing systems, to "upgrade" to quick-release, would require a new base plate and some hardware.

Pictures of our latest version are up on website and can be seen here

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13283/.f

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
You're going to love the versatility of having multiple shield due to it being adjustable. When I want more air, I lower it; rain and 2-up, I raise and tilt it forward. When I want to be sporty, I take it off. Also, Mark is sending me another 13" shield to test out that will fit inside the tour-pak (length made smaller by +/- 2"). This way you can lock it up if you want or go with the sport look while out riding.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. :)

V/r
Yep, had one on my 2011 RGU, it was the first and most thing I missed, so the wait was a no brainer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The pictures On the site is that the latest version of the shield, or are you still revising the shield to better match the lines?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

That is the latest revision as of right now, However if you would like a different shield shape or think that the shape could be different we are always looking for feedback and we can always make a custom shield.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts